William Blair, of Naked Creek
Facts and Events
William Blair was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Advisory on William Blair
Some sources claim that this William Blair married Elizabeth Downey, but it was a different William Blair, son of William Blair and Mary Sawyers that married Elizabeth Downey.
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
'Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's (unless listed otherwise):
- Page 182 - William Blayer (Blair), 132 acres, branch of Naked Creek. Adjoining John Stephenson. January 27, 1771. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 65].
- 19 May 1774 - Hugh Donaho to William Blayer, for five shillings two tracts, one a part of 136 acres on a branch of Naked Creek, granted to Joseph Hanna by Patent 12 May MDcclix containng 68 acres, the other part of a patent granted to said Donaho adjoining the aforementioned tract containing nineteen acres. At a Court Continued and held for Augusta Co., May the 18th 1774 Hugh Donaghe acknowledged this his lease for land to William Blair Which is Ordered to be Rcorded. VA, Augusta Co., [Deed Book 20, 1773-1775, p. 282-3].
- 20 May 1774 - Hugh Donaho and Elizabeth his wife to William Blayr, for £50 Current Money of VA sell 2 tracts of land etc. At a Court Continued and held for Augusta Co., May 18 1774 Hugh Donaghe Acknowledged this his release for Land to William Blair Which is ordered to be Recorded. VA, Augusta Co., [Deed Book 20, 1773-1775, p. 283-5].
- 1 Sep 1780 - Grant to William Blair of 61 acres on the North Branch of Naked Creek between Blair's and Hugh Donoho's lines. VA, Abstracted Patents and Grants, Augusta Co., p. 133.
Records of William Blair in Augusta County, VA
- 22 Feb 1775 - Patrick Dickson & Mary his wife to Hugh Donaghe for 5 shillings sell 200 acres granted by patent to Patrick Dickson bearing date of 16 March 1771 on the South side of Shanado river. Wit: Ralf A. Lofftus, William Blair, Samuel Craye. At a Court held for Augusta Co. March 21st 1775. This lease for land indented from Patrick Dickson to Hugh Donaho was proved by the Oath of William Blair & Samuel Cray two of the Witnesses thereto. At a Court continued & held for Augusta Co. March 22nd 1786. This lease was further proved by the oath of Ralf A. Loftes a third witness & ordered to be recorded. VA, Augusta Co., [Deed Book 25, 1785-1787, p. 252-3].
- Page 207 - Hugh Donohue, 1,227 acres, Naked Creek. Adjoining Robert McCutcheon, John King, John Seawright, William Blair. Mentioned James Leeper. June 18, 1773. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 75].
- Page 240 - John Stepenson, 25 acres, Naked Creek. Adjoining the East side of the land he lives on which said land with a larger tract was formerly surveyed for William Blair but on a petition to ye Honorable the Council in June 1773 an order passed which instituted said Stephenson to survey out of said Blair's tract 25 acres so as to include his spring and improvements. Dec. 22, 1774. Note: by P.C.K. this land is the farm of Dr. E.A. Herring on Mill Creek. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 85].
- 23 Feb 1775 - Patrick Dickson & Mary his wife to Hugh Donaghe for 5 shillings. Wit: Ralph Loftus, William Blair, Samuel Craye. At a court held for Augusta Co. March 21st 1775. This Indenture of release of land from Patrick Dixon to Hugh Donagho was proved by the oath of William Blair & Samuel Craye at a Court continued & held for Augusta Co. March 22nd 1786. This release was further proved by the oath of Ralph Loftus a third witness and ordered to be recorded. VA, [Augusta Co., Deed Book 25, 1785-1787, p. 254-6].
- 18 Mar 1784 Hugh Donnahee Plt agt Mary Brett(?) & Sarah Henderson Defts - In Debt. This day came the parties by their Attornies & thereupon a jury to wit: Jacob Peck, John Paterson, John Rankin, John Brooks, Alexander Mckensey, John Sharpe, John Bustard, William Blair, James Ball, William Blair, Thomas Scott & Alexander Buchanan elected tryed & sworn the truth to speak upon the issue joined upon their Oath do say the Defendants are indebted to the Plaintiff thirty four pounds the Debt in the declaration mentioned & One penny damages besides Costs. Therefore it is considered that the Plaintiff recover against the said Defendants the debt & damages aforesaid & the Costs in this behalf expended & the said Defendants in mercy. VA, [Augusta Co., Court Order Book 18, 1783-1784, p. 189].
- 19 Aug 1785 - On the Motiion of Hugh Donaho a Witness for William Blair against Blair & others - it is ordered that the said William pay unto him 50 lb tobacco for 2 days attendance according to Laws.
- 17 Mar 1791 - On the Motion of Hugh Donaghe a witness for William Blair at the suit of Wilson. It is ordered that the said Blair pay unto him Seventy five pounds of Tobacco for three days attendance, according to Law. VA, [Augusta Co., Court Order Book 21, 1789-1791, p. 409].
- 15 Oct 1793 - On the motion of Hugh Donaghe leave is granted him to make an inclusive survey of his Lands in this County adjoining the Lands of John Campbell, William Blair, James Blair decd., James Searight and Robert Gratton. It being proved to the Satisfaction of the Court that said Donaghe has complied with the Law. VA, [Augusta Co., Court Order Book 22, 1791-1793, p. 344].
- 21 Aug 1794 - Hugh Donaghe Plt against Isaac Rankin Deft - In Covenant This day came the parties by their Attornies and thereupon came also a Jury to wit: Charles Hopkins, Ezekiel Hopping, William Knowls, William Chambers, William Blair, Daniel Ford, Benjamin Brown, James Henry, Thomas Douthat, Robert Stephenson, Thomas Story and Samuel Frazer, who being elected tried and sworn, the truth to speak upon the issue joined upon their oath do say; that the defendant is guilty in manner and form as the Plaintiff against him hath complained, and they do assess the Plaintiffs damages by occasion thereof to Thirty-seven pounds and one penny half penny, besides his costs; therefore it is considered by the Court that the plaintiff recover against the defendant his damages aforesaid in form aforesaid, and his costs by him in this behalf expended, and the said Defendant may be taken & c. [VA, Augusta Co., Court Order Book 23, 1793-1796, p. 144].
- Vol. 2 - MAY, 1796. - William Blair vs. Daniel Fane.--Plaintiff's daughter, Margaret, infant, eighteen years old.
- 19 Aug 1796 - Ordered that James Monie and wife pay unto Hugh Donaghe fifty three cents for one days attendance as a Witness for them against William Blair. [VA, Augusta Co., Court Order Book 24, 1796-1799, p. 40].
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Bond - 1799--November 8, Absolem Johnston and Robert Reed, surety. Absolem Johnston and Margaret Blair, daughter of W. Blair, and of age. Samuel King swears Margaret is of age.
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Record - 1799, -By Rev. William King: November 9th, Absalam Johnson and Margaret Blair. (Note: Margaret was daughter of this William, as listed in record above).
- Vol. 2 - Blair's heirs vs. Blair's widow--O. S. 245; N. S. 86--Bill, March, 1806. Complainants are, viz: William Blair and John Towel and Nancy, his wife, and John Headrick and Mary, his wife. William Blair, Sr., of Augusta, died intestate in November, 1803, leaving widow Margaret and children, viz: James, oratrix Nancy, Henry Blair, John Blair, orator William, oratrix Mary, and Peggy, wife of Absalom Johnson. Of these, James Blair has lived a long time in Tennessee or amongst the Indians in that quarter. And John Blair lives in North Carolina. Suit for partition. (Note: this record shows that William Blair died in November 1803, and names several of his children).
Information on William Blair
Father: William Blair b: 5 Jul 1741 in Augusta County, Virginia
Mother: Margaret Brown
William Blair (b. 1743 Augusta Co., VA)
(d. 1803 Augusta Co., VA)
c:James (b.1763 Augusta Co., VA)
Nancy (b.1765 Augusta Co., VA)
h.John Towell md.21 Apr 1789 Augusta Co.VA
Henry (b.1767 Augusta Co., VA)
Mary (b.1769 Augusta Co., VA)
(d.1845 Walker Co., GA)
h.John Hedrick md.1 Mar 1792 Augusta Co.VA
John (b.1771 Augusta Co., VA)
William (b.1773 Augusta Co., VA)
w.Mary Thompson md.20 Dec 1796 Augusta VA
Margaret 'Peggy'(b.1777 Augusta Co., VA)
h.Absolum Johnston md.8 Nov 1799 Augusta VA