- H. Joseph McClellandest 1710-1720 - bef 1759
- W. Jane Stark1712 -
m. 20 Aug. 1746
Facts and Events
Joseph McClelland was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Record of Administration in Augusta County, VA
- Page 311.--17th May, 1759. Alexander McDonald's bond (with John Ramsey. Jno. Poage) as administrator of Joseph McClelhill. (Note: Alexander McDonald was the step-son of Joseph McClelland).
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - APRIL AND JUNE, 1746. - John Lewis, gent., vs. Joseph McCleland and Jane, his wife, admx. of Randall McDowell, deceased.
- Vol. 1 - August 20, 1746 - (73) William Thompson to be overseer from Court Ho. to Tinkling Spring, already viewed, with these tithables John Lynn and his three sons, John Henderson, John Ramsey, John Preston, Wm. Palmer, David Stuart, James Coile, Joseph McClelhill, Alexr. Thompson, John Mitchell, John Hutchison, Andrew Russell, Geo. Caldwell and his two sons.
- Vol. 1 - FEBRUARY 19, 1746/7. - (158) Jurymen--Wm. Elliott, Joseph McClelhill, Andrew Nutt.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 17, 1747/8. - (361) Joseph McClelhill and Jane, late widow of Randolph McDonall, to give counter security. (Note: record proves Joseph married Jane, Randolph McDonald's widow).
- Vol. 1 - JUNE, 1747. - James McClelhill vs. Andrew McClure.--James and Jane, his wife, admrs. of Randal McDonnald. Writ dated 25th February, 1745. (Note: this record may be a transcription error, as other records clearly identify Joseph McClelland as marrying Jane, the widow of Randall McDonald).
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST, 1749 (B). - The King vs. Henry Murray.--Assault and battery on Joseph McClenen. Errors assigned ____. Presentment for beating Joseph in the meeting house yard, whereas no yard is enclosed, and several public roads are adjacent thereto, so that the assaulting might be in a public road. That the presentment is for assaulting and beating at the time of the burial service, whereas the burial service amongst Presbyterian Dissenters is no act of religious worship. Was indicted by name of Henry Morrow, whereas his name was Murray.