Facts and Events
William Lyle was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
- William Lyle's Administrator bond (Transcription)
- Know all men by these presnets that we Agness Lyle, John Lyle Junr, David Gray and William Ramsey, are held and firmly bound to John Bowyer Saml. McDowell, Charles Campbell, Saml. Lyle and John Gilmore Gentlemen, Justices of the Court of Rockbridge County, now sitting, in the sum of Two Thousand pounds to the payment whereof, well and truly to be made to the said Justices, and their Successors we bind ourselves, and each of us our and each of our Heirs, Executors and Administrators, Jointly and severally, firmly by these presents. Sealed with our seals this fifth Day of May in the year of our Lord One thousand and Deven Hundred and seventy Eight and in the Second Year of the Commonwealth.
- The Condition of this Obligation is such, that if the above bound Agness Lyle Administratrix and John Lyle administrator of all the Goods, Chattle, and Credits of William Lyle Deceased, do make or cause to be made, a true and perfect Inventory of all and Singular the Goods Chattles and Credits of the said Deceased, at the time of his Death which at any time after shall come to the hands of possession of any other person or persons for them do well and truly administor, According to Law, and farther do make a Just and true account of all Actings, and doings, therein when thereto Required by the said Court, and all the Rent and Residue of the said Goods, Chattles, and Credits, which shall be found Remaining upon the said administrators Account the same being first examined and allowed by the Justices of the Court for the Time being shall Deliver and pay unto such person or persons Respectively as the said Justices by their Order or Judgement shall Direct, persuant to the Law in that case made and provided. And if it shall hereafter appear that any Last Will and Testament was made by the said Deceased, And the Executix or Executors, therein Named do exhibit the same into the said Court making a request to have it allowed and approved accordingly, if the said Agness and John Lyle being thereunto Required to Render and Deliver up all Letters of Administration, Aprobation of such Testament being had and made in the said Court, then this Obligation to be void and of none Effect, or else to Remain in full force and Virtue.
- Sealed and Delivered in the presence of
- Agness Lyle (seal)
- John Lyle Jr (seal)
- David Gray (seal)
- Wm Ramsey (seal)
- At a Court held for Rockbridge County May 5th 1778
- Agness Lyle, John Lyle, Junr., David Gray and William Ramsey Acknowledged this their Bond for the due Administration of the Estate of William Lyle Dec'd which is Ordered to be Recorded
- Teste Andrew Reid Clk
- [Rockbridge County, Virginia Will Book 1, p. 10].
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 International Genealogical Index. (LDS Church, 1999-2005).