Facts and Events
John McCroskey was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Approximate location of John McCroskey's land as shown on a general map of Beverley Manor and the Borden Tract, as drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer.
John McCroskey's land (Borden Tract NW, 300 acres, 1747) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009. Note that land of Alexander McCroskey (200 acres, 1750), John McCroskey's son, is located nearby to the northeast.
John McCroskey's land (Borden Tract SE, 440 acres, 1749) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009. Note two tracts belonging to John McCroskey's son-in-law, William Carothers are located nearby to the northeast.
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 363.--21st August, 1747. Benj. Borden, &c., to John McCroskey (sold in testator's lifetime); 306 acres*, £9.9.2, part of 92,100, &c., on North Fork of the Creek; corner to William Buchanan; Isaac Anderson's line; James McDowell's land. Teste: Jno. Buchanan, Benj. Johnston, James McDowell. Acknowledgement, 21st August, 1747. (* - shown as 300 acres on Hildebrand Map and later record when John transfered title to his son David in 1754, as listed below.)
- Page 702.--22d February, 1749-50. Same (From Benjamin Borden) to John McCoskery, 440 acres of 92100; corner Daniel Lyle, John Lowry, Sen's, line, Moses Trimble's line. Teste: Wm. McCoskery, Jacob Gray, Francis Beatey.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- DEED BOOK NO. 6., Page 126.--4th January, 1754. John McCoskery, Sr., to Samuel McCoskery, 440 acres conveyed by Borden to McCoskery 22d February, 1749. Cor. Daniel Lyle; John Lowry Sr.'s, line; Moses Trimble's line. Teste: Alex., John and David McCoskery, Francis Beaty, Samuel Huston.
- Deed Book 6:129 -- 4th January, 1754. John McCOSKERY, Sr., to David McCOSKERY, 300 acres conveyed by Borden to John 21st August, 1747. Cor. Wm. Buchanan, Isaac Anderson's line on Back Creek. [Chalkley, V3, page 322].
Will of John McCroskey
- Augusta Co., Virginia Book of Records Vol. III Pg 50-51 Date: 06th May, 1758 John McCroskry's (signed Coskry) will, planter-To wife Elizabeth, Thomas Hill's bond; to daughter Elizabeth; to son James, 10 shillings; to son William, 10 shillings, to son John, 10 shillings; to son-in-law, William Caruthers; to son-in-law Saml. Huston; to son Alex. McCroksry, 10 shillings; to son David, 10 shillings; to son-in-law James Hope, 10 shillings; to granddaughter Margaret Hope and her two brothers; Saml. and David to pay the bonds assigned to James and William in case they lose not their lands by the enemy; Robert and Alexander Tedford's bonds to pay Margaret Hope; James and Isaac Anderson's bond to be divided between sons and daughters. Executors, sons Samuel, Andrew Hays, Alex. Miller. Teste: James Moore and McCroskry. McCroskry and Miller qualified (the other not appearing), with Samuel Huston, John Cunningham.
- ↑ Tennessee Cousins, A History of Tennessee People, by Worth S. Ray, Genealogical Publishing Co., 1984, pg. 366.
- ↑ Families of Washington and Smythe County, Virginia. (http://220.127.116.11/athomas/).
- ↑ Wright, Carolyn M., 1414 E. Audubon Rd., Montgomery AL, 36111 (334)281-9132, e-mail: Carolyn816@@aol.com. Family Tree Maker site - The Carolyn May Wright Family Home Page.
- ↑ Chalkley, - Augusta County, Virginia Court Abstracts, Vol. 3, pg. 50-51.