Facts and Events
||25 Jan 1851
||Drumcree, County Armagh, Ireland
||21 Sep 1870
||Dublin, County Dublin, IrelandSt Kevin's Roman Catholic Church, Harrington Street
to Robert Kelly
||3 Apr 1881
||Liverpool, Lancashire, England48 Ascot Street
||14 Aug 1883
||New York, New York, United StatesSS Wyoming
||1 Jun 1900
||Manhattan, New York, New York, United States244 East 34th Street
||1 Jun 1905
||Manhattan, New York, New York, United States432 Thirty Third Street
||23 Jul 1910
||Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United StatesSS Haverford
||4 Aug 1910
||Cobh, County Cork, IrelandSS Haverford
||2 Apr 1911
||Rathgar, Rathfarnham, County Dublin, Republic of Ireland4 Abercorn Terrace, Harold's Cross Road
||20 Aug 1911
||Liverpool, Lancashire, EnglandSS Caronia
||28 Aug 1911
||New York, New York, United StatesSS Caronia
||3 Apr 1917
||Manhattan, New York, New York, United States
Maria Reid was baptised on 25th January 1851 in the Catholic Church in the parish of Drumcree in County Armagh. She was the fifth of seven children of a mason and bricklayer named John Reid and his wife Julia Hanlon. John appears to have worked building the railway network in Ireland - baptisms have been found for six of the couple's children, with each baptism in a different county of Ireland, generally in an area close to where a railway was being built at the time. In 1851, a major railway junction was being built in the town of Portadown, which is in the parish of Drumcree - indeed, Drumcree Catholic Church is actually in the centre of Portadown. The family is therefore more likely to have lived in Portadown town than Drumcree village. The family did not stay long in Drumcree. By 1853 the family was living in Dublin.
Maria's next sighting is in 1866, when she was godmother to a Maria Theevles, daughter of Michael Theevles and Elizabeth King. Maria's connection to the Theevles appears to be as a neighbour - the Theevles lived at 8 Lower Kevin Street, which is certainly the address where Maria was living by 1870, suggesting she was probably living there by 1866.
On 21st September 1870, aged 18, Maria married a Robert Kelly. They had a son the following year in Dublin, although he may well have died young. Some time between 1871 and 1875 Maria and Robert moved to England, where they lived in Liverpool, Lancashire. Whilst in Liverpool, they had three daughters.
In 1882, Robert emigrated to America, settling in New York. Quite likely he was going ahead to get established and then send for his family - Maria and the children followed him in 1883. Maria and Robert went on to have at least two more children in New York. The family lived in Manhattan, appearing in the 1900 census at 244 East 34th Street and in the 1905 census at 432 33rd Street. In the 1900 census, Maria reported that she had had a remarkable 16 children, although only 9 were still living.
In 1910, Maria returned to Ireland for the first time since emigrating to America in 1883. Her husband Robert stayed behind in New York, living with their married daughter Lydia. Maria visited her sister Rosanna in Dublin and stayed with Rosanna's daughter, Julia Farrell. The 1911 census finds Maria living with her niece Julia at 4 Abercorn Terrace, Harold's Cross Road in Rathgar, in the southern suburbs of Dublin. Maria returned to New York in August 1911, having stayed in Ireland for about a year. Her passenger record from when she returned in 1911 tells us that she was 5 feet 2 inches tall, of brown complexion and with brown hair and blue eyes.
Maria died on 3rd April 1917, aged 66.
- ↑ Irish Family History Foundation. RootsIreland. (Newbridge, County Kildare, Ireland), Primary quality.
Name: Maria Reid
Date of baptism / birth: 25 Jan 1851
Parish / district: Drumcree
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Father: John Reid
Mother: Julia O'Hanlon
Sponsors: Malendine Diens & Sara Jane Devlin
- ↑ General Register Office. Public Record Office (PRO) RG 11 General Register Office: 1881 Census Schedules. (The National Archives), Piece RG 11/3600 Folio 32 Page 62, 3 Apr 1881, Primary quality.
|Address||48 Ascot St, Liverpool, Lancashire|
|Name||Relation to head||Marital status||Sex||Age||Implied birthdate||Occupation||Birthplace|
|Robert Kelly||head||married||male||32||1848/9||Labourer Dock||Manchester, Lancashire|
|Julia Kelly||daughter||female||6||1874/5||Scholar||Liverpool, Lancashire|
|Margaret Kelly||daughter||female||3||1877/8||Liverpool, Lancashire|
|John Jones||lodger||widower||male||52||1828/9||Labourer Dock||Quebec, Canada|
- ↑ National Archives and Records Administration. New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957. (Washington, D. C.: National Archives and Records Administration), 1883 August 14 / Wyoming / Image 3, 14 Aug 1883, Primary quality.
Maria Kelly, 29, wife, England, United States
Julia Kelly, 9, child, England, United States
Margaret Kelly, 4, child, England, United States
Maria Kelly, 11mos, infant, England, United States
- ↑ United States. Census Office. 12th census, 1900. New York, 1900 federal census : soundex and population schedules. (Washington, District of Columbia: National Archives and Records Administration, 19--?), New York, New York, 0504 Borough of Manhattan, Election District 16, New York City Ward 20, page 29, 1 Jun 1900, Primary quality.
Address: 244 East Thirty-fourth
Robert Kelly, head, white, male, b. Nov 1849, married 30 years, b. Ireland, father b. Ireland, mother b. Ireland, immigrated 1882, naturalized, Printer, 1 month out of work
Maria Kelly, wife, white, female, b. May 1854, married 30 years, mother of 16 children, 9 children still living, b. Ireland, father b. Ireland, mother b. Ireland, immigrated 1883
Julia Kelly, daughter, white, female, b. May 1876, single, b. unknown, father b. Ireland, mother b. Ireland
Margaret Kelly, daughter, white, female, b. Nov 1879, single, b. England, father b. Ireland, mother b. Ireland, immigrated 1883, Millener, 0 months out of work
Maria Kelly, daughter, white, female, b. Nov 1881, single, b. England, father b. Ireland, mother b. Ireland, immigrated 1883, Dress-maker, 2 months out of work
Teresa Kelly, daughter, white, female, b. May 1884, single, b. New York, father b. Ireland, mother b. Ireland, Cash-girl, 0 months out of work
Ciddick [possibly mistranscribed Liddiar?] Kelly, daughter, female, b. Nov 1888, single, b. New York, father b. Ireland, mother b. Ireland, At school
plus seven roomers and a servant
- ↑ New York, United States. 1905 State Census, County: New York / Borough: Manhattan / Assembly District 11 / Election District 7 / Image 17, 1 Jun 1905, Primary quality.
|Address||432 Thirty Third Street, Manhattan, New York, New York|
|Name||Relation||Color||Sex||Age||Nativity||Years in US||Citizen or alien||Occupation|
|Kelly, Robert||Head||W||M||56||Ireland||22||Cit||Day Laborer|
|Kelly, Theresa||daughter||W||F||21||U.S.||Cit||Operator Belts|
|Hilliard, Charles||Son in Law||W||M||20||U.S.||Cit||Cable splicer|
|Hilliard, Robert L.||Grandson||W||M||1/12||U.S.||Cit||At home|
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 UK Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960. (Provo, Utah, United States: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2008), Class BT26 Piece 432 Item 11, 4 Aug 1910, Primary quality.
Name of Ship: Haverford
Date of Arrival: Aug 4 1910
Whence Arrived: Philadelphia
Port of Arrival: Liverpool
Steamship Line: American
Names and Descriptions of BRITISH Passngers
Port of Embarkation: Philadelphia
Name of Passenger: Maria Kelly
Irish, female, aged 45
Port at which Passnger landed: Queenstown
- ↑ Census Office. Ireland Census 1911. (Dublin: National Archives of Ireland), County: Dublin / Urban District: Rathmines & Rathgar / Parish: Rathfarnham / District Electoral Division: Rathmines & Rathgar West / Street: Abercorn Terrace, Harold's Cross Road / Schedule 4, 2 Apr 1911, Primary quality.
Address: 4 Abercorn Terrace, Harold's Cross Road, Rathgar, Rathfarnham, County Dublin
Form A (about the people):
Julia May O'Farrell, Head, Catholic, Read & write, female, 34 [1876/7], Lady Clerk D.B.C., Single, born Dublin City, Speaks English
Marie Kelly, Aunt, Catholic, Read, female, 55 [1855/6], married 7 years, 5 children born, 5 still living, born Downpatrick, Speaks English
Robert Joseph May, Boarder, Catholic, Read & write, male, 20 [1890/1], Student of Medicine College Surgeon, single, born County Louth, speaks Irish & English
But for Maria's passenger list returning to America that August, there would be some doubt as to whether this was her, given the discrepancy in years married, place of birth and number of children. We know Maria's niece Julia filled in the form, so may have been less sure of her aunt's details. The place of birth of Downpatrick is probably easily confused with Portadown for someone unfamiliar with the area.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 National Archives and Records Administration. New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957. (Washington, D. C.: National Archives and Records Administration), 1911 August 28 / Caronia / Image 58, 28 Aug 1911, Primary quality.
SS Caronia sailing from Liverpool 20 Aug 1911 arriving at Port of New York 28 Aug 1911
Name: Kelly, Maria
Age: 55y, 3m
Married or single: married
Read and write: can't read or write
Last permanent residence: New York USA, Non immigrant alien
Name and address of nearest relative or friend in country whence alien came: Sister Mrs John Farrell, 19 Upper Stephen St, Dublin
Destination: New York, NY
Whether having a ticket to such final destination: Yes
By whom was passage paid: Daughter
Whether in possession of $50: None
Whether ever before in the United States: Yes - 1883-1910, New York
Whether going to join a relative or friend: Daughter Mrs L. Hilliard, 244 7th Av. New York
Condition of health: Good
Deformed or crippled: No
Marks of identification: None
Place of birth: Dublin, Ireland
- ↑ New York, United States. New York City Municipal Deaths, 1795-1949. (FamilySearch), Primary quality.
d. Maria Kelly, 3 Apr 1917, Manhattan, New York City, New York, United states
Address: 188 West End Av.
Buried: 5 Apr 1917, Calvary Cemetery
Father: John Reid, b. Ire.
Mother: Julia Hanlan, b. Ire.
- ↑ Baptisms register in Source:Dublin, County Dublin, Republic of Ireland. Parish Registers of St Kevin's Roman Catholic Church, Harrington Street, Primary Quality
b. 25 Oct 1866, Maria daughter of Michael Theevles & Elizabeth King, of 8 Lr Kevin St, sponsors Ricaredus Reverd & Maria Reed
- ↑ John does not appear with Robert and Maria in the 1881 census, when he would have been only 9, therefore unlikely to be away from home.