Facts and Events
John McGary was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- 1751, April 14th--John McGreery, 300 (acres), on Muddy Creek, joining Robt. Caldwell and Aaron Oliver (c. g. e. p.).
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - 1749, June 29th--Aaron Oliver, 400 (acres), near Jacob Dy's, vid. Jno. McGreery.
- Vol. 2 - 1750-51, February 22d--John Croutch, 200 acres, joining to, or near, James and Edward Williams' entries; bought by Even McDonald, and is to live there next fall. Christian Clayman, vid. Thos. Turk. Robert Caldwell, vid. John McGreery.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH, 1756 (A). - King vs. O'Neal.--Petition as follows: "To the Worshipful Court of Augusta County. The petition of sundry inhabitants of this County by this North Mountain, in Captain Harrison's and Captain Love's Companies, humbly sheweth:
- That your petitioners are daily troubled by John O'Neal, a person of evil fame, who, being ill natured, evil, designing, citigious, wicked man, he often takes occasion to come to the houses of some of your petitioners and then designedly raises and foments disputes with them in which he makes use of the most opprobrious and abuseful words he can invent, and as he is bound to the peace, dares any one to strike him, therefore, should any of us strike or beat him we know not what might be the consequences as we are unacquainted with the law and his usual manner threatens to shoot us if he sees any of us out of our own plantations, that he will do us all the damage he can by killing our horses, cattle, &c., and when reproved of his misbehavior he tells us that if he does any action, be it ever so bad, that he will be cleared by this Court for two pieces of eight. His behavior is such that your petitioners are afraid to leave their families to go about their lawful affairs, not knowing but he may fulfill his threats before our return by killing our wives or children, burning our houses, or doing some other irreparable damage, and, as doubtless your Worships is well acquainted with the behavior of this malicious man, we hope you will take our case into consideration and fall upon some method to hinder him from being guilty of such outrages and irregularities for the future. That we, being subjects to his Majesty and the laws of the Dominion, may be no longer abused by such a person in the above manner, and your petitioners, as in duty bound, shall ever pray.--Daniel Harrison, James Magill, Daniel Smith, John McGarry, Robert Harrison, Gawin Black, John Lonkill, Patrick Cain, Aaron Oliver, (erased), Robert Gray, Henry Smith, Benjamin Kinley, John Smith, John McClewer, Gabriel Pickens, John Hinton and Robert Patterson.
- Page 385.--29th April, 1761. Edward McGarry (McGeary) to John McGarry, Andrew Grear and Robert McGarry, £12 (odd) to be paid to Wm. Preston and £100. Furniture and house and cattle. 12 head cattle at South Fork of Pertomock and all other horses too tedius to mention. Teste: Robert Shanklen, David Bell, to secure grantees as bail for grantor, who is delivered up and Edward conveys above to Robert Shankland, his security in a bond.
- Page 350.--5th June, 1762. John McGarry and Sarah ( ) to James Greer, farmer, power of attorney to recover a patent for the land John now lives on and convey same to Archibald Hopkins. Teste: Ephraim Love and John Hopkins.
Help fund new features!