Place:Albury, Oxfordshire, England

Alt namesAldburysource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates51.741°N 1.053°W
Located inOxfordshire, England
See alsoBullingdon Hundred, Oxfordshire, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Thame Rural, Oxfordshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1932
Bullingdon Rural, Oxfordshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1932-1974
South Oxfordshire District, Oxfordshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Albury from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"ALBURY, or Aldbury, a parish in Thame [registration] district, Oxford; near the river Thame, 3 miles NW of Tetsworth, and around Tiddington [railway] station. It includes Tiddington hamlet. Post Town: Tetsworth. Acres: 1,110. Real property: £1,281. Population: 183. Houses: 40. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value: £276. Patron: the Earl of Abingdon. The church is very good. Charities: £10."

Since 1932 Albury has been a village in the civil parish of Tiddington with Albury, about 5 miles (8 km) west of Thame in Oxfordshire, England. Prior to that it was a separate civil parish in the Thame Rural District.

Research Tips