William 'Grandfather Billy' McClung
Facts and Events
William McClung was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Processioning List of 1760
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Page 276.--1760: Processioned in Capt. Moore's Company by John Stephson, Nathaniel Evins: For Nathaniel Evins, for Wm. McCreerey, for Thos. Willson, for John Stevenson, for John McClung, for Wm. McClung, for Alex. Moore, for Adam Reed, for Wm. Hays, for Wm. Paris, for Thomas Bard, for John Cunningham, for Mathew Huston, for John Mountgumery, for Wm. Moore, for Wm. Lockridge, for Thomas Boyd, for John Boyd, for Thomas Hill, for Robert Ware (Wire), for Wm. Hays, for Wm. Beard, for Wm. Wardlaw, for Andrew Steel, for James Steel, for Joseph Kennedy, for John Lowry, for Samuel Huston, for James Eakins, for John Hanly, for John Logan, for Alex. Logan, for Alex. McNutt, for James McNutt, for John Rosman, for Andrew Dunkin, for John Wardlaw, for Wm. McCanless, for James Cowdan, for John Moore. (Note: William McClung and his father John are likely the ones listed in this processioning list).
- March 1833 - William McClung: Will: Dev.: John, James, William, Alex., Sam, Joseph, sons; Abigail Black, Jane Cavendish, daus.
- [Greenbrier County Estate Settlements, Pg. 202]
Records of William McClung in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - William McClung and Abigail, his wife, vs. Dickinson--O. S. 61; N. S. 21--Bill, 11th March, 1803. Adam Dickinson, grandfather of Abigail, intestate, leaving his son John. Abigail was very young and residing with her grandmother. Catherine, mother of John. John died without having complied with his agreement to pay Abigail £50. Then Catherine died testate. John died testate, leaving Martha, his widow; Adam and John Dickenson; John Shrewsberry and Martha, his wife; Samuel Shrewsberry and Mary, his wife; Joseph Kinkead and Nancy, his wife. Charles Lewis and Jane, his wife (which are widow, children, heirs and devisees of John Dickenson), Abigail was daughter and sole heir of Abigail Carpenter, deceased, who was daughter of Adam Dickinson. Catherine Dickinson's original will dated 17th February, 1790 (no certificate of probate). Son John, daughter Mary, granddaughter Nancy. A statement in the papers says Adam Dickenson died intestate, leaving one son John, a daughter Mary Davis, and Mrs. McClung, the only child of Abigail Carpenter. Adam Dickinson died about 1750. It was reported that William Tate was dead, but afterwards that he was alive in North Carolina and a Justice there. (Note: the date of Adam Dickinson's death was about 1760, not in 1750 as listed in this record. This record also establishes "Abigail Carpenter" (who married this William McClung) as a granddaughter of Adam Dickinson and "Mary Davis" as a daughter of Adam Dickinson).
- Vol. 2 - Huffman vs. Huffman--O. S. 235; N. S. 83--Bill, 1812. Will of Michael Huffman dated 26th March, 1807. Daughters, Rosannah, Mary; sons, Samuel, Nathaniel, Jonas. "Recorded, Lewis Stuart, C. G. C." Deed 9th September, 1809, by Andrew Moore and wife Sarah, to William McClung, tract, part in Greenbrier and part in Kenawha -- 43,417 acres on Gauley River and Homany Creek. Recorded in Greenbrier, March, 1810. Patent to Edward and Thomas Hughes, 400 acres on Gauley River in Kenawha, 6th January, 1800. Answer of Benj. Halsonpiller says Michael Hoffman died March, 1807. Bill filed by Jacob Fishback and Hannah, Michael Zimmerman and Elizabeth, Jacob Moisley and Susannah, Rosannah Huffman, Michael Miller, Wm. Moyers and Mary, Samuel, Jonas, Sawyers and Mary (widow of Nathaniel Huffman, deceased) Huffman, Ann, Mary and John Huffman (children of Nathaniel Huffman, deceased); Mary and John being infants. Michael Huffman had a daughter Minna who married Michael Miller, but she is since dead. Also a son Nathaniel who is dead, leaving widow and three children. Michael left Benj. and Anthony Huffman his executors. Benj. was son of Jacob. (Note: this is likely a record of this William McClung, since much of his wife's family had migrated to Greenbrier County and had also intermarried with the Hughes family mentioned).
- Vol. 2 - McClung vs. Bevins and Edgar--O. S. 254; N. S. 89--Bill, 1812. Complainants are William McClung and Robert Wahub. In 1782, William entered in Greenbrier 230 acres on Slab Camp Creek, a branch of Meadow River, including 100 acres entered by virtue of a military warrant, part of a survey made for William in 1776; another entry for 400 acres, and another for 71 acres. William and George Clendennin made a partnership to locate lands. Alexr. Welsh was surveyor of Greenbrier. Defendants are, viz: George Clendennin's heirs, viz: Andrew Bryan and Parthenia, his wife; _____ Lamb and Cynthia, his wife; John Cantrill and Polly, his wife; Henry Banks, Wm. Whitcroft, James, Henry and Ann Ringold, James Welsh, Richard Witherhead, James Bevins and Thomas Edgar. John Welch, son of Alexander Welch, deposes 23d February, 1814. (Note: this is likely a record of this William McClung).
Information on William McClung
William MCCLUNG [Parents] 1, 2 was born in 1738 in , Rockbridge, VA. He died on 18 Jan 1833. He was buried in Otter Creek Cem., Meadow Bluff, Greenbrier, VA. He married Abigail Dickson.
Abigail Carpenter 1, 2 was born in 1746 in Staunton, VA. She died on 7 Nov 1820 in Otter Creek, Meadow Bluff, Greenbrier Co., WV. She was buried in Otter Creek Cem., Meadow Bluff, Greenbrier, VA. She married William MCCLUNG.
They had the following children:
- M i John MCCLUNG was born on 10 Jan 1768. He died on 20 Jul 185
- M ii James MCCLUNG was born on 24 Mar 1770. He died on 24 Jul 182
- M iii William MCCLUNG was born on 11 Apr 1772. He died on 30 Apr 1853.
- F iv Catherine MCCLUNG was born on 7 Apr 1775.
- M v Joseph MCCLUNG was born on 20 Dec 1775.
- F vi Mary MCCLUNG was born on 14 Mar 1780. She died on 8 Feb 180
- M vii Charles MCCLUNG was born on 17 Mar 1782.
- M viii Samuel MCCLUNG was born on 27 Apr 1784. He died about 182
- F ix Abigail Dickson MCCLUNG was born on 26 Sep 1786.
- F x Janet MCCLUNG was born on 4 Oct 1788.
- M xi Alexander MCCLUNG was born on 19 May 1792. He died on 9 May 1862.
Help fund new features!