John McClure, of James River
Facts and Events
John McClure was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's (unless listed otherwise):
- Page 25 - John McClure, 50 acres, James River. February 1763. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 10].
- Page 576.--10th May, 1764. Hannah ( ) Kirkum to John McClure, £35, 100 acres in Forks of James River, part of 200 acres formerly belonging to Robert Armstring, deceased. Delivered: John McClure, June, 1766.
- Page 53 - John McClure, 54 acres, North side James River, at a place called Grassy Botton. June 28, 1766. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 21].
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 572.--16th May, 1764. John ( ) McClure and Mary ( ) to Moses McClure, £250, 325 acres on Northeast Branch of James. Delivered: John McClure, June, 1766.
- Page 574.--16th May, 1764. Same (John ( ) McClure and Mary) to Alexander McClure, £10, 11 acres, 3 rods, on Northeast Branch of James River, beginning at a pysimon. Delivered: Alex. McClure, June, 1778.
Will of John McClure
- McClure, John. Will probate February 1778.
- Names wife, ____ and children: Samuel, Alexander, Mary, Agnes, Jannet, Malcolm, Hannah, Rebeccah, John, Holbert, Moses and Nathaniel.
- [Source: Early Marriages, Wills and some Revolutionary War Records, Botetourt County, Virginia, Compiled by Anne Lowry Worrell, pg. 60].
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - McClure vs. McClure--O.S. 49; N. S. 17. John McClure died testate in Botetourt, leaving Caleb Worley et als., executors, but Caleb died soon after. This is a suit by John McClure, son of Samuel vs. Samuel (father of John), who was son of John, Sr., who died testate. John is eldest of three sons of Saml. Samuel is about to remove out of the State, 23d September 1803.
Information on John McClure
- 9. JOHN3 MCCLURE, SR (HALBERT2, JAMES ANDREW1) was born Abt. 1725 in Raphoe Parish, County Donegal, Ireland, and died 1777 in Botetourt Co, VA. He married (1) MARY MALCOLM Abt. 1746 in Augusta Co, VA. She died Abt. 1756 in Augusta Co, VA. He married (2) MARY ALLEN Abt. 1757 in Augusta County, VA, daughter of MALCOLM ALLEN and MARY CUNNINGHAM. She was born 10 Nov 1741 in Augusta Co, VA, and died 1807 in Scott County, KY.
- Notes for MARY ALLEN:
- Will published 1804 in Scott County, KY. Names children: Hannah Worley, Halbert C. McClure, Nathanial McClure, Moses McClure and son-in-law, Thomas Anderson.
- More About MARY ALLEN:
Will: 1807, Executed by Scott County September Court
- Children of JOHN MCCLURE and MARY MALCOLM are:
- 35. i. Samuel4 McClure, Sr, b. 03 Aug 1748, Augusta Co, VA; d. 29 Dec 1815, Busseron Twp, Knox Co, IN.
- 36. ii. Alexander McClure, b. Abt. 1752, Augusta Co, VA; d. 1801, Mercer Co, KY.
- 37. iii. Janet McClure, b. 1753, Augusta Co, VA; d. Aft. 1818, Scott County, KY.
- iv. Mary McClure, b. Abt. 1754, Augusta Co, VA.
- 38. v. Ann McClure, b. 1756, Augusta County, Virginia; d. 05 Dec 1835, Springhill, Decatur County, IN.
- Children of JOHN MCCLURE and MARY ALLEN are:
- vi. Agnes4 McClure, b. 1758, Augusta County, VA; d. 1795.
- 39. vii. John McClure, Jr., b. 15 Apr 1760, Augusta County, VA; d. 24 May 1856, Habersham County, GA.
- 40. viii. Malcolm McClure, b. 1762, Augusta Co, VA; d. 02 May 1791, Botetourt Co, VA.
- 41. ix. Hannah McClure, b. Abt. 1764, Augusta Co, VA; d. Aft. 21 Apr 1832, KY.
- 42. x. Rebekah McClure, b. 1766, Augusta Co, VA; d. Abt. 1839, Boone County, KY.
- 43. xi. Halbert C McClure, b. 1770, Botetourt Co, VA.
- 44. xii. Nathaniel McClure, b. 04 Feb 1774, Botetourt Co, VA; d. 18 Jan 1848, Boone Co, KY.
- 45. xiii. Moses McClure, Sr., b. 15 Sep 1775, Botetourt Co, VA; d. 19 Mar 1844, Boone County, KY.
- [Source: http://www.bobweis.com/McClureFamilytree1.html]