m. Est. 1746-1749
Facts and Events
Joseph Love, Jr. was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Information on Joseph Love, Jr.
This Joseph Love was apparently mentioned in an embarassing incident in Augusta County, VA records:
(From Genforum.com post):
Lesley, ...here is the Chalkley reference you requested:... http://www.rootsweb.com/~chalkley CHRONICLES OF THE SCOTCH-IRISH SETTLEMENT OF VA, by Lyman Chalkley "AUGUSTA COUNTY COURT RECORDS, ORDER BOOK No. VII." Chalkley, v. 1, p 96: Feb 24, 1762, p 204-Sampson Mathews [one of the later purchasers of Margaret Bess-Newland's inherited property.] declares that he saw Joseph Love bite off the left ear of John Noland [Newland?]--certified.
[Note: Joseph Love was also in the Mont. co. VA militia at the Battle of Reedy Fork together with John Newland (Summers, Annals, p. 772). He also appears on 1793 Wythe Co. personal property tax list as does John Newland. Elizabeth Gannaway, a dt. of William & Elizabeth (nee Wright, John Newland's 3rd wife) Gannaway married William Love 21 Aug. 1795 in Wythe Co. VA. William Love (probably related to Joseph Love-his son?), b abt. 1770, d abt.1834 in Hardin Co. KY.]
Aug. 26, 1766. p 311-John Love, orphan of Joseph Love, decd., to be bound to Joseph Love, Fuller.
Chalkley, v 2, p 446: p 216-16th Nov 1758: Orphan Joseph Love bound to David Bryans.
Chalkley, V. 2, p. 512:1758-March 20th, James Gatlive, at Roanoke, killed; Joseph Love, at Roanoke, killed; Wm. Love, at Roanoke, killed; servant maid & child, at Roanoke, prisoners; _____ Snodgrass, a girl, at Catawba, prisoner. [Note: It appears from the above entries that Joseph Love (jr.?) was the minor son of the Joseph Love killed by Indians in Mar 1758. By 1766 Joseph (jr.) was of age & John Love, an orphan son of Joseph Love (sr.), & thus his younger brother, was bound over to him. The William Love, who was also killed by Indians in Mar 1758, may have been an uncle or a brother to Joseph (jr.) & John.]
I think the circumstantial evidence here is sufficient to connect Joseph Love & our John "Noland"/ Newland in the 1762 ear-biting incident. They would probably have been about the same age (19), perhaps quarrelling over a girl (Margaret Bess ?), but that is pure speculation. It is certain that John Newland & a Joseph Love were at a somewhat later date together in the same places at the same times." Source: Gerald Carr
Family Group Record FamilySearch™ Ancestral File v4.19 Search Results | Download GEDCOM
Husband's Name Joseph LOVE (AFN:HQXS-R6) Pedigree Born: 1752 Place: , , Augusta Co., Virginia Died: 9 Dec 1831 Place: W.p. Buried: Place: Loves Chapel, Whites Creek, Davidson, Tennessee Married: 1772 Place: , , Albemarle Co., North Carolina Father: Joseph LOVE (AFN:HR06-WK) Family Mother: Margaret BRYAN (AFN:HR06-XQ)
Wife's Name Mary MARSHALL (AFN:HQV7-FW) Pedigree Born: 21 Dec 1751 Place: Little Britain, Lancaster, Pennsylvan Died: 1796 Place: Tn Married: 1772 Place: , , Albemarle Co., North Carolina Father: Gilbert MARSHALL (AFN:D0BL-S2) Family Mother: Martha ROWAN (AFN:D0BL-T7)
1. Sex Name F Margaret LOVE (AFN:HQXR-L6) Pedigree Born: 1780 Place: , , Lincoln Co., Kentucky Died: 1822 Place: , Nashville, Davidson, Tennessee
2. Sex Name F Elizabeth LOVE (AFN:HQXS-K5) Pedigree Born: 1773 Place: , , Augusta Co., Virginia Died: 1845 Place: , , San Augustine Co, Texas
3. Sex Name M William M. LOVE (AFN:HQXS-VP) Pedigree Born: 1778 Place: , , Augusta Co., Virginia Died: 1809 Place:
4. Sex Name M Joseph LOVE (AFN:HQXS-SC) Pedigree Born: 1775 Place: , , Augusta Co., Virginia Died: 1869 Place: , Tehuacana, Limestone, Texas
5. Sex Name M David Bryan LOVE (AFN:HQXT-1J) Pedigree Born: 1792 Place: , Whites Creek, Davidson, Tennessee Died: 1870/1880 Place:
6. Sex Name M John Gilbert LOVE (AFN:HQXT-0C) Pedigree Born: 1790/1791 Place: , Whites Creek, Davidson, Tenness Died: 1858 Place: , San Augustine, San Augustine, Texas
7. Sex Name F Susan LOVE (AFN:HQXS-WV) Pedigree Born: 1782 Place: , , Lincoln Co., Kentucky Died: 1807 Place:
8. Sex Name F Martha LOVE (AFN:HQXS-X2) Pedigree Born: 1784 Place: , Crab Orchard, Lincoln Co., Kentucky Died: 27 Jan 1821 Place: , , Wilson, Tnn Buried: 1826 Place: , Whites Creek, Davidson, Tennessee
9. Sex Name F Mary (Polly) LOVE (AFN:HQXS-Z7) Pedigree Born: 1786/1787 Place: , , Lincoln Co., Kentucky Died: Place: , Whites Creek, Davidson, Tennessee
10. Sex Name M Samuel LOVE (AFN:HQXT-2P) Pedigree Born: 1794 Place: , Whites Creek, Davidson, Tennessee
11. Sex Name M James B. LOVE (AFN:HQXS-TJ) Pedigree Born: 2 Feb 1777 Place: , , Augusta Co., Virginia Died: 20 Sep 1850 Place: , Marshville, Davidson, Tennessee