Place:Little Amwell, Hertfordshire, England

NameLittle Amwell
Alt namesEmmewellesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 136
Hertford Heathsource: Modern name of parish
Coordinates51.7872°N 0.0459°W
Located inHertfordshire, England
See alsoHertford Hundred, Hertfordshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Hertford All Saints, Hertfordshire, Englandparish in which it was located until 1864
Hertford, Hertfordshire, Englandmunicipal borough in which it was located until 1894
Hertford Rural, Hertfordshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1974
East Hertfordshire District, Hertfordshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Little Amwell from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"AMWELL. (Little), a chapelry in All Saints parish, Hertford; 1 mile W by S of Ware. Acres: 491. Real property: £3,019. Population: 500. Houses: 96. The living is a vicarage. Value: £90. The church was built in 1863."

Little Amwell is separated from Great Amwell by the River Lea and until 1864 was part of the parish of Hertford All Saints in the city of Hertford.

Research Tips