- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Alderton is a village and civil parish in the Tewkesbury District of Gloucestershire, England.
The village is about 15 miles (24 km) north of Cheltenham, 6 miles (10 km) east of Tewkesbury, 7.5 miles (12 km) south of Evesham and 15 miles (24 km) west of Stow-on-the-Wold. The main roads are the B4077 (Stow Road) and the A46. The village has about 500 residents.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Alderton, Gloucestershire.
A 19th century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Alderton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "ALDERTON, a parish in Winchcombe district, Gloucester; 5 miles ESE of Ashchurch [railway] station, and 9 NNE of Cheltenham. It has a post office under Cheltenham; and contains the hamlet of Dixton. Acres: 1,750. Real property: £2,067. Population: 487. Houses: 109. The property is subdivided. Here are remains of a Saxon camp. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £450. Patron: the Rev. Covey. The church is good. Charities, £20."
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- Alderton with Dixton in A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 6/Tewkesbury hundred in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Tewkesbury (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Cheltenham Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Alderton, Gloucestershire, England | Winchcombe Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Cheltenham Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England