Facts and Events
Thomas Tosh was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 355.--28th May, 1751. Tasker Tosh to Thomas Tosh, 120 acres on North Bank of Roanoke River, commonly called Goose Creek, Goose Creek of Roanoke. Teste: Robert Grey, James McKeachey, Francis Beatey.
- Page 840.--21st March, 1765. John Robertson and Mary to Thomas Tosh, £40, 560 acres on Mason's Creek, branch of Roanoke; corner John Mason's land. Teste: Alex. Stuart, James Lessley. Delivered: Jas. Crawford, June, 1769.
- Page 315.--7th October, 1766. Jacob ( ) Brown and Agness ( ) to Thomas Tosh, £20, 100 acres by deed from James Patton, deceased, on West Fork of Roan Oak. Teste: John Buchanan Robert Breckinridge, David Robinson, Thomas Barnes, William Preston.
- Page 76 - Thomas Tosh, 63 acres, North Branch of Roanoke River. Adjoining Elizabeth Robinson. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 29].
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 519.--4th June, 1766. Thomas Tosh and Mary ( ) to Andrew Lewis, £100, 269 acres on south side Roanoke or Goose Creek. Teste: David Stewart. Page 520.--4th June, 1766. Release by Mary of dower in above.
Processioning List of 1765
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Page 382.--1765: Wm. Bryans and Jas. Neely report as follows, viz: For James Bryan (on Roanoke), for Wm. Bryan, Jr., for David Bryan (Geo. McAfee present), for Rees Bowin, for Hugh Mills, for David Cloyd (Tinker's Creek), for David Robinson, for Wm. Graham, for Wm. Graham (on Bufallo Creek), Benj. Paulson present; for Wm. Graham, Henry Holston present; for Peter Evans; for Thos. Tosh, Danl. McNeal present; for Jno. McAdoo, Jas. Mellin present; for David Dutton, Wm. Elam present; for Israel Christian, for Joseph Snodgrass, for Joseph Robinson, for John Neilly; for Baptist Armstrong, present Thomas Acres; for Wm. Carvin, for Wm. Terry, for Thomas Ackers, for James Neilly (on Carson's Creek).
Will of Thomas Tosh
- Tosh, Thomas. Will probate Feb. 1778.
- Names wife, Mary, and children: Mary, Jonathan, and son-in-law, James Crawford.
- [Source: Early Marriages, Wills and some Revolutionary War Records, Botetourt County, Virginia, Compiled by Anne Lowry Worrell, pg. 64].
Records of Thomas Tosh in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - November 19, 1746. - (131) Road ordered from Ridge dividing waters of New River from waters of So. Br. Roanoak to end in a road that leads over the Blue Ridge--James Cambell and Mark Evans, overseers. Old Mr. Robinson and his sons, Thos. Wilson and his two sons, Wm. Beus and his brother, all the Ledfords, Saml. Brown, Henry Brown, Saml. Niely, James Burk, James Bean, Francis Estham, Ephraim Voss and servants, Francis Summerfield, John Mason, Tasker and Thomas Tosh, John and Peter Dill, Uriah Evans's sons, Mathuselah Griffiths and sons, John Thomas, Peter Kender.
- Page 239.--11th September, 1749. Mathusalem Grime's will, of Round Oak, farmer--Wife, Lucretia; youngest son, John; three sons; eldest son, Morrice Grime, 300 acres on Meason's Creek by the Lick; executors, son Morrice and wife; son, Benjamin; daughter, Elizabeth Griffie, under 21; daughter, Hannah, infant; daughter, Lucretia, under 25. Teste: Thomas Tosh, Tasker Tosh, Thos. Acres. Proved, 22d May, 1750, by Thos. Acres, and others to be summoned. (Note: this is the will of Methaslam Griffith).
- Vol. 2 - Page 89.--19th February, 1752: Orphan Thos. Pretherock bound to Thos. Tosh.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 24, 1753. - (76) Road ordered--Wm. Bryan overseer--from Wm. Carravan's plantation to Wm. Bryans on Roan Oak. These workers: James Campbell, Joseph Love, Wm. Bryan, Jr., John Bryan, James Bane, Henry Brown, Jr., James Neilly, Henry Brown, Sr., Alexr. Ingram, Edward Patterson, Jacob Patton, John Wood, Erwin Patterson, Andrew Cox, Jasper Terry, Wm. Terry, John Woods, Edward Moore, Peter Craven, Aron Hart, Miles Hart, Wm. Graham, Neal McNeal, Malcom Campbell, Wm. Armstrong, Tasker Tosh, Thomas Tosh, Daniel Evans, Uriah Acres, Thos. Acres, John McAdoe, Wm. Akers.
- Vol. 2 - Page 157.--27th November, 1755: Vestry met. Processioners designated as follows, viz (to report before 1st March next): William Robinson and John Wilson, in Cap. Vanse's Company on (page 158) Roan Oke; David Miller, Wm. Carravan, James Cloyd, Bryan McDonald, Jr., in Cap. Geo. Robinson's Company; Robert Montgomery and Thos. McFerrin in Cap. John McFerrin's Company; William Bryans and Thomas Tosh in Cap. James Campbell's Company; Henry Holston and Placherd Scilar, on Craig's Creek.
- Page 188.-- 12th March, 1757. John Robinson's appraisement, by Neal McNeal, Tasker Tosh, Thomas Tosh.
- Page 186.--16th March, 1757. Joseph Cummings' appraisement, by Neal McNeal, Thomas Tosh, William Hugens (Hogens).
- Page 331.--20th August, 1759. Erwin Patterson's bond (with Thos. Tosh, Wm. Carson) as administrator of James McGee.
- Page 165.--5th August, 1761.-- John Mason's estate, appraised by Thos. Tosh, James Bein, Neal McNeal.
- Vol. 1 - MAY 22, 1762. - (234) Thos. Tosh appointed Constable, vice Uriah Acres.
- Page 255.--20th April, 1763. John Mason's appraisement, approved and recorded, by Thos. Tosh, Neal McNeal, Jas. Bean.
- Page 38.--4th August, 1767. Wm. Preston, Assistant Surveyor, enters 2 tracts, 400 acres each, on north and west sides of James McMillin's lands on waters of Craig's Creek, Catawbo and Roanoke; also 200 acres on both sides of Craig's Creek, above land of Wm. Plummer; 300 acres on both sides of Barbours Creek between lands of Wm. Lee and Wm. Rowland; 2 tracts, each 200 acres, adjoining Henry Switchard on a branch of Catawbo; also 3 tracts of 200 acres each between the Crab Tree Orchard and the Paint Banks on Potts Creek; also 4 tracts of 200 acres each between Paint Banks and Potts improvements; also 400 acres above and on south side of Israel Christian's land on Craig's Creek where Simon Dehart lives; also 400 acres above Thos. Toshe's land on Neely Creek.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 18, 1767. - (347) Thos. Tosh, Danl. McNeill and Francis Grymes, to view a road from the Stone House to Evans's Mill. David Campbell and Samuel Downey appointed overseers of road from John McCreery's to James Moffett's, vice James Callison and David Cunningham.
- Page 256.--2d February, 1768. Jacob ( ) Lorton and Lydia ( ) to James Bane, £100, 560 acres by deed from James Patton 2d February, 1754, on Toms Creek, a pine by the Beaver Dams; corner Jacob Harmon's land; corner to the Price's land. Teste: William Preston, Robert Lusk, George Dair, Thomas Tosh, Daniel McNeill, Robert Cowan, John Buchanan, Francis Smith, Robert Breckinridge, Thomas Loyd, Peter Wright. Delivered: Jacob Sciler, 29th March, 1773.