- Capt. Joseph Poindexter1736 - 1826
Facts and Events
Joseph Poindexter was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisitions in Virginia
Culpeper/Albemarle County Transactions:
- 15 May 1755 - "Joseph Poindexter of the County of Louisa and Parish of Fredericksville" purchased 180 acres of land "lying and being in Culpepper County, Bromfield Parish on both sides of the North fork of Rush River. [Culpepper County Deed Book "E", p150].
- 9 March 1770 - Joseph Poindexter of Augusta County, purchased 275 acres on the North fork of the James River at the foot of Piney Mountain. [Albemarle County Deed Book 5, pg. 149].
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 230.--20th March, 1770. Joseph Poindexter and Elizabeth to Thomas Rodgers, £50, 143 acres on north side Shanandore; John Patrick's line; Thomas Turk's line. Teste: John Rodgers, James Kennerly, Jr., Samuel Woods.
- Page 98.--10th June, 1777. Joseph Poindexter and Elizabeth, of Bedford, to William Foster (delivered: William Foster, Jr., 13th August, 1782), 500 acres, part of 643 acres conveyed to Joseph by Adam Dean, deed recorded in General Court.
Records of Joseph Poindexter in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 17, 1773. - (19) Joseph Poindexter, road surveyor, vice John Black.
- Vol. 1 - MAY, 1779 (M). - Thomas Turk vs. Joseph Poindexter.--Trespass. A. and B. by defendant on Thomas Turk, son of plaintiff, on 1st December, 1773.
- Vol. 1 - JUNE 15, 1779. - (40) Road surveyor: John Patrick, vice Joseph Poindexter.
- Page 48.--18th March, 1783. William Foster, Sr., to William Foster, Jr., 250 acres on South River, part of 500 acres conveyed to William, Sr., by Joseph Poindexter and Elizabeth, in the General Court. Delivered: Samuel Bell, 10th August, 1786.
- Page 347.--14th September, 1786. William Foster, Sr., of Botetourt, William Foster, Jr., and Elisabeth, of Augusta, to Samuel Bell, tract conveyed by Joseph Poindexter to William Foster, Sr., and by him conveyed to his son William, 20th May, 1783. Teste: Robert Porterfield, John Patrick, John Cullen.
- Vol. 1 - File No. 926.--Calvert vs. Kennerley. Ross (Rolls?) Calvert and Charles Harper complain that on 19th September, 1794, George Calvert purchased of James Kennerley, since deceased, a tract in Culpeper County--325 acres. George assigned the title bond to orators on 29th March, 1806. Kennerley died testate. Will recorded in Staunton District Court, but died intestate as to this land. James Kennerley's son, Benjamin, has died intestate and without issue. James left other issue, viz: Sons James, Thomas, Samuel; Mary Lockhart, then wife of Patrick Lockhart, but now sole; Elizabeth Poindexter, wife of Joseph Poindexter; William and Reuben; Kitty Craig, wife of George Craig. William and Reuben and James have made a deed to orators, but were without title. The heirs reside partly in Virginia and partly in other parts. Thomas resides in Kentucky. Spa. dated 23d August, 1810.
- Page 101.--James Kennerley, Sr.'s, will, dated, 23d June, 1797--Sons, Reuhen, William, and Benjamin, James, Thomas, and Samuel; daughters, Mary Lockhart, Elizabeth Poindexter, Kitty Craig. Proved, 3d April, 1807. (Note: James Kennerly was Joseph Poindexter's father-in-law).
Information on Joseph Poindexter
Family Group Record FamilySearch™ Ancestral File v4.19
Search Results | Download GEDCOM | Print
Joseph POINDEXTER (AFN:50J9-WP) Pedigree
Born: 6 Jun 1736 Place: Hanover, Louisa, Va
Christened: Place: St Pauls Parish, Hanover Cty, Va
Died: 29 Jun 1826 Place: , Campbell, Va
Buried: Place: Naruna, Campbell Co, Va
Married: 10 Feb 1763 Place: , Louisa, Va
Father: John P POINDEXTER (AFN:2CP3-TP) Family
Mother: Christian (Anderson) GISSAGE (AFN:50J8-QP)
Elizabeth James KENNERLY (AFN:CX8G-QT) Pedigree
Born: 29 Feb 1747 Place: , Orange, Va
Died: 5 Feb 1828 Place: Campbell Co, Va
Buried: 1826 Place:
Married: 10 Feb 1763 Place: , Louisa, Va
Father: James KENNERLY (AFN:VFZ5-7N) Family
Mother: Elizabeth Winston JAMES (AFN:VFZ5-8T)
1. Sex Name
M Thomas Kennerly POINDEXTER (AFN:RH0T-NP) Pedigree
Born: 15 Jan 1778 Place: , , Of Va
Died: 26 Jun 1843 Place:
2. Sex Name
M William POINDEXTER (AFN:RH0T-MJ) Pedigree
Born: 19 Jan 1772 Place: , , Of Va
Died: 1834 Place:
3. Sex Name
F Elizabeth POINDEXTER (AFN:RH0T-TK) Pedigree
Born: 29 Oct 1785 Place: , , Of Va
4. Sex Name
F Ann POINDEXTER (AFN:RH0T-HT) Pedigree
Born: 13 Feb 1764 Place: , , Of Va
5. Sex Name
M Richard POINDEXTER (AFN:RH0T-Q2) Pedigree
Born: 13 Feb 1776 Place: , , Of Va
Died: Jan 1850 Place:
6. Sex Name
M Joseph POINDEXTER (AFN:RH0T-PV) Pedigree
Born: 19 Feb 1774 Place: , , Of Va
Died: 10 Jan 1824 Place: , Rutherford, Tenn
7. Sex Name
M Reuben POINDEXTER (AFN:RH0T-R7) Pedigree
Born: 13 Mar 1780 Place: , , Of Va
Died: 12 Mar 1816 Place:
8. Sex Name
M John POINDEXTER (AFN:RH0T-LC) Pedigree
Born: 19 Mar 1770 Place: , , Of Va
9. Sex Name
M Lewis POINDEXTER (AFN:RH0T-VQ) Pedigree
Born: 14 May 1790 Place: , , Of Va
10. Sex Name
M Andrew POINDEXTER (AFN:RH0T-SD) Pedigree
Born: 23 Sep 1783 Place: , , Of Va
11. Sex Name
M James POINDEXTER (AFN:RH0T-J1) Pedigree
Born: 6 Nov 1765 Place: , , Of Va
Died: 1833 Place:
12. Sex Name
M Samuel POINDEXTER (AFN:RH0T-K6) Pedigree
Born: 29 Dec 1767 Place: Of Louisa Co, Va
Died: 18 Sep 1841 Place: Of Louisa Co, Va
- Chalkley's Chronicles