Capt. Robert Scott, of the South Branch, Shenandoah River, VA
Facts and Events
||Capt. Robert Scott, of the South Branch, Shenandoah River, VA
||to Ann Frazier
Robert Scott was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Orange County, Virginia Records:
- 30 January 1744/5 - Robt. Scott had 157 acres "on Honey Lick Branch" (of the Shenandoah River) surveyed by Thomas Lewis, Surveyor. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 10, Dorman, pg. 54].
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Robert Scott received patent from William Beverley in "Beverley Manor" for 350 acres on 30 July, 1742. (Not shown on Hildebrand Map).
- Vol. 2 - 1744-45, January 30th--Robert Scott, 400 acres north side North River, opposite its mouth. (Note: this land was apparently located near the land of Robert's brother, Samuel on Cub Run on the South Branch of the Shenandoah River).
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 182.—17th May, 1740. Robert_Scott to Mathew Thompson, Jr. Stormy Lick Branch, Jacob Thomas. Patented to Robert, 5th March, 1747. Teste: George Scott, Robt. Hook, Wm. Lamb, Ann, wife of Robert.
- Page 468. - 17th May, 1768. Robert Scott to his son Jacob Scott, £50, 175 acres on north side of Shanando, part of 350 acres patented to Robert Scott, 30th July, 1742, Teste: Samuel Henderson, William Robertson. Delivered: Jacob Scott. 15th November, 1771.
- Page 255. - 17th May, 1773. Robert Scott, Sr. to Robert Scott, Jr., part of 200 acres patented to Robert Scott, Sr. 30th July, 1742, and of 85 acres patented 15th April, 1764 on Collins Lick Run. Delivered to Scott, 4th October, 1777.
Records in Orange County, VA
Record from Orange County, VA Will Book 2, 1744-1778:
- Pages 306-07. John Lucas. Estate Account.
- Purchasers of estate sold at publick vendue, July 1751, were John Hubbard, John Snell, John Haskew, Daniel Ramsey, William Ham, Thomas Jarman, Francis Smith, John Cleaveland, Edward Franklyn, Bradley Kimbrow, James Griffith, James Shepherd, Thomas Shakleford, thomas Overstreet, William Cave, John Coffee, Reuben Franklyn, John Cook, John Foster, David Watts, Saml. Ham, William Lucas Senr., Zachary Lucas, William Lucas Jur., John Hardwick, Thomas Warren.
- Payments made to Robt. Scott (on account of Saml. Scott, dec.), Dr. Walker, Richard Vernon, Col. Taylor, Mr. Secretary Nelson, Hon. Wm. Byrd Esq., Wiliam Lucas Jur., John Wade.
- Receipts from Mr. Hugh Miller, --- Green, John Wade (for 8 years' rent)
- Signed by William Lucas, executor.
- 28 Aug. 1760. Returned.
- [Orange County, Virginia Will Book 2, 1744-1778, Dorman, pg. 81].
Recordsin Augusta County, VA
- 23 November 1744, O.S. p. 229-A - Ordered that the Road Petitioned for by Henry Downs Gent and Viewed and Layd of by George Anderson Henry Dowley and Alexr. Thompson be allowed and that the same be Cleared and Kept in repair and its further ordered that the Male Labouring Tythables in this precinct (To Wit) From the road Below Samuell Guys to Capt John Smiths on the north mountain to Saml Scotts on the Peeked Mountain Do Clear the same under the instructions of Capt Robert Scott who is appointed Overseer of the same. (Source: ORANGE COUNTY ROAD ORDERS 1734-1749, by Ann Brush Miller)
- Vol. 1 - APRIL 14, 1746. - (22) Robert Scot qualified Captain of foot.