Facts and Events
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Herald of Truth - Volume XIX, Number 10 - May 15, 1882, in MennObits: Mennonite Obituaries, p 157, 158.
SHANTZ.- March 19th, in Waterloo township, Waterloo county, Ontario, of old age, Bro. Joseph Shantz, aged 86 years, 8 months and 25 days. Buried at Martins grave-yard.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Eby, Ezra E. A biographical history of Waterloo township and other townships of the county ... (Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1971), 2:421-22.
'SHANTZ, JOSEPH, the youngest son of Isaac and Barbara (Reiff) Shantz, was born near Pottsdown, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, June 24, 1795. In May, 1808, his mother, with her three youngest children, David, Veronica, and Joseph, who was then only thirteen years of age, moved to Canada and arrived in Waterloo County in June. ... Here he was raised and on July 8th, 1817, he was married to Catherine, daughter of Joseph and Barbara (Eby) Schneider. She was born February 12th, 1799, and died September 15th, 1881. ... [In] 1849 ... they moved on the farm being composed of the west half of lot No. 26, German Company's Tract, ... After his sons, Joseph and Menno, were married, he divided his farm into two and gave each one about half, ... Here he died, March 19th, 1882, six months after the decease of his wife.'
Other information in the same book contradicts the list of children who immigrated with their mother. David apparently immigrated in 1809, and it was Isaac who immigrated with his mother and two younger siblings (Joseph and Veronica).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Putnam, Robert T, and Ontario Genealogical Society. Waterloo-Wellington Branch. Martin Mennonite Cemetery (Martin Meeting House Cemetery): corner of: King Street North & County Squire Road, Waterloo City, Waterloo County, Ontario. (Kitchener, Ontario: Waterloo-Wellington Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society, 1993), page 36, #12-40.
'Zum Andenken an/Joseph Shantz/geb.den/24 Juni,1795/gest.den/19 Maerz 1882/Alter 86 Jahre/8 Monate u. 25 Tage/[verse]/'
- Canada West (Ontario), Waterloo County, Waterloo, in United Province of Canada. 1851 Census of Canada. (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada: Library and Archives Canada).
Joseph Shantz, age 56, farmer, born in States
his wife: Catherine Shantz, age 54, born in States
his daughter: Maria Shantz, age 24, born in Canada
his son: Joseph Shantz, age 22, born in Canada
his son: Menno Shantz, age 16, born in Canada
servant: Aron Zegler, age 23, born in Canada
adopt. daughter: Susan Schrock, age 10, born in Canada
- Canada West, Waterloo, in Canada. 1861 Census of Canada. (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada: Library and Archives Canada).
Joseph Shantz Sen, age 65, born in Pennsylvania
Catherine Shantz, age 63, born in Pennsylvania
Susanna Shrock, age 19, born in U[pper] Canada
- Ontario, Waterloo North, in Canada. 1871 Census of Canada. (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada: Library and Archives Canada).
Joseph Shantz, age 76, born in United States, Mennonite, gentleman
Katharine Shantz, age 74, born in United States, Mennonite
- Ontario, Waterloo North, in Canada. 1881 Census of Canada. (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada: Library and Archives Canada).
Joseph Shantz, age 85, born in U St, Mennonite
Catherine Shantz, age 82, born in U St, Mennonite
Hariet Godbold, age 32, born in Ontario, Lutheran