Lt. Joseph Dictum
Facts and Events
Joseph Dictum was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Joseph Dictom acquired land "on North Branch of Shannandore" from his father, Richard Tictom's estate after his father died in 1750. Joseph sold this land in the dispositions below:
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 470.--14th November, 1763. Joseph Dictom and Rachell to Conrad Custard, £130, 160 acres on North Branch of Shannandore, near the Clover Lick. Delivered: Uriah Humble, April, 1765.
- Page 66.--19th August, 1765. Joseph Dictum and Rachel to James Marshall, £20, 100 acres patented to Richard Tictom, 25th June, 1747, on North River Shanadoe; corner Bernard McKenny, mouth of Beaver Run. Delivered: Francis Stewart, 2d March, 1767.
Records in Augusta County, VA
- Page 252.--2d July, 1750. Richard Ticktom's will--Wife, Rose, the mare that was Frederick's; son, Joseph; son, Richard; daughter, Mary; daughter, Nanny (the horse at John Miller's, and cow at Ben Hass). Teste: Wm. Miller, Thos. West, John States. Presented by Rose Ticktom, 28th August, 1750, and witnesses summoned. Proved, 20th February, 1750, by States, and Rose qualified administratrix, with sureties Daniel Love, James Hamilton. (No bond here.)
- Page 80.--21st November, 1754. Daniel Love's bond as guardian (appointed) to Joseph Dictom, orphan of Richd. Dictom, with sureties Uriah Humble, Robt. Ralston.
- Page 33 - Robert and Reuben Harrison, 186 acres, East side of the East Fork of Cooks Creek. Adjoining Dictom, George Seawright, David Shrum, Cravens. The above entry made by Daniel Smith and assigned to the said Harrisons. February 13, 1783. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 109].
- Page 66 - Robert Cravens, 74 acres, Cooks Creek. Adjoining Hester Cravens, Quin, Dickton, crossing a Great Road, Daniel Love. March 30, 1786. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 120].
Information on Joseph Dictum
- Joseph Dictum was a 2nd Lt. in Rev.War he was in the Va. Militia listed as 1st Lt.
- Joseph Dictum: French & Indian War 1756; Continental Army 1775-1783; 1st Lt. 1780; May 1778 March to Tygart's Valley; Captain Robert Cravens.
- March 1756 Joseph Dictum was granted pay for service in the French & Indian War (service from Augusta Co., Va.)
- [Source: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~bhusler/Bill/Reunion/Web%20Cards/ps06/ps06_131.html]
Help fund new features!