Facts and Events
Robert Douglas was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 85.--21st March, 1759. Thos. Shields to Robt. Douglass, Ł19, 129 acres on Pine Run on south side Beverley Manor; line of Charles Campbell; line of James Robinson. Teste: Hugh McClure, Andrew McClure, Thos. Shields.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 535.--19th March, 1764. Robert Douglas to William Tincher, £50, 129 acres on the Pine Run on the south side of Beverley Manor in a line of Charles Campbell, and of James Robinson. Teste: John Bigham, George Campbell.
- DOUGLASS, ROBERT
- Campbell Co., Va. Will filed Sept. 4, 1794.
- s. James Douglass
- s. Joshua Douglass
- d. Nancy Douglass
- bro. Achilles Douglass
- bro. Billy Douglass
- bro. Robert Douglass
- [Source: Virginia wills before 1799 : a complete abstract register of all names mentioned in over six hundred recorded wills ... copied from the court house records of Amherst, Bedford, Campbell, Loudoun, Prince William, and Rockbridge Counties", by William Montgomery Clemens, Pompton Lakes, N.J.: Biblio Co., 1924].
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - Page 304.--20th November, 1760: William Drody, orphan, bound to Robert Duglass.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH, 1795 (A to H). - James Dunlop vs. James Spence.--19th February, 1793. William Spence, son of James. Jane Spence makes oath July, 1795, her husband, James Spence, etc. Robert Douglas had moved to Campbell County, 1794. George Rust lived in same county. William Kilbreath has lately gone to French Broad.
- From "CAMPBELL CHRONICLES and FAMILY SKETCHES, Embracing the History of CAMPBELL COUNTY, VIRGINIA, 1782-1926, By R. H. EARLY, LYNCHBURG, VIRGINIA 1927:
- In 1790 John Cocke sold Robertson McKinney 14O acres lying on the South branches of Bull branch at the corner of the patent of Robert Douglass.
- Robert Douglass Sr.-2 (John Douglass-1) was born on 01 Jan 1700 in County of Antrim, N. Ireland. He died on 16 Dec 1795 in Campbell County, Virginia. He married Mary Cummings on 1739 in County of Down, Ireland. She was born on 06 Jun 1720 in County of Down, N. Ireland. She died on 20 Dec 1810 in Campbell County, Virginia.
- Children of Robert Douglass Sr. and Mary Cummings are:
- i. Joshua Douglass, B: Aft. 1739, D: Abt. 1811 in Campbell County, Virginia.
- ii. Betty Douglass, B: Aft. 1740.
- iii. Mary Douglass, B: Aft. 1740, M: Abt. 1760.
- 3. iv. Robert Douglass Jr., B: 10 Mar 1758 in Staunton, Augusta Co., Virginia, D: 10 Jul 1837 in Cog Hill, McMinn Co., Tennessee, M: 28 Dec 1784 in Staunton, Augusta Co., Virginia.
- v. Nancy Douglass, B: Abt. 1762, M: 19 Aug 1793.
- vi. James Douglass.
- Robert Douglass, Sr. and his wife Mary (Cummings) removed from Augusta County, Virginia to Campbell County around 1784. Both Robert, Sr., and his son Robert, Jr. are listed in 1785 property tax records. A few years later, in 1787, Robert, Jr. and his young family moved from Campbell County to the upper part of East Tennessee. In June of 1787 Robert, Sr. wrote his Will and Testament wherein he leaves only “an English Shilling or a pisteern” to his son Robert. Jr.. As such one may conclude that the father was not favorable of his son’s migration into unsettled territory along the frontier. It is known that one of his sons, Joshua, stayed on in Campbell County as he is reported to have passed away there around 1811. Robert Douglass, Sr. passed away in 1794 according to his Will filed in Campbell County September 4, 1794. Mary (Cummings) Douglass died in Campbell County December, 1810. An attachment to Campbell County apparently stayed with Robert Douglass as shown in this 1837 Will wherein he will he willed money due to him from a person or persons residing in Campbell County, Virginia.
- [Source: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tqpeiffer/Documents/Locations%20-%20USA/County/Campbell%20Co.,%20VA.htm].