Robert Givens, of the Great Calfpasture
Facts and Events
||Robert Givens, of the Great Calfpasture
Robert Givens was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
Robert Givens acquired 544 acres of land on the Great River Calfpasture from James Patton and John Lewis prior to 1762, as shown in the following record:
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 201.--18th May 1762. Robert Givin, Sr., and his wife, to their son, Robert Givin, Jr., £__, a certain piece of work done. £241 acres, part of 544 acres on Great River Calfpasture, conveyed to Robert, Sr., by James Patton and Jno. Lewis; cor. John Grame's land, John Graham's land.
Part of this land was again sold in the following transaction:
- Page 196.--21st June, 1763. Robert ( ) Given, Jr., and Jean ( ) to his brother Joseph Given, £5, 120 acres, part of 544 acres on Great River of Calfpasture between Moses McElvain's and John Graham's. Delivered: Robert Carlile, June, 1770.
Records of Robert Givens in Augusta County, VA
- MAY 21, 1747. - (198) Saml. Delap appd. Constable, vice Nath. McClure; John Spear, Constable, vice Jno. Trimble; James Galespy, Constable, vice Wm. Wright; Ro. Ramsey, Constable, vice Thos Black; Alexr. McCroskie, Constable, vice Charles Hays; John Erwin, Constable, vice James Hogshead; James Hogart and Wallace Ashton, Constables, vice James Maies; Thos. Cohoon and David Miller, Constables, on Roan Oke; Archd. Hamilton and David Stevenson, Constables, vice Danl. Deniston; James Slone, Constable, vice James Hony; Geo. Draper, Peter Rentfro and James Cohoon, Constables, vice Humb. Lyon; John Ramsey, Constable, vice Wm. Guy; James Beard and John Maggot, Constables, vice Adam Miller; Andrew Scot, Constable, vice John Ramsey; John Campbell, Constable, vice Ro. Givin; John Leath, Constable, vice Elisha Job; Valentine Sevear, Constable, vice Wm. Carroll; John States, Constable, vice James Robinson; Ro. Montgomerie and John McClintin, Constables, vice Wm. Scot.
- Page 317.--21st June, 1763. John Graham to James Graham, his son, £5, 150 acres, part of 696 acres on which said Graham, Sr., now lives, on Great Calfpasture; corner Robert Givens's land. Teste: Bryce Russell, Jas. Graham.
- Page 251.--21st June, 1763. James Lockridge and Isabella ( ) to Moses McElvain, £60, on Great River, Calf Pasture between said Lockridges and Robert Givens' lands, 260 acres. Teste: Samuel Hodge. Delivered: Moses McElvain, April, 1770.
- Page 353.--15th June, 1770. Moses McElvain and Margaret to Thomas Kinkead, £70, on Great Calfpasture between William Kinkead and Robert Givin, 26 acres conveyed to Moses by James Loughridge, 21st June, 1763. Teste: John and William Kinkead.
- (265b) Robert Givin to be summoned to show cause why he detains James O'Neal, orphan of James O'Neal, contrary to law. (Note: this may not be the same Robert Givens, as there were several in the Augusta County area by 1780).