John Patterson, Of Beverley's Manor
Facts and Events
John Patterson, Sr. was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Person:John Patterson (61) is a descendant of William (61), The Pennsylvania Patriarch
John Patterson Records in Chalkley's Chronicles
Note: there was another John Patterson, a bit older than this John Patterson that was living just south in the Borden Tract, that should not be confused with this John Patterson.
John Patterson's land (Beverley Manor SW, # of acres not listed, acquired from William Sawyers in 1748. William Sawyers had previously acquired this land from Patrick Campbell in 1745) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
John Patterson's land (Beverley Manor NE, 190 acres, acquired from Matthew Armstrong in 1762) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
Acquisition of Land from Orange County, Virginia Records:
- 1 May 1745 - Land Survey for John Patterson for 390 acres on Cathey River, by Thomas Lewis, Surveyor. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 10, Dorman, pg. 53]. (Note: Cathey's River is located just to the north of Beverley Manor, most likely near the land John Patterson acquired in 1762, listed below).
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 171.--24th October, 1748. Wm. Sayers to John Pattison, weaver, part of 1,546 acres sold by Wm. Beverley to Patrick Campbell in 1738 and by him to Wm. Sayers in 1745. Patrick Campbell. On South Branch Shanandoah. Teste: Wm. Smith, Pat. Campbell, James Mitchell, Andrew Duncan.
- Page 61.-- (undated, appears to be abt. Sept.-Nov. 1762) Mathew Armstrong and Lillie ( ) to Jno. Patterson, £117.10, 190 acres in Beverley Manor on a branch of Middle River, line of Robert King's place, cor. said Patterson; cor. Jno. Anderson's line; cor. said King's old place. Teste: John and George Anderson, Charles Baskin. Delivered: Thos. Patterson. 25th June, 1765.
From Chalkley's Augusta County Records:
- Page 305.--17th March, 1770. John Patterson's will--To wife Jane; to grandson John Patterson, son of son Robert; to son John; to son William; to son James; to son Robert; to daughters Agness, Rebecca, Elizabeth. Teste: George Taylor, John Wiley. Proved, 28th March, 1770, by the witnesses. 19th June, 1770, Jane Patterson is granted administration and qualifies (mark), with Thos. Patterson, John Allison.
- Page 377.--20th March, 1771. John Patterson's appraisement (by George Eliot, James Gambel, John Hall) recorded.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 23, 1773. - (199) Joseph Bell appointed guardian of Jennett Patterson, daughter of John Patterson, decd. (she is an idiot.) John Patterson appointed guardian of Mary Patterson, daughter of John Patterson, decd. (she is deaf and dumb).
- "Processioning" was the process or periodically reviewing and agreeing upon property lines between settlers. Processioning Lists can be useful in determining the area of a settler and the neighboring settlers at a specific time period:
- Page 285.--1760: Processioned by David Trimble and John Poage (in Capt. Israel Christian's Company), viz: For Col. Preston, for John Stuart in Staunton, for Robert Reed, for Capt. Wm. Lewis, for Maj. Andrew Lewis, for Daniel (David?) Dinyson, for Rev. John Craig, for David Bell, for Wm. and James Wallace, for John Anderson, for Robert Palley, for Wm. Anderson, for James Hughes (in Staunton), for Joseph Gamble, for Widow Willson, for Widow Long, for John Cunningham, for James Bell, for John Hutchison, for Wm. Wallace, for Mathew Armstrong, for John King, for Robert Poage, for John Finley, for John Patterson, for Anthony Black, for Patrick Neillson (?), for Robert Willey, for Mr. Archer.
From Chalkley's Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - Muster List of 1742 - Capt. John Willson's Lists: John Wilson, Captain; Sam Calehison, Nathan Lusk, John Shields, John Greer, John Patterson, George Davison. John Hunter, Wm. Hunter, James Hunter, John Rusk, James Clark, Wm. Vance, Rob Croket, John Trumble, Wm. King, Sa. Walace, John Spear, Thomas Peery, Alex. McConnel, Rob. Young, James Young, Jacob Lockard, Patt. Cook, James Lockard, William McCutcheon, James McCutcheon, Rob. McCutcheon, Alex. Crocket, Wm. Camble, Nathl. Davis, James Philip, John Barclay, James Lusk, James Trumble, Benj. Walker, Wm. Leadgerwood, Morris Offral, Rob Davies, John Brown, Wm. McClantok, Wm. Johnson, John Young, Hugh Young, Thos. Kirkpatrick, David Camble, John McCutcheon.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 24, 1749. - (161) John Patterson added to tithables.
- Page 322.--11th March, 1761. Robert ( ) Patterson, yeoman, to Thomas Patterson, his son, £10, 167 acres more or less in Beverley Manor, part of 331 acres conveyed to Robert by Beverley, 27th February, 1741, on Middle River; cor. that part of the tract belonging to John Patterson. Teste: William Baskian, Mathew Armstrong, David Bell. Delivered: Thomas Patterson, 24th June, 1765.
- Page 136.--19th November, 1766. Thomas Craige, of Charlotte County, to John Craig, his brother, of Augusta, £27, 178 acres in Beverley Manor, by the Middle River of Shanandore, Kenney's low grounds, Patterson's line. Teste: John Patterson, Robert and Seth Rodgers.
- Page 489.--17th January, 1767. John King and Mary ( ) to David Bell, £5, 10 acres between his and John Patterson's land, William Wallace's corner. Teste: John Burnsides. Delivered: David Bell, heir of the grantee, 20th February, 1806.
- Page 3.--231 acres in Beverley Manor, part of 1,546 acres sold by Beverley to Patrick Campbell in 1748, by Campbell to Wm. Sawyers, 1745; by him to John Patterson, 1748; by Patterson to Ward, 19th May, 1760.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST, 1772 (B). - Patterson vs. Gamwell.--John Patterson, son of John Patterson, Middle River, 14th. June, 1770.
- 4. John PATTERSON died in 1770. He was born in Augusta Co. VA (now Highland
Co. VA). John PATTERSON had the following children:
- 19i.Jennet PATTERSON was bapt. 14 Nov 1742.
- 20ii.Martha PATTERSON was bapt. 4 Mar 1745.
- 21iii.John PATTERSON was bapt. 24 Mar 1745.
- 22iv.Elizabeth PATTERSON was bapt. 18 Oct 1747.
- 23v.Charles PATTERSON was bapt. 22 Nov 1747. (questionable child)
Robert (B3) Patterson was the son of John and Jane _____ Patterson. He was born ca. 1740 in Augusta Co., VA. This Robert married Martha _____ after 1765 in Augusta Co., VA and was the father of John and Jean Patterson.
Help fund new features!