Place:Arlesey, Bedfordshire, England

Watchers


NameArlesey
Alt namesAlriceseisource: Domesday Book (1985) p 29
Alriceseiasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 29
Alriceseiesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 29
Arlseysource: Family History Library Catalog
Arsleysource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeTown
Coordinates52.017°N 0.233°W
Located inBedfordshire, England
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Arlesey is a small industrial town and civil parish in the district of Central Bedfordshire in Bedfordshire. It is located near the border with Hertfordshire, about three miles north-west of Letchworth Garden City, four miles north of Hitchin and six miles south of Biggleswade. Arlesey railway station provides train services to London, Peterborough and Stevenage. The station opened in 1988 under Network South East. The old station was called Arlesey & Henlow and was shut to passengers in the 1960s. Arlesey Town Football Club has their ground to the south of the town.

The Domesday Book mentions Arlesey: The entry reads: Alricesei(a)/eie: Bishop of Durham; Bernard from William d'Eu; Herfast; from Nigel d'Aubigny; Wulfsi. 3 mills.

Spelling variations may include 'Arlychesey', seen in 1430, the home of the complainant William Bocher, husbandman. and 'Arlythesey', seen in 1418. That these refer to Arlesey is suggested in an earlier document: the index to one of the Patent Rolls of King Richard II.

Residents have claimed it to be the longest town in Britain.

St Peter's Church, situated in the Church End part of the town, was built in the 12th century by the monks of Waltham Abbey. Arlesey was the site of Etonbury Castle, of which little trace remains.

Arlesey Old Moat and Glebe Meadows nature reserves are just north of the town.

Major employers in Arlesey used to be the Fairfield Hospital (now re-developed as Fairfield Park) and the former brickworks (producers of the Arlesey Whites bricks seen in many local buildings). Some of the clay pits used by the brickworks are now lakes and there are also two disused Portland Cement Company chalk pits, one of which is the Blue Lagoon, which hosts fishing and sailing clubs. Although the lake is private, large numbers of people go there to swim. There have been a number of drownings that have been reported in the national news. In 2001 three children died when the car they were in was accidentally driven into the lake. Most recently a teenager drowned while swimming in April 2007.

Gothic Mede Academy is the towns Lower School has around 200 pupils aged 5 to 9. Younger children can attend the adjoining Arlesey Nursery School. Etonbury Academy is the town's middle school.

The Arlesey Bomb fishing weight was developed by angler, Dick Walker to catch specimen perch from the local chalk pits.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Arlesey. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.