Facts and Events
||Col. Robert Breckenridge
||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
||Staunton, Augusta County, Virginiato Mary Poage
||22 May 1740
||Orange, Virginia, United Statesnamed in certificate of importation granted to his father which stated that family passed through Ireland and Philadelphia, PA on the way to VA
||21 Nov 1753
||Augusta, Virginia, United StatesSheriff of Augusta County
||Augusta, Virginia, United StatesCapt. of a company of Rangers incorporated with the 1st VA Regiment for an expedition against the Shawnee Indians
||10 Jul 1758
||Augusta County, Virginiato Letitia Preston
||Fincastle, Botetourt, Virginia, United States
Robert Breckenridge was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Robert Breckenridge's land (Beverley Manor SW, 761 acres, 1742, with his brother George Breckenridge) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009. (Note: adjoining tract of Robert's brother George Breckenridge (540 acres, 1747) is highlighted in brown).
Robert Breckenridge's land (Beverley Manor SW, 245 acres, conveyed to him by his father, Alexander Breckenridge by his will of 1743) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
Acquisition of Land from Orange County, Virginia Records:
- Pages 67-70. 25-26 Nov. 1742. William Beverley, Esq. of Essex County to George and Robt. Breckenridge of Orange County. Lease and release; for £25 current money. 761 acres in Beverley Manor... by the South River... George Breckenridge to have 300 acres on the north west and the remainder to Robt. Breckenridge. (signed) Wm. Beverley. Wit: James Patton, John Lewis, Samll. Gray. 27 9ber [Nov]. 1742. Acknowledged by William Beverley, Esq. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 7, Dorman, pg. 42].
Disposition of Land from Orange County, Virginia Records:
- Pg. 156-156. Indenture 21 July 1745 between Robert Brakenridge of Augusta County and William Logan of same.. for five shillings.. sells 400 acres in that part of Augusta lying on the north side of Shannando Riv. and bounded.. John Smith's line.. (signed) Robt. Brakenridge (seal). Witnesses: John Lewis, Robt. Armstrong, Thos. Lewis. Paid ₤20 and release recorded 25 July 1745. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 10, Dorman, pg. 43].
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 383.—21st August, 1765. Robert Breckenridge and Lettice to Stephen Loy. £230 (paid by said Martin Loy), 245 acres in Beverley Manor conveyed to Robert, 17th May, 1749.
Information on Robert Breckenridge
Robert Breckinridge ( -1773) came from Pennsylvania to settle in Botetourt County, where he served as Sheriff, Justice and Lieutenant Colonel of the Militia.
According to an old newspaper article: "From Robert descended the branch so illustrious as statesmen, orators and divines."
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 Dorman, John Frederick. The Prestons of Smithfield and Greenfield in Virginia: descendants of John and Elizabeth (Patton) Preston through five generatons. (Louisville, Kentucky: Filson Club, c1982).
3. Letitia PRESTON (John1) was born in 1729 in Ireland. She married Col. Robert Breckinridge on July 10, 1758 in Augusta Co., VA. She died in March, 1797.
Letitia moved from Botetourt Co., VA to Fayette Co., KY in May 1793 with all the children except James.
Col. Robert BRECKINRIDGE was born in 1720 in Ayshire, Scotland. He married Mary Poague circa 1740. He died in 1772 in Fincastle, Botetourt County, Va.
Robert Breckinridge is named in a certificate of importation on May 22, 1740 that was granted to his father by the Orange County Court which also stated that the family came from Ireland to Philadelphia, PA and then to VA. He became Sheriff of Augusta Co., VA on November 21, 1753. Robert began military service in 1756 in Augusta Co., VA and was the captain of a company of Rangers which was incorporated with a detachment of the 1st VA Regiment for an expedition under Col. Andrew Lewis against the Shawnee Indians.
Children of Letitia Preston and Col. Robert Breckinridge were as follows:
19. i. William BRECKINRIDGE, born May 2, 1759; married Mary Gilham.
+ 20. ii. John BRECKINRIDGE, born December 2, 1760 in Staunton, VA; married Mary Hopkins Cabell.
+ 21. iii. James BRECKINRIDGE, born March 7, 1763 in Botetourt County, VA; married Ann Selden.
22. iv. Jane BRECKINRIDGE was born circa 1765. She died young.
23. v. Elizabeth BRECKINRIDGE, born circa 1766; married Samuel Meredith.
24. vi. Preston BRECKINRIDGE, born March 17, 1770; married Elizabeth Trigg.
Help fund new features!