William Hamilton, Sr., of the Calfpasture
Facts and Events
William Hamilton was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's (unless listed otherwise):
- Page 489.--27th February, 1749. Same (Patent from William Beverley) to William Hamilton, farmer. 678 acres in Calfpasture. Teste: James Caldwell. Delivered: Hum. Madison, 30th August, 1753.
- Page 280 - William Hambleton, 323 acres, Greenbrier River. Oct. 16, 1751. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 95].
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 333.--__ day _____, 1767. William Hamilton, Sr.. and Else (Alice) to Alex. Hamilton, £100, 507 acres in the Calf pasture. Teste: Jas. Callison, Wm. Mann, Robert Armstrong.
There is conflicting information on the children of this William Hamilton, more research is necessary.
Records of William Hamilton in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 74.--29th November, 1750. James Carolile to James Callison, 275 acres L. C. P., granted 10th April, 1745, to James by Beverley, recorded in Secretary s office; corner Wm. Hamilton; corner Wm. Elliott, on the Laurel Hill. (Note: "L.C.P." most likely stands for "Lower Calfpasture").
- Page 520.--17th August, 1753. Thomas Fulton's bond as guardian (appointed) to William Kinkade, orphan of Thos. Kinkade, with sureties Robert Bratton, Wm. Hamilton.
- Page 82.--21st November, 1754. Archibald Boreland's accounts as administrator, vs. estate of Wm. Jackson--Paid Andrew Dunlap, John Harden, Robt. Duffels, Archd. Elliot, Wm. Davis, Alex. Wright, Alex. McAllroy, Michl. Harper, Jno. Carolile, Samuel McAlvery, Jno. Graham, Joseph Mays, Samuel Ferguson, Wm. Elliott, Stephen Wilson, Alex. Gillespy, Naphtalin Gregory, Jno. Warwick, John Crockett, Charles Dunlap, Geo. Lewis, Thos. Bryan, Nathan Patterson, James Boreland, Wm. Hamilton, James Brown, James Lockridge, John Williamson, David Stanley; cash paid James Armstrong; 7 gallons whiskey for 2d vendue; to Jinney Boreland's account proved.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER, 1756 (A). - Mills vs. Hamilton--We, William Hamilton and Robert Hamilton, both late of Pennsylvania, yeomen. Bond dated 29th August, 1754.
- Vol. 1 - MAY 20, 1761. - (10) Wm. Hamilton, reason of great age and infirmity, exempted from County levy.
- From Rootsweb Message Board:
- There were 2 William Hamiltons in Greenbrier at the same time. Capt Wm was the son of Andrew/Martha Kinkead. He lived in the Muddy Creek area.
- The other was son of William/Alice Hamilton of the Little Calf Pasture River and brother to Andrew whose Greenbrier Co. 1796 will and subsequent court cases establish the siblings of Andrew and the deposition of the 1,100a survey mentioned below.
- Greenbrier Co. VA
- 15 Sep 1788. Wm Hamilton power of Att to Andrew Hamilton on account of any estate inhertance in State of PA and as heir of his father Wm Hamilton decd.
- 3 Sep 1810 Wm & Ruth Hamilton of Boon Co. KY 320a to Andrew Hamilton of Boone Co. (note: Andrew is this couples son)
- 26 Nov. 1810 Andrew of Boon Co. KY 304a to John Vachub e side of Greenbrier River adj. Anthoy Bowen, John Byrd & Geo Lavisay-- part of 1,100a survey made for Andrew Hamilton dcd in 1775. Above 304a willed to Wm Hamilton.
- [Source: http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/KINCAID/2011-01/1295709341].
- From Rootsweb Message Board:
- Starting with the 1733 ships list, I traced down as far as possible in the time I wanted to spend the families of:
- Archibald Henry Hamilton b 1704 Laggan d 1794 Staunton m Francis Calhoun
- William Hamilton b 1705 Tyrone d 1788 Greenbrier Co. VA m Alice Mann (I am not finding a will for Wm in Shuck)
- Andrew Hamilton b 1709 Laggan d 1788 Augusta Co. VA m pr 1733 (prob Ards, Co. Down) Martha Kincaid b 1712
- Martha Hamilton b 1716 d after 1786 (prob Fayette Co. KY) m James Henderson 23 June 1738 (PA or VA)
- According to Hamilton researchers these are all children of Audley Harrison Hamilton and Eleanor Adams.
Help fund new features!