Facts and Events
Solomon Whitley was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Early Land Survey in Augusta County, VA:
- Page 105 - Solomon Whitley, 110 acres, Fork James River, November 4, 1767. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 38].
Processioning List of 1765
- "Processioning" was the process or periodically reviewing and agreeing upon property lines between settlers. Processioning Lists can be useful in determining the area of a settler and the neighboring settlers at a specific time period:
- Page 385.--1765: Processioned by Collier and McCampbell, viz: For William McCamey, for Jno. Beatty (Samuel Norrad present), for Solomon Whitley, for Wm. Gilmore, for Robt. Erwin, for Jno. McKee, for Andw. McCampbell, for Henry Kirkham, for Edward Fairies, for James Campbell, for Alex. Deal, for John Gilmore, for Moses Cunningham for Robt. Hamilton, for James McCalster, for Hugh Cunningham, for George McConne; for Wm. Moore, Michael Kirkham present; for James Young, for Robert McKelhenny, for Margery Crawford, for Saml. Todd, for Rob. Young, for James Hutton, for James Todd, for George Gibson for Alex. Collier, for Jno. Hanna, for Robt. Talford, for Robt. McHenry, for David Talford, for William Hall, for John McMurtrey, for James Davies, for Robt. McKee, for Jno. Somers, for Jno. Huston, for Jno. Wylie, for Jno. McConne, for Archd. Buchanan, for Wm. Porter, for Jno. Wieley.
Records of Solomon Whitley in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley's Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 21, 1753. - (415) Joseph Long and James Young, overseers, with Robert Young, Joseph Long, Samuel Gibson, Solomon Whitley, John Collier, William Hall, Gilbert Crawford, George Gibson, John Ruckman, Thomas Burton, Wm. Wadington, Wm. Brown, James Moore, John Hanna, James Huston, Wm. Todd, James Bats, James Todd, James Young, Patrick Young, John Carr and James Campbell--keep the road from Joseph Long's Mill to James Young's Mill, thence to the Great Road on James Thompson's Plantation.
- Vol. 1 - ORIGINAL PETITIONS - 1753-1754 (Part 1). - Petition for road from Joseph Long's mill to James Young's mill and by William Hall's, on the North River, and into the Great Road on James Thompson's plantation. It is our course to meeting, mill and market. John Carr, James Campbell, Robert Young, Joseph Long, Samuel Gibson, Solomon Whitly, John Collyer, William Hall, Gilbert Crawford, George Gibson, John Ruckman, James Barton, William Waddington, William Brown, James Moore, John Hanna, James Hutton, William Todd, James Bates, James Footd, James Young, Patrick Young.
- Page 719.--18th November, 1764. Edward ( ) Gill to Solomon Whitley, £13, farming implements and household furniture. Teste: Christopher ( ) Best.
- Page 367.--14th May, 1767. Robert Shannon, weaver, to Jonathan Whitlow (Whitley), weaver, £16, horses, &c. Teste: Solomon Whitley, Archibald Graham. (Note: Jonathan Whitley appears to be a possible (but not proven) sibling. More research necessary).