"The present parish of Brickendon Rural includes about 1,348 acres immediately south of All Saints' Church. A large part lay within the liberty of Brickendon, also belonging to the abbey of Waltham. (fn. 4) Brickendon Bury, the capital messuage of the manor of Brickendon, lies within Brickendon Rural. It stands on the summit of rising ground about a mile south of Hertford." (Source:Parishes: Hertford (All Saints' & St John's) in the Victoria County History of Hertfordshire, volume 3, written in 1912, as given below.)
Brickendon Rural was formed out in 1894 out of the Brickendon area which lay to the south of Hertford itself. In 1929 its name was changed to Brickendon Liberty when it was expanded to cover Hertford St. John Rural parish to the east. In 1935 it was expanded to the east again when it absorbed part of Hoddesdon Rural parish. Under both names it was a part of Hertford Rural District.