Place:Hertford All Saints, Hertfordshire, England

NameHertford All Saints
Alt namesHertford All Saints with St Johnsource: full name of parish since 1640
TypeParish (ancient)
Located inHertfordshire, England
See alsoHertford Hundred, Hertfordshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Hertford, Hertfordshire, Englandmunicipal borough in which it was located until 1974
East Hertfordshire (district), Hertfordshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974

Hertford All Saints with St John is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the former Municipal Borough of Hertford in the county of Hertfordshire, England created in c 1640 from Hertford All Saints Ancient Parish and Hertford St John Ancient Parish. Other places in the parish include: Brickendon and Little Amwell.

Non-Church of England denominations identified in Hertford All Saints with St John include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Countess of Huntingdon Methodist, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist. (Source:English Jurisdictions 1851 provided by FamilySearch).

The complete parish covers a large rural area as well as the centre of Hertford itself. The rural section was made up of Brickendon Rural, St. John's Rural and Little Amwell which were considered parish liberties until they became civil parishes in the middle of the 19th century. (Source:The parish of Hertford All Saints as provided by British History Online)

Overview from GENUKI

  • The Parish Registers for the Parish of All Saints & St. John are deposited at Hertfordshire Record Office, County Hall, Hertford, SG13 8DE. [D/P48]. They exist for the periods:-
  • Baptisms - 1559-1675 and 1730-1973
  • Marriages - 1559-1675 and 1730-1973
  • Burials - 1559-1697 and 1730-1951
  • Bishop's Transcripts - 1604-1869
  • Entries from the Marriage Registers for the period 1559-1837 are included in The Allen Index at Hertfordshire Record Office.
  • The period 1559-1875 is covered by the IGI.
  • Transcripts of the parish registers for the period 1559-1881 are deposited at the Society of Genealogists, 14 Charterhouse Buildings, Goswell Road, London EC1M 7BA.

Further Research Tips