Facts and Events
Samuel Davidson was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Records in Augusta County, VA
- Page 526.--18th April, 1786. John Davidson's estate appraised--1773, 13th March, paid John McKeemey, who married Ann, daughter of deceased; paid Samuel Davidson, son of deceased; paid John Davidson, son of deceased; paid John Douglas, schooling of the orphans; 1762, 9th June, to amount of goods this day sold at vendue--To cash received of John Higgins. Errors executed James Lyle, executor of Daniel Lyle, deceased.
Records in Rockbridge County, VA
- 9 Nov 1786 Elizabeth DAVIDSON, Relict of John DAVIDSON dec'd, and Samuel DAVIDSON (heir at law and son of Sd John DAVIDSON, dec'd) and wife Elizabeth DAVIDSON, to Joseph RUSSELL of Shannandoe County, for £375; 300 acres next to Isaac TAYLOR and corner to John and Widow DAVIDSON's Land. Sg: Elizabeth DAVIDSON, Saml DAVIDSON, Elizabeth DAVIDSON Rec: 3 Apr 1787 Witts: Henry MAKEY, David ROGERS, James DOUGHERTY, John DAVIDSON. Rockbridge Co. VA Deed Book A, p. 632 (Deed Abstracts, p. 65)
- Rockbridge Co, VA Will Book No 3, pp 529-530:
- "Will of Elizabeth Davidson, Rockbridge County Virginia. To Wit: In the name of God amen I Elizabeth Davidson Senior of Rockbridge County being weak in body but of sound and disposing mind do make and constitiute this my last will and Testament and first of all I recommend my soul to Almight God who gave it my Body I recommend to the Earth to be decently buried. And as for such wordly goods as divine Probidence has bestowed upon me I dispose of in the manner following To wit, :first I Bequeath to my Grand Sons fifty four pounds to be divided as follows-
- To Wit to John the Eldest ten pounds to James ten the balance to be equally Divided between the other two William & Robert.
- To the three sisters of the above legetees I Bequeath fifty pounds to be equally divided between the sd Sisters Ann, Elizabeth, and Nancy.
- To John McCemey I bequeath twenty dollars also to (Margunce Reid?) twenty dollars to my son Samuel Davidson I give one dollar the balance if any there be I bequeath to :my Son John Davidson likewise my bed and Clothes of every kind & whatsoever property shall remain after my decrease and lastly I do constitute my son Jonn Davidson to execute this my last Will.
- In Testimony whereof I have affixed my hand and seal this fifth day of March one Thousand eight hundred and thirteen."
- (Signed) Elizabeth Davidson (seal)
- Dicky Beard
- William H. Letcher
- At Rockbridge County Court May 3, 1813
- A writing purporting to be the last will and Testament of Elizabeth Davidson dec'd was produced in court by John Davidson Executor
- Therein named and proved by the oath of Dicky Beard and William H. Letcher the subscribing witnesses thereto and ordered to be recorded.
- Copy Attest AW Reid CRC
- [Note: Elizabeth was this Samuel Davidson's mother]