Facts and Events
Stephen Ley was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Stephen Ley (Loy's) land (Beverley Manor SW, 245 acres, acquired from Robert Breckenridge in 1765 (who was conveyed this tract from his father Alexander Breckenridge's will in 1743) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 764.--18th June, 1764. Thomas Fulton and Elisabeth, of Staunton, to Stephen Loye, £25, lot in Staunton, leased by Beverley to Alex. Wright, 22d February, 1749, who conveyed to Thomas. Delivered: Stephen Loy, April, 1767.
- Page 383.--21st August, 1765. Robert Breckenridge and Lettice to Stephen Loy, £230 (paid by said Martin Loy), 245 acres in Beverley Manor conveyed to Robert, 17th May, 1749.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 203.--19th March, 1768. Stephen Loy and Mary ( ) to John Sharp Watkins, 5 shillings, half lot No. 14 in Staunton, formerly leased by Beverley, 22d February, 1749, to Alexander Wright, who conveyed it to said Thomas Fulton, and now conveyed by Stephen Loy. Teste: Randal Lockhart, Michael Weaver, John Cawley. Delivered: Jno. Sharp Watkins, 4th August, 1773. (Note: John Sharp Watkins was the son-in-law of Stephen Ley).
- Page 519.--23d June, 1770. Stephen Loy and Mary ( ) to William Bowyer, £150, 245 acres whereon Stephen now lives, which he purchased of Robert Breckinridge and joining Alexander McClenachan, Andrew Scott. Robert McClenachan, David Stuart and Elisha McClenachan. Teste: G. Jones, Lew Bowyer, Wm. Madison, Michael Bowyer.
Records of Stephen Ley (Loy) in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - SEPTEMBER, 1763 (B). - Elizabeth Crawford vs. Stephen Loy.--Attachment, 17th April, 1763. Stephen Loy, of Frederick Town, in Maryland, to Thomas Fulton. Bond 25th March, 1762.
- Vol. 1 - MAY 24, 1766. - (368) Stephen Lay--naturalized.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST, 1766 (A). - Ro. Breckinridge vs. Stephen Loy.--Defendant's bond, dated 21st May, 1762, from Manochissie.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST, 1766 (A). - Breckinridge vs. Loy.--Bond of Steven Loy, of Manockissie, 1762.
- Page 428.--Return of privy examination of Lettice, wife of Robert Breckinridge, dated 5th August, 1767, as to deed dated 21st August, 1765. to Stephen Loy.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 18, 1767. - (218) Priv. examination of Lettice Breckinridge, wife of Robt. Breckinridge, to land sold by Robert to Stephen Loy.
- Page 271.--24th February, 1770. Stephen Loy, tanner, to Sampson and Geo. Mathews, 145, negro slave, condition that Stephen Loy and Doctor John Watkins on 20th February, 1769, executed a bond to S. and G. Mathews for £60; now if Stephen make payment. Teste: William Robertson and Catherine Loy.
- Page 71.--3d November, 1770. Stephen Loy to Michael and William Bowyer, £250, horses, cows, furniture, one blue rug, one desk and bookcase of walnut, six setting cheers, pewter plates and dishes, four copper sase pans, one coffy and one peper mill, three pus flatirons, three tea kittles, churns, 300 sides leather now in the tan vats, sundry doctor's medisens and other articles conveyed to Stephen by Dr. John Watkins by bill sale recorded. Delivered: Luke Bowyer, 31st August, 1771.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST, 1772 (B). - Nevins and Wanock vs. Dr. John Watkins and Stephen Loy, Tanner.-- Bond to plaintiff (apothecaries), dated 1768. Writ dated 6th July, 1770
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 22, 1772. - (424) Stephen Loy--no inhabitant. (Note: Stephen Loy had apparently left Augusta County by this date).
- Page 538.- (undated, appears to be bet. March-August 1777) - Land conveyed by Beverley to Alexander Breckinridge, recorded in Orange, and by Alexander's decease intestate became vested in his eldest son and heir, George Breckinridge, who conveyed same to Robert Breckenridge 17th May, 1749, and by Robert and Lettice, his wife, to Stephen Loy. 21st October, 1765.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 19, 1778. - (289) Admn. of estate of John Watkins granted Stephen Loy.
- Vol. 2 - ADMINISTRATORS' BONDS. - 19th May, 1778--Stephen Loy, administrator of John Watkins.
- "A Sketch by Mrs. Wall, of Winchester, of her Ancestors, for her Children", West Virginia Historical Magazine Quarterly.
Help fund new features!