Facts and Events
Thomas Berry was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Marriage Record of Thomas Berry and Elizabeth Walker
- 11 Feb 1788 Rockbridge County, Virginia, Marriage Records 1781-1801
- Know all Men by these Presents that we Thomas Berry & William Walker are held and firmly bound unto the Commonwealth of Virginia in the just and full sum of fifty Pounds Current to the payment whereof well and truly to be made do bind ourselves our Heirs Executors and Administrators jointly and severally firmly by these presents Sealed with our Seals and Dated this 11th Day of February 1788. The Condition of this obligation is such that whereas there is a Marriage shortly intended to be Solemnized between the above Thomas Berry & Elizabeth Walker Daughter of the said William Walker. If therefore there shall be no lawful Cause to be the said Marriage then the above obligation to be Void or else to remain in full force.
- Test Thomas Berry (seal)
- William Walker (seal)
- Rockbridge County, Virginia, Marriage Records 1781-1801
Acquisition of Land in Washington County, VA
Acquisition of Land:
- 21 March 1797 Washington County, Virginia, Deed Book 1, Page 516
- THIS INDENTURE made this 21st day of March one thousand seven hundred and ninety seven between William Miflin and Betsey his wife of the County of Washington and State of Virginia of the one part and Thomas Berry of the County and Sate aforesaid the other part Witnesseth that the said William Miflin and Betsey his wife for and in consideration of the sum of three hundred dollars to them in hand paid. Do bargain and sell unto the said Thomas Berry and his heirs forever one Lott on the main street in the Town of Abingdon, distinguished on a plat of the said Town by the number nineteen containing one quarter of an acre and bounded as followeth, to wit, Beginning at a corner of lott number 38 being the North West corner of said lott number 19 and running thence along the main street South sixty four degrees West four poles to lott No 20 thence South twenty six degrees East ten poles thence North sixty four degrees East four poles to lott number 38 and with a line thereof North twenty six degrees West ten poles to the BEGINNING together with all its appurtenances TO HAVE AND TO HOLD the said lott with its appurtenances unto the said Thomas Berry and his heirs to the sole use and behoof of [insert “him “] the said Thomas Berry and his heirs forever And the said William Miflin and Betsey his wife for thereselves and their heirs do covenant with the said Thomas Berry and his heirs that the said William Miflin and Betsey his wife and their heirs the said Lott with its appurtenances unto the said Thomas Berry and his heirs against all persons whosoever will forever warrant and defend. In Witness whereof the said William Miflin and Betsey his wife have hereunto set their hands and seals the day and year first above written.
- William Miflin L.S.
- Betsey Miflin L.S.
- At a Court held for Washington County 21st day of March 1797. This Indenture of bargain and sale was acknowledged in court by the above name William Miflin and ordered To be Recorded.
- Test. And.w Russell D.C.
Disposition of Land:
- 9 October 1797 Washington County, Virginia, Deed Book 2, Page 22
- THIS INDENTURE made this ninth day of October in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and ninety seven between Thomas Berry and Elizabeth his wife of the county of Washington of the one part and Augustus Elias Brovort Woodward of the county aforesaid of the other part WITNESSETH that the said Thomas Berry and Elizabeth his wife for and in consideration of the sum of two hundred and Thirty dollars current money of the United States to them in hand paid Do bargain and sell unto the said Woodward and his heirs one Lot on the South side of the main Street in the Town of Abingdon, distinguished in a plan of the said town by the No. 20 but by mistake conveyed to William Mifflin by the Trustees of the said Town by the No 19 adjoining the Lot of Patrick Lynch, which is distinguished in the plan of the said Town by the No 19 (but by mistakes conveyed to the said Patrick Lynch by the Trustees of the Town of Abingdon by No 20) and adjoining the Lot of William Delap, which said Lot No. 20 conveyed by mistake by the No. 19 contains one quarter of an acre, together with all its appurtenances to have and to hold the said Lot No.20 with its appurtenances unto the said Augustus Elias Brovort Woodward and his heirs to the sole use and behoof of him the said Woodward and his heirs forever. And the said Thomas Berry and Elizabeth his wife for themselves and their heirs do covenant with the said Woodward and his heirs that they, the said Thomas Berry and Elizabeth his wife the said Lot No. 20 containing one quarter of an acre adjoining the Lots of Patrick Lynch and William Delap with all its appurtenances unto the said Augustus Elias Brovort Woodward and his heirs against all persons whosoever will warrant and forever defend. In Witness whereof the said Thomas Berry and Elizabeth his wife have hereunto subscribed their names and affixed their seals the day and year first above written.
- Signed Sealed in presence of
- Tho.s Berry S.S.
- And.w Russell James Keys Elizabeth Berry S.S.
- David Carson Sam.l Edmiston
Will of Thomas Berry
- 13 September 1805 Blount County, Tennessee Will Book Number 1, 1799-1858
- In the name of God amen I Thomas Berry being now in my last sickness but through the mercies of God being Sound in Mind and memory do make this my last will and testament. In the first place I wil my Soul to God who gave it and that my body Should be decently intered in the earth. In the Second place it is my design that after my decease all my Just debits Shall be paid and that the residue of my estate may be distributed agreeably to law and it futher my desire that John Montgomery and John Lowery Shall be my Executors of this my last will and testament given under my hand this thirteenth day of September 1805.
- (signed) Thomas Berry
- Wit: David Russell, Andw. Thompson
(Back of document: “Last Will of Thomas Berry decd. Thoms Berrys WILL Sep 13 1805)
- filed in Court 25 November 1805
Information on Thomas Berry
Name: Thomas McKutcheon Berry
Father: James Buchanan Berry b: ABT 1749
Mother: Elizabeth Campbell McKutcheon b: 1753
Marriage 1 Elizabeth Martha Weir Walker b: ABT 1767
Married: 15 FEB 1788 in Rockbridge County, Virginia
Mary M. Walker Berry
James Enfield Walker (ALABAMA) Berry b: 15 APR 1790
- Washington County, Virginia Records