Facts and Events
John Craig was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Baptism at Tinkling Spring
John Craig is listed in the Tinkling Spring List of Baptisms in Augusta County, Virginia on 6 April 1746.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 22, 1768. - (440) Constable: John Craig (Robert's son), vice John Frazier.
- Vol. 1 - MAY, 1793 (A to L). - Ann and Rebecca Craig, daughters of Robert Craig, vs. John and Robert Craig.--Robert, the father, died June, 1788. Writ, 30th October, 1790. Family quarrel.
Records in Buncombe County, NC
- April Session 1795: A deed from John Craig to Joseph Sorrells for one lot in Morristown was acknwledged and ordered to be registered. Buncombe County Court Minutes
- July Session 1795: State vs. Jas. Davidson: Indt.P.Lar. Jury empnad. & sworn to wit: Jos. Austin, James McMahan, Ben. Hawkins, James Dunsmore, John Gooch, Robert Harris, Geo. Ramsey, Jos. Gash, John Craig, James Rutherford, James Clemons, Nathan Smith.
- July Session 1795: State vs. Ormond Morgan: Indt. Trespass. Jury empand. & Sworn to wit: Joseph Henry, Jos. Austin, Jas. McMahan, Ben Hawkins, James Dunsmore, John Gooch, Geo. Ramsey, Jos. Gash, John Craig, Saml. Davidson, Henry McKennie, Wm. Whitson. Buncombe County Court Minutes
- United States. 1800 U.S. Census Population Schedule.
Name: John Craig
Home in 1800 (City, County, State): Morgan, Buncombe, North Carolina
Free White Persons - Males - Under 10: 1
Free White Persons - Males - 45 and over: 2 [b. 1755 or before]
Free White Persons - Females - Under 10: 3
Free White Persons - Females - 10 thru 15: 1
Free White Persons - Females - 26 thru 44: 1 [b. 1756-1774]
Number of Household Members Under 16: 5
Number of Household Members Over 25: 3
Number of Household Members: 8