Robert Reed, Sr., of Middle River
Facts and Events
Robert Reed was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 495.--17th July, 1766. Alexander Blair and Jean ( ) to Robert Reed, £78, 144 acres on Middle River Shanando, crossing the bald hill. Delivered: Robert Reed, March, 1766.
- Page 185.--10 acres, part of 89 acres patented to Robert Reed, 16th March 1771. Teste: Patrick Hamilton, Alexander Waddell, Wm. Poage, Robert Reed and Barbara (mark), Patrick Hamilton and Agness (signed Ann).
- Page 474.-(abt. July/August 1773)-Patent to Robert Reed, adjoining William Oldham. Mortgage.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 508.--18th May, 1768. Robert Reed and Barbara to John Poage, £84, 170 acres on Linvel's Run, a small branch of Middle River of Shanandore patented to Robert 30th August, 1763; corner James Allen's land. Teste: Geo. Moffett, William Lusk, John Young.
- Page 64.--21st March, 1775. Robert Reed and Barbara to Alexander Reed, their son, tract on Middle River where Robert lives.
- Page 221.--140 acres conveyed to Alexander Reed by Robert Reed, Sr., 21st March. 1775.
Will Records of Robert Reed
- Page 95.--26th January, 1792. Robert Reed's will--To son, Alexander, $1; to daughter, Jean Hall, $1; to the 3 boys, the land they bought from. Jno. Poage, i. e., Robert, John, Thomas; to son, Robert; to son, John, land adjoining Andrew Jameson; to son, Thomas, to keep his mother and the rest of the girls; to daughter, Elizabeth. Executors, sons Robert and John. Teste: Samuel Somervil, John Walker, Wm. Johnson. Proved, 18th February, 1794, by all the witnesses.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 426.--__ _____, 1769. William ( ) Hamilton and Margret ( ) to their son Patrick Hamilton, £10, 100 acres patented to William Hamilton, 29th May, 1760, on Middle River of Shanandore, corner Robert Reed's land. Delivered: Patrick Hamilton, 15th August, 1771.
- Page 369.--20th August, 1771. Patrick Hamilton and Agness (signed Ann) to William Oldham, £20, 90 acres on Middle River of Shanandore, joining George Lewis, corner to that small piece of said tract laid off for said Lewis; corner Robert Reed. Delivered: Alexander Reed, August, 1779.
- Page 207 - George Lewis, 106 acres, Middle River. Adjoining Robert Read, John Patterson, William Oldham, William Hamilton. December 9, 1772. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 75].
- Page 478.--1st March, 1785. Thomas Stevenson's will--To son-in-law, George Poage, 1 shilling; to grandson, George Poage, 1 shilling; to grandson, John Poage; to Agness Reed; to Joseph Hannah; to Deborah Reed; to Isabel Reed; to Alex. Reed; what money Henry King owes to be given to the poor if got from him; 20 shillings to pale in the church yard; to Robert Reed, Jr. Executors, Alex. Reed and David Gibson. Teste: John Campbell, Thomas Willson, Jno. Dixon. Proved, 16th August, 1785, by Wilson and Dixon. Executors qualify. (Note: will lists several children of Robert Reed, Sr.).
Help fund new features!