Facts and Events
John Lewis was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
- Caution: Capt. John Lewis and Martha Love according to some sources were married in 1771, but their first two childen were born BEFORE this date? More research may be necessary on this family.
- Lewis, John. Will probate Aug., 1782.
- Names wife Marthew [sic, s/b Martha], and children: Andrew, Samuel, Charles, Elizabeth and one unborn.
- [Source: Early Marriages, Wills and some Revolutionary War Records, Botetourt County, Virginia, Compiled by Anne Lowry Worrell, pb. 58].
Generation No. 4
11. JOHN4 LEWIS (ANDREW3, JOHN2, ANDREW1, WILLIAMA) was born September 14, 1746, and died in Knoxville Co., Tn (murdered by his slaves). He married MARTHA PATSY BRISCO LOVE 1771.
"Marriages of Some VA Residents", Vol 4, page 149, 154, 155
Lewis, John, b. ca 1751, son of Gen. Andrew and Elizabeth (GIVENS), m. Patsy Love of Alexandria, VA.
Children of JOHN LEWIS and MARTHA LOVE are:
- 18i.SAMUEL5 LEWIS, born 1762 in Botetourt Co., Va; died 1815 in Knox Co., Tn.
- 19ii.Charles Lewis, born Abt. 1764. He married Juliette Isabell Twigg June 24, 1800.
- 20iii.Elizabeth Lewis, born Abt. 1770. She married (1) (2)// Ball. She married (2)? (3)// Marshall.
- 21iv.Andrew Lewis, born Abt. 1772. He married Jane McClanahan Abt. 1794.
- "Marriages of Some VA Residents", Vol 4, page 149, 154, 155 Lewis, Andrew, son of John and Patsy (Love), m. ca 1794, Jane McClenahan, dau. of Col. William of Botetourt Co.,
- 24. Maj. John5 Lewis (Andrew4, John3, Andrew2, William1) birth date unknown. Maj. died ca. 1785.
- He married Patsy Briscoe Love 1771.
- He was baptized September 14, 1746.
- Maj. John Lewis and Patsy Briscoe Love had the following children:
- + 61 i. Charles6 Lewis.
- + 62 ii. Col. Samuel Lewis was born 1762. (Note: birthdate has to be incorrect here)
- + 63 iii. Andrew Lewis was born ca. 1772.
- 64 iv. Elizabeth Lewis was born ca. 1780. Elizabeth died 1829 at 49 years of age. She married three times. She married John Luke. (See John Luke for the continuation of this line.) She married Col. Spencer James Vaux Ball. Col. died 1817. (See Col. Spencer James Vaux Ball for the continuation of this line.) She married Alexander K. Marshall.