Samuel Givens, of Augusta County, VA
Facts and Events
Samuel Givens was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 IGI Record.
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 2.--August, 1754. William Bell, Jr., and David Bell to Saml. Givens, £80, 283 acres conveyed to grantors by Saml. Gay, 16th February, 1747, in Beverley Manor; corner Ro. Patrick; corner Finla.
- Page 314.--17th-May, 1762. Richard ( ) Botkin and Elizabeth ( ) to Samuel Given. £158, 339 acres on Clover Creek now called the Bull Pasture River, a branch of Cow Pasture; cor. to land in possession of Loftus Pullen. Teste: Wm. Stewart. Tames Boadkin. George Woolridge. Delivered: Samuel Givens, August, 1768.
- Page 35.--9th November, 1768. John Hicklin and Jane ( ) to Samuel Givens, £150, 217 acres, part of 348 acres conveyed by Andrew Lewis to John Hicklin. 18th August, 1761. Delivered: Samuel Givens, 15th June, 1772.
- Page 289.--20th May, 1772. Hugh Hicklin, son and heir by descent of Thomas Hicklen, deceased, to Samuel Givens, on waters of Newfoundland known by name of Bulpasture. Teste: Ralph Lofftus, John Malcom, Robert Stewart.
- Page 396.--19th November, 1776. Andrew Lockridge to Samuel Givens, of Botetourt, and John Hicklen, deed to correct a mistake as to tract conveyed by Givens to Montgomerie, and deeds dated 8 and 9, November, 1768
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 287.--16th December, 1755. Samuel Givens to Patrick Crawford, mortgage £36.4.8, 311 acres where Samuel now lives on Middle River of Shannandore. cor. John Givens. Teste: Michael Null. Delivered: Pat. Crawford, 12th November, 1757. (Note: this lease was later released in 1757 in the following transaction):
- Page 524.--29th December, 1757. Patrick Crawford, yeoman, to Samuel Givens. Release of lease, 16th December, 1755. Teste: Wm. Poage, James Henderson.
- Page 463.--15th June, 1757. Samuel Givens and Martha to Jno. Williams, £40, 283 acres, part of a tract conveyed to Samuel, August, 1754. Cor. Ro. Patrick; cor. Finla. Teste: Patrick Crawford, Geo. Wilson, Wm. Lamb. Delivered: Jno. Williams, April, 1783.
- Page 286.--__ _____, 1761. Samuel Givens and Martha to Samuel Bell, £90, 159 acres, part of 311 acres patented to said Givens. on southeast side Middle River of Shanando betwixt lands of John and James Givens; cor. said James Givens. Teste: William Lamb, Wm. Walters. Delivered: Samuel Bell, 10th August, 1786.
- Page 290.--19th April, 1761. Samuel Givens and Martha to Samuel Henderson, £110, 151 acres, part of 311 acres on Middle River Shanando; cor. John Givens; cor. Samuel Bell's part of same tract. Teste: George Crawford, John Ritchey, Samuel Bell.
- Page 518.--1st April, 1761. Martha Givens, wife of Samuel Givens. release of dower in tract sold to Samuel Henderson. Teste: George Woolridge, Samuel Bell, John Ritchey.
- Page 417.--7th October, 1765. Samuel Givens to James Burnsides, £40, 100 acres, part of 339 acres conveyed to Samuel by Richard Bodkin, on Bullpasture. Delivered: James Burnsides, August Court, 1768.
- Page 40.--9th November, 1768. Samuel Givens and Martha to John Hicklin. £150, 239 acres on Clover Creek, now commonly called the Bull Pasture, a branch of Cowpasture, part of 339 acres patented to Richard Botkin, and by him conveyed to John, 17th May, 1762, corner land in posssesion of Loftus Pullin, part of said tract in possession of James Burnsides.
- Page 347.--20th November, 1776. Samuel Givens, of Botetourt, and Martha to Andrew Lockridge.
List of 1755
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Vol. 2 - (147) 1755 - Samuel Givens processioned as follows, viz: For Patt. Crawford, present; for Jno. Givens; for Samuel Givens; for Wm. Givens; for Jas. Givens; for Thos. Turk; for Jas. Turk; for Wm Hinds, present David Moneely; for Samuel Hinds; for Christian Clemons, present Geo. Trout, Christian Clemons, Jr.; for George Trout; for Jno. Hinds; for Thos. Story; for Geo. Patterson; for James Carr; for Edward Rutledge; for John Carr; for Andrew Carr. John Finley and Alex. Crawford processioned as follows, viz: For James Sayers, for Alex. Gibson, for Andrew Foster, for Wm. Bell, for Thos. Armstrong, for Mathew Edmison, for Rob. Gilkison, for Thos. Gardner; James Bell's widow cannot show her lines; for John Trimble, for John Finley, for David Trimble, for Daniel McAnare, for Thos. Beard, for Alex. Crawford, for Jno. Allit, for James McAnare, for Thos. Beard, for Alex. Crawford, for Jno. Allit, for James Kirk, for Robert Armstrong, for Robert McCitrick.
- Page 453.--20th November, 1754. Wm. Bell, Jr and David Bell to Ro. Patrick £30, 283 acres, part of a tract conveyed by Samuel Gay to William and David. 16th February, 1747, in Beverley Manor; corner said Patrick; corner Samuel Givens, Finley's land; corner John Ramsey; corner Black's land. Teste: William and Zachanah Bell.
- Page 455.--22d March, 1770. Thomas Hicklen, Sr., to Thomas Hicklin, Jr., £100, 131 acres on Newfound Creek of the Cowpasture and now known by the name of the Bullpasture, part of 348 acres patented to Andrew Lewis, 1st June, 1750, and coneyed by him to Thomas, Sr.; corner land formerly in possession of John Wilson; corner land in possession of Samuel Givens. Teste: John Carlile, Robert ( ) Carlile, William Black. (Note: based upon this record, it appears that Samuel Givens did not make his home on his land in the Bullpasture, it was probably acquired to re-sell at a later date).
- Page 96.--On a branch of the Straight Fork of Patowmack, at a place called Frame's Cabbin patented to Samuel Black, 1st August, 1775. Teste: Patrick Buchanan, John King, Jr., Samuel Givens.
- Page 521.--11th March, 1777. Privy examination of Martha Givens, wife of Samuel, deed, to Andrew Lockbridge 20th November, 1776, before William Fleming and Richard May.
Chronicles of the Scotch-Irish Settlement in Virginia
AUGUSTA COUNTY COURT RECORDS.
ORDER BOOK No. XVI
NOVEMBER 20, 1776.
(133) Samuel Givins == Samuel Gibbens
Family Group Record FamilySearch® Ancestral File™ v4.19
Samuel GIVENS (AFN:26ZJ-21)
Born: 1721 Place: , Augusta, VA
Died: 1795 Place: , Mercer Co, KY
Father: Samuel GIVENS (AFN:26ZH-32)
Mother: Sarah CATHEY (AFN:26ZH-47)
Martha DEANE (AFN:1C85-928)
Born: < 1725 Place: <, Augusta, Va>