m. Bef. 1717
m. ABT 1748
Facts and Events
John Curry was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
Information on John Curry
48. John Curry, born 1728-1736 in Ireland; died 1820 in Wolf Creek Mtn., Monroe Co., VA. He was the son of 96. William Curry and 97. Sarah Young. He married 49. Mary "Polly" Johnson 13 October 1785 in Greenbrier Co., VA.
49. Mary "Polly" Johnson, born 1755-1760. She was the daughter of 98. Mister Johnson.
Children of John Curry and Ann Unknown are:
i. Joseph Curry, born 1748 in Ireland.
ii. Mary Curry, born Abt. 1750 in Ireland; died in Virginia; married Sam Erwin 25 July 1770.
iii. William Curry, born Abt. 1752 in Ireland.
iv. Nicholas Curry, born Abt. 1754 in Ireland; died in Virginia; married Sarah Seawright.
v. James Curry, born Abt. 1756 in Ireland; died 1832 in Monroe Co., VA; married Margaret Francis 28 October 1788 in Augusta Co., VA.
vi. Robert Curry, born Abt. 1759 in Ireland; died in Virginia; married Phoebe Sample 26 November 1787.
vii. John Curry, born Abt. 1761 in Ireland; died in Virginia; married Isabelle Ellison 26 November 1782 in Greenbrier Co., VA.
viii. Sarah Curry, born Abt. 1764 in Augusta Co., VA; married Jesse Harrison.
Children of John Curry and Mary Johnson are:
24 i. Barnabus Curry, born 1789 in Wolf Creek, Monroe Co., VA; died 1869 in Barnabus, Logan Co., WV; married (1) Sarah Taylor 06 February 1810 in Virginia; married (2) Elizabeth Browning 28 February 1831 in Pike, KY; married (3) Susan Elliot Presley Aft. 1868 in Logan Co., VA.
ii. Robert Curry, born 1790 in Greenbrier Co., VA; married Catherine Chambers 31 January 1815 in Monroe Co., VA.
Generation No. 1
1. William Curry. He married Sarah Young.
Children of WILLIAM CURRY and SARAH YOUNG is: 2. i. John Curry, b. 1732, Ematris, Caven County, Ireland; d. 1820, Wolf Mountain, Monroe
2. John Curry (William) was b. 1732, in Ematris, Caven County, Ireland and d. 1820, Wolf Mountain, Monroe Co, Va: Hemarried (1) Ann. He married (2) Mary Johnson October 13, 1785, Greenbrier Co, Va.
Children of JOHN CURRY and ANN are:
i. William Curry b. abt. 1752, Ireland. ii. Nicholas Curry b. abt. 1754, Ireland, d. Va. married Sarah Seawright. iii. James Curry b. abt. 1756, Ireland, d. Monroe Co, Va: m. Margaret Francis. iv. Robert Curry b. abt. 1759, Ireland, d. Va; m. Phoebe Sample, November 26, 1782, Greenbrier Co, Va. v. John Curry b. abt. 1761, Ireland; d. Va; m. Isabelle Ellison, November 26, 1782, Greenbrier Co, Va. vi. Sarah Curry b. abt. 1764, Augusta, Va; m. Jesse Harrison.
Children of JOHN CURRY and MARY JOHNSON are: 3. vii. Barnabus Curry b. 1789, Monroe Co, Va; d. 1869, Logan, WVa.
viii. Robert Curry b. 1790, Greenbrier, Va; m. Catherine Chambers, January 31, 1815, Monroe, Va.
Generation No. 3
3. Barnabus Curry (John, William) was born 1789, in Monroe Co, Va; and died 1869, Logan, WVa. He married (1) Sarah Taylor February 6, 1810, in Wolf Creek Mountain, Monroe Co, Va; daughter of John Taylor and Mary. She died Bet. 1850-1876. He married (2) Elizabeth Browning February 28, 1831. She was born 1811. Daughter of Edmund Browning and Elizabeth Hall. He married (3) Susan Presley.
Children of BARNABUS CURRY and SUSAN PRESLEY ar
i. Mary C Curry ii. Er Curry, b. Abt. 1857 iii. Elijah Curry, b. Abt. 1858 iv. Emily Y Curry b. Abt. 1860 v. George B Curry b. Abt. 1863.
Children of BARNABUS and SARAH TAYLOR are; 4. vi. Mary "Polly" Curry b. 1810 5. vii. John Curry b. 1814; d. Bet. 1815-1902. 6. viii. Robert Curry b. 1815; d. Bet. 1855-1906. 7. ix. Houston Curry b. 1816; d. Bet. 1817-1906. 8. x. Jane Curry b. September 22, 1819.
xi. Aletha Curry b. 1823
9. xii. Elizabeth Curry. 10. xiii. William Curry b. 1824, Logan, WVa; d. 1902. 11. xiv. Eli Curry b. 1827; d. Bet. 1828-1917.
Children of BARNABUS CURRY and ELIZABETH BROWNING are:
xv. Martha Ann Curry.
12. xvi. Calvin Curry, m. Talitha White.
xvii. Sarah 'Sally' Curry, m. Thomas Chafin. xviii. Nancy Curry, m. John White. xix. Harvey Mc Curry, b. 1842
13. xx. Victor Dewitt Curry, b. March 1842, d. February 1939, Logan, WVa. 14. xxi. Mariah Jane Curry, m. Christopher Chafin.
xxii. Sylvester Curry. xxiii. Lorenzo Curry.
15. xxiv. Thomas Curry, m. Mary Chafin.
Generation No. 4
4. Mary "Polly" Curry (Barnabus, John, William) was born 1810. She married Jesse Browning abt. 1845. Son of Edmund Browning and Elizabeth Hall. He was born about 1798, in Washington County Va; and died 1878, in Logan County, WVa.
Children of MARY CURRY and JESSE BROWNING are:
i. Benjamin Harrison Browning, 1845 Logan County, WVa; m. Victoria Workman. ii. Matilda Browning b. 1847, Logan Co, WVa; m. Ferrill Hatfield September 28, 1862, Logan Co, WVa; b. 1836.
16. iii. Sarah D Browning b. 1849, Logan Co, WVa; m. Joseph Hatfield abt.1869.
iv. Mary Caroline Browning b. 1851, Logan Co, WVa; d. October 27, 1890, m. Frank Bragg abt. 1870. v. Huldah Browning b. 1853, Logan Co, WVa; m. Allen Farley, abt. 1871. vi. Martha L Browning b. 1855, Logan Co, WVa.
5. John Curry (Barnabus, John, William) was born 1814, and died Bet. 1815-1904. He married Frances Browning 1833, in Logan, WVa; daughter of Francis Browning and Tabitha Vance. She was born 1815 and died December 28, 1858.
Children of John Curry and Frances Browning are:
i. Aletha Curry, b.1833. ii. Sally Curry, b. 1834; d. 1855; m. Anderson Vance iii. John Jr Curry, b. 1837.
17. iv. Jesse Curry, b. May 16, 1837, Logan, WVa: d. April 12, 1899, WVa.
v. Tabitha Curry, b. 1839. vi. Mary Curry, b. 1841, Logan, WVa; m. Paris Browning; b. 1840, Logan, WVa
18. vii. Luke Curry, b. 1843, Logan, WVa.
viii. Emmariah Curry, b. 1847. ix. Amy Curry, b. 1849; m. William B. Vance.
x. Harly Curry b. 1852. xi. Margaret Curry, b. May 21, 1853; d. 1873; m. William West. xii. Rebecca Curry, b. October 1, 1855.
19. xiii. John Wesley Jr Curry b. 1856; m. Sarah A. b. Abt. 1856.
xiv. Francis Marion Curry b. 1859. xv. Caroline Curry, b. 1862.
6. Robert Curry (Barnabus, John, William) was born 1815, and died Bet. 1855-1906. He married Nancy McNeely Bet. 1837-1858. She was born Bet. 1810-1832, and died Bet. 1855-1919.
Children of ROBERT CURRY and NANCY McNEELY are:
i. Sarah Jane Curry b. Abt. 1837; m. Samuel Canterbury, 1859 ii. Nancy Ann Curry b. Abt. 1839, Lawrence, Ky; m. Arthur B Elkins, 1854.
20. iii. Andrew Irwin Curry b. Abt. 1840.
iv. Olivia Curry b. Abt. 1841.
21. v. Benjamin Curry b. Abt. 1843, Logan, WVa; m. Anna B Stone; b. Abt. 1842.
vi. Margaret Curry b. Abt. 1845; m. Moses Miller. vii. Rebecca Curry b. Abt. 1846. viii. Mary Ann Curry b. Abt. 1850.
22. ix. Joseph Olley Curry b. April 1852; d. March 13, 1921, Lincoln Co, WVa; m. Rosalie L
Walker, 1872; b. May 1852, Boone Co, Va; d. October 13, 1929, Lincoln Co, WVa. x. Wesley Curry b. 1856. xi. Robert E Curry b. May 1856, Logan, WVa. xii. Alice Curry b. Abt. 1858.
7. Huston Curry (Barnabus, John, William) was born 1816, and died Bet. 1817-1906. He married Hannah Mayhon. She was born 1826.
Children of HUSTON CURRY and HANNAH MAYHON ar
i. Harvey Curry, m. Sarah Meadows, October 15, 1881 ii. Jane Curry, b.1843. iii. Sarah Curry, b. 1845. iv. James D Curry, b.1847. v. Nancy Curry, b. Abt. 1850; m. Jackson Robinson; b. 1857. vi. Celia Curry, b. 1850; m. John Allen. vii. Phoebe Curry, b. Abt. 1852. viii. Calvin Curry, b. Abt. 1854. ix. Rhoda Curry, b. Abt. 1857. x. Martha Curry, b. Abt. 1866; m. Albert Meadows, October 27, 1902. xi. Lafayette Curry, b. Abt. 1868; m. Levicia Smith.
8. Jane Curry (Barnabus, John, William) was born September 22, 1819. She married Edmund Browning September 22, 1839 in Oilville, Logan, WVa; son of Edmund Browningand Elizabeth Hall. He was born 1816, in Washington County, Va; and died January 11, 1906 in Oilville, Logan, WVa.
Children of Jane Curry and Edmund Browning are: 23. i. Chloe Browning, b. April 24, 1840 in Oilville, Logan, WVa; m. Wesley K T Browning
Abt. 1862, Logan, WVa; b. Abt. 1840, Logan, WVa. ii. Martha Browning, January 27, 1842, Oilville, Logan, WVa; m. C M Baker, Abt. 1862.
24. iii. George Francis M Browning, b. January 28, 1844; Oilville, Logan, WVa; d. April, 1930. 25. iv. Lloyd Shannon Browning, b. January 14, 1846. Oilville, Logan, WVa.
v. Burwell Browning, b. Abt. 1848.
26. vi. John Wilburn Browning, b. May 28, 1848, Oilville, Logan, WVa.
vii. Mary Polly Browning, b. March 2, 1850, Oilville, Logan, Wva; m. Melvin Farley.
27. viii. Samuel Scott Browing, December 5, 1854, Oilville, Logan, WVa. 28. ix. Loudon Hazer Browning, March 21, 1858, Oilville, Logan, WVa; 29. x. Lucinda Browning, b. October 20, 1861, Oilville, Logan, Wva. 30. xi. Perlina Browning, b. June 12, 1865, Oilville, Logan, WVa.
Children of ELIZABETH CURRY and JAMES MAHON are:
i. William Mahon, b. 1837. ii. Barney Mahon, b. 1838. iii. Parthena Mahon, b. 1841. iv. Anthony P Mahon, b. 1843. v. Merman Mahon, b. 1849. vi. Pliant Mahon. vii. Pleasant J Mahon. viii. Doctor D Mahon, b. 1852.
41. ix. Samuel E Mahon, b. 1854.
x. Sally Mahon, b. 1857.
10. William Curry (Barnabus, John, William) was born 1824 in Logan, Wva and died 1902. He married (1) Malvina McCoy, daughter of Hiram McCoy and Chloe Sansom. She was born 1826 and died June 24, 1855, in Logan, WVa. He married (2) Sarah Varney March 25, 1856, daughter of Andrew Varney and Sally Stafford.
Children of WILLIAM CURRY and MALVINA McCOY are: 32. i. George T Curry, b. 1846.
ii. Chloe Curry, b. 1848; m. Bill Little
33. iii. James Monteville Curry, b. 1851
iv. Julia Ann Curry, b. March 15, 1854.
Children of WILLIAM CURRY SARAH VARNEY are:
v. Calvin Curry, b. March 15, 1857; m. (1) Nancy Jane Duty; b. 1863; m. (2) Matilda Farley; b. January 28, 1861; m. (3) Lina J Francisco, June 13, 1902; b. April 9, 1873. vi. Samuel Franklin Curry, b. Abt. 1859; d. November 1881; m. Polly Farley; b. December 26, 1852; d. March 2, 1953. vii. Andrew Leander Curry, b. 1863; m. Mary V Perry, August 7, 1884. viii. John Murry Curry, b. Abt. 1865. ix. Harvey Curry, b. Abt. 1868; m. (1) Louisa Vanatter; m. (2) Lucinda Farley; b. 1875.
34. x. Sheridan Phillip Curry, b. January 1870.
xi. Eli Curry, b. Abt. 1872.
35. xii. Joseph Curry, b. August 25, 1874; d. Elk Creek, Mingo, WVa.
11. Eli Curry (Barnabus, John, William) was born 1827, and died Bet. 1828-1917. He married Lucinda Farley in Logan County, WVa, daughter of Thomas Farley. She was born 1827.
Children of ELI CURRY and LUCINDA FARLEY are:
i. James Curry, b. 1847, Logan, WVa. ii. Jane Y Curry, b. 1849, Logan, WVa iii. Litha Curry, b. 1851, Logan, Wva iv. Elizabeth Curry, b. 1853, Logan, WVa v. Martha Curry, b. September 1, 1855, Pigeon Creek, Logan, WVa; m. Alexander Hunt; b. 1855; d. 1911. vi. Eli Curry, b. 1858, Logan, WVa; m. Nancy Jane Farley, August 24, 1876; b. 1861.
12. Calvin Lewis Curry (Barnabus, John, William) was born 1834 in Logan, WVa.. He married Telitha White, March 22, 1856, daughter of John White and Elizabeth Rutherford. She was born Abt. 1834.
Children of CALVIN CURRY and TELITHA WHITE are:
i. John Floyd Curry, b. Abt. 1860. ii. Rebecca F. Curry, b. Abt. 1862. iii. Minerva Curry, b. Abt. 1864; m. David Thomas Browning. iv. James Lee Curry, b. Abt. 1867. v. Betty A. Curry, b. Abt. 1870. vi. William Curry, b. Abt. 1873. vii. Unknown Curry, b. Abt. 1875. viii. Charles Curry, b. Abt. 1877.
13. Victor Dewitt Curry (Barnabus, John, William) was born March 1842 in Logan WVa, and died February 1939 in Logan, WVa. He married Elizabeth Chafin.
Notes for Victor Dewitt Curry: Logan Banner, Saturday, February 18, 1939 "Uncle Victor Curry", 91, Pioneer Citizen Is Dead
V. D. "Uncle Victor" Curry is dead.
The aged Cow Creek resident, who was one of Logan's counties fast dwindling numbers of pioneers, passed away at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Bill Chambers, on Cow Creek, where "Uncle Victor" spent most of his life.
"Uncle Victor" was 91 years old at the time of his death.
Known and respected by thousands of Logan countians, the deceased will be greatly missed.
"Uncle Victor" is survived by nine children. They are Pleas Curry, Mrs. Lorenzo Browning, Mrs. Comfort Hall, Mrs. Comfort Gillam, Mrs. L. T. Robinson, Mrs. Bill Chambers, and John B. Curry, all of Barnabus. Louis Curry of Amherstdale, and Harley Curry of Delbarton.
The deceased was the son of Barnabus and Elizabeth Curry. The town of Barnabus was named after his father.
Surviving are 46 grandchildren, 78 great-grandchildren and one great-great-grandchild.
Funeral service will be held at the home of Mrs. Bill Chambers, above Barnabus, on Cow Creek, at 10:30 tomorrow morning. The J. Green McNeely will officiate. Burial in the family cemetery at Laurel Hill. at the head of Cow Creek will follow. The Harris Funeral Home is in charge.
Children of VICTOR CURRY and ELIZABETH CHAFIN are:
i. Comfort Curry. ii. Female Curry. iii. Harley Curry. iv. John B. Curry. v. Nancy Curry. vi. Parlee Curry. vii. Pleasant Curry. viii. Sally Curry.
36. ix. Thomas E. Curry, b. April 28, 1877, d. July 4, 1919. 37. x. Lewis Curry, b. February 5, 1882, Omar, WVa; d. February 12, 1970, Huntington, Cabell
14. Mariah Jane Curry (Barnabus, John, William) was born 1844 in Logan, WVa. She married Christopher Chafin, son of Pleasant Chafin and Mary Chapman. He was born 1839 in Logan, WVa.
Children of MARIAH CURRY and CHRISTOPHER CHAFIN are:
i. John B. Chafin, b. Abt. 1863, Logan, WVa; m. Margaret Robinson, January 16, 1884, Logan County, WVa; b. Abt. 1867, Logan, WVa. ii. Polly Chafin, b. 1867, Logan, WVa; m. William Duty, May 2, 1884, Logan, WVa; b. Abt. 1864, Logan WVa. iii. Eliza Chafin, b. 1865, Logan, WVa. iv. Elizabeth Chafin, b. Abt. 1867; m. George Millard, March 19, 1884, Logan, WVa; b. March 25, 1860. v. Sarah Chafin, b. March 31, 1872, Logan, WVa.
38. vi. Pleasant Chafin, b. December 30, 1875, Logan, WVa.
vii. Mary Chafin, b. Abt. 1877. viii. Floyd Chafin, b. Abt. 1879.
15. Thomas Curry (Barnabus, John, William). He married Mary.
Children of THOMAS CURRY and MARY is:
i. Harley Thomas Curry, b. 1892.