Facts and Events
- ↑ James Penniman, in Anderson, Robert Charles. The Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England, 1620-1633. (Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1995), 1429.
Children of James Penniman and Lydia Eliot: 2) Lydia m. by 1653 [child b. 12 Jul 1653] Edward Adams. Will of her mother, Lidia Wight", dated 22 Dec 1673 mentions my Daughter Lydia Adams. [Comments: "only evidence in favor of the Rockwood identification" is choice of Edward Adams as guardian by 2 children of Nicholas Rockwood.]
- ↑ Medfield, Norfolk, Massachusetts, United States. Vital Records of Medfield, Massachusetts, to the Year 1850. (Boston, Massachusetts: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1903), 190.
ADAMS, Lidia, w. Edward, [died] Mar. 3, 1675-6.
- Torrey, Clarence Almon. New England Marriages Prior to 1700. (1963).
Adams, Edward (1629-1716) & 1wf Lydia [Penniman]/Rockwood? "latter prob wrong" (-1676); b. 1653; Medfield
It would be worth seeing the microfilm of Torrey's manuscript for his sources. Does he cite Andrew Adams' genealogy (source listed above)? If not, it may be independent corroboration of the Rockwood record. This work is not sourced, but was reportedly compiled from family records of various lines. It references parents for Lydia Rockwood.
:McIntire Anc. 283; Brainerd Anc. 7; Reg. 83:485; LBDF&P (1913) 43; NYGBR 12:11; Bartlett: H. Adams 80; Allen (,4) 14; Crafts 35; Fulton Anc. 157; Partridge 4; Parker (,9) 329; Vinton Mem. 291; Tingley-Meyers 125, 248; Adams (1898) 7, 189; Tracy (1936) 161-2
- Adams, Andrew N. A Genealogical History of Henry Adams, of Braintree, Mass., and His Descendants: Also John Adams, of Cambridge, Mass., 1632-1897. (Rutland, Vt: A Adams (printed by the Tuttle Co), 1898), p. 7.
Ensign Edward Adams m. (1) 1652 Lydia Rockwood, d/o Richard Rockwood and Agnes Bicknell, who d. 3 Mar 1676.
- Richardson, Benjamin Parker Jr. "Some Adams Questions", in The American Genealogist. (Demorest, Habersham, Georgia, United States: D.L. Jacobus), Vol. 53, p. 37.
Abstract: survey of secondary sources: "none ...contains any documentation". No record of marriage. Edward and Lydia Adams in Medfield 1653 until she died 1676, 14 children. Will of James Penniman does not name all his children, specifically not Lydia. Mother's will says Lydia Adams but does not name husband. Edward Adams guardian in 1681 of John and Nathaniel, sons of Nicholas Rockett. No conclusive primary evidence. "Excellent reputation of the late Mr. Bartlett ... low repute of the work of the Rev. Abner Morse" suggests "likely to be correct" that Edward Adams' wife was Lydia Penniman.
- ↑ Boston (Massachusetts). City Registrar. Births 1630-1799, 1849-1900, and indexes 1630-1869 (Boston, Massachusetts). (Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1969), p. 3.
1634. First Church.
Lydia of James Pennyman 22 day 12 mo.
[Note: In old-styles dates, the twelfth month is February. For comparison to the modern calendar, it corresponds to the following year. More info may be found here.]
Help fund new features!