Facts and Events
John Cowan was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
- Note: John Cowan has been confused by some researchers with John Cowan, son of Samuel Cowan (d. 1776) and his wife Ann Walker. Additional research is needed to determine this John Cowan's parentage.
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - Rockbridge marriages: 1796 -- May 10th, John Cowan and Margaret Weir.
Will of John Cowan
- In the name of God, Amen. I, John Cowan, of Montgomery county of the State of Indiana, considering the frailty of my body and the uncertainty of this mortal life, and being of sound mind to make this my last will and testament, in the manner & form following, that is to say, I give & bequeath to my beloved wife Anna all of my personal property to have the use of while she lives single: after my death I also give & bequeath to my two sons, James W. Cowan and John M. Cowan, my land with all the apurtenances [sic] thereon & belonging; situate in Montgomery county & state above written to belong to them and their heirs forever, and at the death of either of them, if he died having no issue, then his part to descend to the other, and also that my beloved wife Anny is to have her part support off the plantation while she does live single, after my death, and at ther death all my personal property to decend [sic] to my two sons above named, each to possess an equal part;
- I also give and bequeath to my son Samuel W. Cowan, ten dollars to be paid to him in twelve months after my death;
- I also give & bequeath to my daughter Sally Maxwell ten dollars to be paid to her in twelve months after my death.
- I hereby appoint James Montgomery of Parke county, and state aforesaid executor of this my last will and testament.
- In witness whereof I do here unto set my hand and seal this first day of November, in the year of our Lord 1828.
- (Signed) John Cowan
- Signed, sealed, and delivered by the above named John Cowan to be his last will and testament in the presence of us who have hereunto subscribed our names as witnesses in the presence of the testator.
- Michael Montgomery
- James Montgomery
- John Cowan's will was filed for probate on 13 May 1833, in Montgomery County, Indiana.
Help fund new features!