Facts and Events
John Curry was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 8.--4th September, 1767. William Minter, of Craven County, South Carolina, to John Curry, £75, 345 acres on South Branch of Linvel's Creek, line of Abraham Hills, being tract conveyed to said Minter from Samuel Harrison and Mary, 19th October, 1762. Teste: Francis, Edward and Samuel Erwin, Joseph Curry, William Curry. Robert Dunwody. Delivered to James Curry, 23d December, 1783.
Processioning List of 1767/68
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Vol. 2 - *Vol. 2 p.456 - Page 444.--1767-1768: Processioned by Robt. Cravens and Jeremiah Harrison: For Daniel Smith, for Lennard Herren, for Samuel Sample, for Thomas Harrison, for John Harrison, for Wm. Snaddone, for John McClure, for Saml. Briggs, for John McGill, for John Fowler, for Saml. Hemphill, for Jeremiah Harrison, for William Gregg, for Pat. Guin, for Jno. Cravens, for Robt. Cravens, for Daniel Love, for Daniel Harrison, for John Brown, for David Ralston, for John Hinton, for Vaulintine Saveyer, for Francis Hughes, for Alex. Harrison, for James Fowler, for Edward Shanklin, for Jennett McDonald, for Alex. Miller, for Jno. Hardman, for Henry Ewen (Erven), for William Ervin, for Andw. Ervin, for Walter Crow, for Michael Waren, for John Curry.
Records in Augusta County, VA
- Page 79.--18th October, 1762. Samuel Harrison and Mary ( ), of4 Craven County, South Carolina, to Wiliam Minter, millwright, £125, 245 acres on South Branch of Linvel's Creek, Abraham Hill's line. Teste: Daniel Smith. Daniel Pouder, John ( ) Eubanks, Gasper ( ) Fought. Delivered: John Curry, September, 1767.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER, 1791. - James Rutledge and Ellenor, his wife, vs. John Curry.--Slander, 21st October, 1788. Andrew Erwin's lie bill. Rutledge's wife was Eleanor Ralston.
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Bond: 1792--February __, John Erwin and Rebecca Curry, daughter of James Curry (consent); witnesses, Polly Curry, John Curry; surety, John Curry.
- Vol. 2 - TO SEPTEMBER, 1803. - McWilliams vs. Hollingshead--Certificate that patent issued to Wm. Skillern for 343 acres on draft of Linville's Creek, 30th August, 1743. Patent by Dinwiddie to Alexr. Herring, 10th September, 1755, 200 acres on So. Br. Linville's Creek, corner Saml. Harrison. Patent by Jefferson, 1st March, 1781, to Walter Crow, 216 acres by survey dated 15th April, 1780, in Rockingham on a draft of Linville's Creek, where he now lives, corner Leonard Herring, Jerry Raggins line. Ditto, February, 1781, to Leonard Herrin, 88 acres on drafts of So. Br. of Linville's Creek. Ditto Benj. Harrison, 3d April, 1784, to Jno. Currey, 350 acres by survey, 1771, in Augusta on Linville's Creek; 240 acres thereof was patented to Saml. Harrison, 16th August, 1756, and conveyed by him to Wm. Mintor, 19th October, 1762, and by Mintor to Jno. Currey by deed recorded in Amherst, Walter Crow's land. Original deed, 27th May, 1799, Abraham Peery and Joseph Hall, of Rockingham, to Gordon McWilliams' grantors, undivided share in 137-1/2 acres in Rockingham, patented to grantors and grantee, jointly, 21st May, 1799. Recorded Rockingham, July Court, 1802. Will of Walter Crow, dated 6th August, 1789, recorded in Rockingham, 4th September, 1789, and 26th October, 1789. Deposition Jeremiah Harrison at Woodford Courthouse, 14th July, 1801; was a processioner 27 or 28 years in Augusta; taken before Jno. Obannon, Henry Watkins, E. Wooldridge. Patent by Gooch, 30th August, 1743, to Wm. Skillern, 343 acres on Linvill's Creek on both sides the Irish Road, Daniel Harrison's path. Letter from James Crow, Washington County, Va., 3d August, 1802, acknowledges request to get the deposition of Jeremiah Ragin; he knew Ragin 35 years ago; Ragin and James' father lived near neighbors. Deposition of Nicholas Curry, Fayette County, Ky., 19th November, 1800; says his father settled in Augusta in the fall of 1767. [Note: Nicholas Curry appears to be the son of this John Curry, agrees with same date that John Curry acquired land in 1767]
Information on John Curry
48. John Curry, born 1728-1736 in Ireland; died 1820 in Wolf Creek Mtn., Monroe Co., VA. He was the son of 96. William Curry and 97. Sarah Young. He married 49. Mary "Polly" Johnson 13 October 1785 in Greenbrier Co., VA.
49. Mary "Polly" Johnson, born 1755-1760. She was the daughter of 98. Mister Johnson.
Children of John Curry and Ann Unknown are:
- . Joseph Curry, born 1748 in Ireland.
- ii. Mary Curry, born Abt. 1750 in Ireland; died in Virginia; married Sam Erwin 25 July 1770.
- iii. William Curry, born Abt. 1752 in Ireland.
- iv. Nicholas Curry, born Abt. 1754 in Ireland; died in Virginia; married Sarah Seawright.
- v. James Curry, born Abt. 1756 in Ireland; died 1832 in Monroe Co., VA; married Margaret Francis 28 October 1788 in Augusta Co., VA.
- vi. Robert Curry, born Abt. 1759 in Ireland; died in Virginia; married Phoebe Sample 26 November 1787.
- vii. John Curry, born Abt. 1761 in Ireland; died in Virginia; married Isabelle Ellison 26 November 1782 in Greenbrier Co., VA.
- viii. Sarah Curry, born Abt. 1764 in Augusta Co., VA; married Jesse Harrison.
Children of John Curry and Mary Johnson are:
- 24 i. Barnabus Curry, born 1789 in Wolf Creek, Monroe Co., VA; died 1869 in Barnabus, Logan Co., WV; married (1) Sarah Taylor 06 February 1810 in Virginia; married (2) Elizabeth Browning 28 February 1831 in Pike, KY; married (3) Susan Elliot Presley Aft. 1868 in Logan Co., VA.
- ii. Robert Curry, born 1790 in Greenbrier Co., VA; married Catherine Chambers 31 January 1815 in Monroe Co., VA.
My Curry Line
Generation No. 1
1. William Curry. He married Sarah Young.
Children of WILLIAM CURRY and SARAH YOUNG is:
- 2. i. John Curry, b. 1732, Ematris, Caven County, Ireland; d. 1820, Wolf Mountain, Monroe Co, Va.
Generation No. 2
- 2. John Curry (William) was b. 1732, in Ematris, Caven County, Ireland and d. 1820, Wolf Mountain, Monroe Co, Va: Hemarried (1) Ann. He married (2) Mary Johnson October 13, 1785, Greenbrier Co, Va.
Children of JOHN CURRY and ANN are:
- i. William Curry b. abt. 1752, Ireland.
- ii. Nicholas Curry b. abt. 1754, Ireland, d. Va. married Sarah Seawright.
- iii. James Curry b. abt. 1756, Ireland, d. Monroe Co, Va: m. Margaret Francis.
- iv. Robert Curry b. abt. 1759, Ireland, d. Va; m. Phoebe Sample, November 26, 1782, Greenbrier Co, Va.
- v. John Curry b. abt. 1761, Ireland; d. Va; m. Isabelle Ellison, November 26, 1782, Greenbrier Co, Va.
- vi. Sarah Curry b. abt. 1764, Augusta, Va; m. Jesse Harrison.
Children of JOHN CURRY and MARY JOHNSON are:
- 3. vii. Barnabus Curry b. 1789, Monroe Co, Va; d. 1869, Logan, WVa.
- viii. Robert Curry b. 1790, Greenbrier, Va; m. Catherine Chambers, January 31, 1815, Monroe, Va.
Generation No. 3
3. Barnabus Curry (John, William) was born 1789, in Monroe Co, Va; and died 1869, Logan, WVa. He married (1) Sarah Taylor February 6, 1810, in Wolf Creek Mountain, Monroe Co, Va; daughter of John Taylor and Mary. She died Bet. 1850-1876. He married (2) Elizabeth Browning February 28, 1831. She was born 1811. Daughter of Edmund Browning and Elizabeth Hall. He married (3) Susan Presley.
Children of BARNABUS CURRY and SUSAN PRESLEY are
- i. Mary C Curry
- ii. Er Curry, b. Abt. 1857
- iii. Elijah Curry, b. Abt. 1858
- iv. Emily Y Curry b. Abt. 1860
- v. George B Curry b. Abt. 1863.
Children of BARNABUS and SARAH TAYLOR are;
- 4. vi. Mary "Polly" Curry b. 1810
- 5. vii. John Curry b. 1814; d. Bet. 1815-1902.
- 6. viii. Robert Curry b. 1815; d. Bet. 1855-1906.
- 7. ix. Houston Curry b. 1816; d. Bet. 1817-1906.
- 8. x. Jane Curry b. September 22, 1819.
- xi. Aletha Curry b. 1823
- 9. xii. Elizabeth Curry.
- 10. xiii. William Curry b. 1824, Logan, WVa; d. 1902.
- 11. xiv. Eli Curry b. 1827; d. Bet. 1828-1917.
Children of BARNABUS CURRY and ELIZABETH BROWNING are:
- xv. Martha Ann Curry.
- 12. xvi. Calvin Curry, m. Talitha White.
- xvii. Sarah 'Sally' Curry, m. Thomas Chafin.
- xviii. Nancy Curry, m. John White.
- xix. Harvey Mc Curry, b. 1842
- 13. xx. Victor Dewitt Curry, b. March 1842, d. February 1939, Logan, WVa.
- 14. xxi. Mariah Jane Curry, m. Christopher Chafin.
- xxii. Sylvester Curry.
- xxiii. Lorenzo Curry.
- 15. xxiv. Thomas Curry, m. Mary Chafin.
- Vol. 2, Page 456, in Chalkley, Lyman. Chronicles of the Scotch-Irish settlement in Virginia: Extracted from the Original Court Records of Augusta County, 1745-1800. (Rosslyn, Virginia: The Commonwealth Printing Company, 1912-1913 in Three Volumes).
CHRONICLES OF THE Scotch-Irish Settlement IN VIRGINIA EXTRACTED FROM THE ORIGINAL COURT RECORDS OF AUGUSTA COUNTY 1745-1800
AUGUSTA PARISH VESTRY BOOK.