Facts and Events
Peter Kinder was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Immigration of Peter, George and Casper Kinder
- 1738 Sep 19 - Peter, George, and Caspar Kinder, Palatine males over the age of 16, arrived in Philadelphia, having emigrated from Rotterdam via Plymouth. They signed their last name "Gunther" but it was recorded on the oath of allegiance as "Kinder." (Note: it is assumed that Peter, George and Caspar were related, but the nature of the relationship has not been proven).
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land in Augusta County, VA:
- 1747 - Peter Kinder acquired land on Goose Creek (near Roanoke VA) . (Note: this is substantiated by the deed from James Patton to Alexander Wright in 1754 adjoining Peter Kinder's land "on west side Roanoke", listed below).
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 194.--16th November, 1768. Peter ( ) Kinder (Ginder) to James Neelly, £100, 150 acres on Goose Creek. Delivered: James Neelly, October, 1774. (Note: this land was sold by Peter Kinder, Jr., 19 years after his father had died).
Estate Records of Peter Kinder
- Page 229.--2d March, 1749. Peter Kinder's appraisement. (Note: the date listed in this record and also in "Millikin vs. Kinder" listed below show that Peter had died prior to 2 March 1749).
- Vol. 2 - NOVEMBER 30, 1749. - (296) Catherine Christian, Sarah, Peter, and Catherine, orphans of Peter Kinder, to be bound by Church Wardens.
- Page 267.--17th August, 1758. Peter Kender's (Kinder? Ginder?) estate, account with Alex. Wright, administrator--To sundries from 22d August, 1748, to 22d August. 1749. Paid Erwin Patterson, Patrick Vance, for wages. Paid Alex. Ingram (4 days writing). Paid Ephraim Vause for crying the vendue. Paid Francis Cyphers, Henry Brown, Geo. Griffith. These did not pay for goods bought at vendue, viz: Joseph Kimmins, James McAfee, Jean Patterson, John Gold, Joseph McDonald, David Robinson.
Records of Peter Kinder in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - MUSTER LIST OF AUGUSTA COUNTY - 1742: Capt. George Robinson's List: George Robinson, Captain; James McFeron, Lieutenant; Pat. Shirky, Ensign; James Ranfro, Sergeant; Dan Manaughan, Mark Coal, Peter Ranfro, George Draper, Rob Roland, Edw. Smith, Fran Kelly, And. Ganghagall, Henry Stiles, Hen Philip, Thomas Rindel, Thomas Looney, Rob Looney, Dan Looney, Adam Looney, Mark Joans, John Askins, John Flower, James Coal, Bryan Cass, Cornel Dougherty, Wm. Acres, Tasker Tosh, Hen Brown, Sam Brown, James Burk, Wm. Bean, _____Evins, Sam Martin, Peter Kinder, Stephen Evins, Peter Watkins, Stephen Ranfro, Benj. Davis, Wm. Clark, Wm. Shepherd, Benj. Deeson, John Smith, Hugh Coruthers, Wm. Bradshay, John Coal, Wm. Craven, Simon Acres, Nicol Horseford, _____ Meason.
- Page 89.--Sale bill of above estate (Estate of Daniel Monahan), 13th December, 1744, purchasers, viz: James Price, Wm. Akers, Pat Shirkey, Chas. Ewing, John Thomas, Mary Akers, Nicholas Harford, Mary Kinder, Wm. Armstrong, Wm. Carson, Archibald Grimes, Wm. Mills, James Burk, Bryan Cuff, Wm. Armstrong, Henry Brown, Daniel Creeley, Pat Shirkey, Mark Cole, George Barberer, Simon Akers, Peter Kinder, Joseph Love, Methusalem Griffith, Tobias Bright, Jno. McFall, Wm. March, Mark Cole, Jasper Terry. Henry Brown, Jr., Wm. Terry, Stephen Rentfro. 1740 - The estate of Daniel Monahan, Dr. Cash paid Joseph Tate. Cash paid Edmond Cartledge. 1743--Cash paid Andrew Gaughagin.
- Vol. 1 - November 19, 1746. - (131) Road ordered from Ridge dividing waters of New River from waters of So. Br. Roanoak to end in a road that leads over the Blue Ridge--James Cambell and Mark Evans, overseers. Old Mr. Robinson and his sons, Thos. Wilson and his two sons, Wm. Beus and his brother, all the Ledfords, Saml. Brown, Henry Brown, Saml. Niely, James Burk, James Bean, Francis Estham, Ephraim Voss and servants, Francis Summerfield, John Mason, 'Tasker and Thomas Tosh, John and Peter Dill, Uriah Evans's sons, Mathuselah Griffiths and sons, John Thomas, Peter Kender.
- Vol. 1 - FEBRUARY, 1749 (B). - Charles Millikin vs. Peter Kinder.--February, 1749. Abates by death of defendant.
- Page 150.--17th May, 1749. Ann Hungate's bond as administratrix of Charles Hungate, with sureties John Robinson, Peter Kinder (Günder).
- Page 465.--18th November, 1754. Col. James Patton to Alexander Wright, merchant, £5, 35 acres by patent 3d November, 1750; corner Peter Kinder on west side Roanoke.
Information on Peter Kinder
Peter, his wife, Mary, and a small child died in the Great Flood of 1749 in Roanoke, Virginia. He was 39 years old.
FamilyTreeMaker site of Denny C. Jackson
Help fund new features!