Facts and Events
John Abney was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
- Old Augusta Census-A
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 97.--8th July, 1772. John Frogg and Agatha to John Abney, £300, lots 11. No. 16 and another joining No. 11; also 120 acres in Beverley Manor. Delivered: John Abney. May Court, 1774.
- Page 86.--14th June, 1788. John Abney's will--To wife, Isabella; to son. William; to the rest of the children; to son, John; son William to carry on the Hatting Trade. Executrix, Isabella. Teste: Wm. Chambers, Alex. Humphreys. Proved, 16th September. 1788, by the witnesses. Isabella qualifies.
- Page 120.--14th November, 1788. John Abney's estate appraised--50 blacks, &c.
- Vol. 1 - JUNE 16, 1789. - (95) Isabella Abney, executrix of John Abney, deceased, who was one of the executors of John McDonagh, deceased.
- Page 333.- (abt. 1791)-John McDonough's estate in account with estate of John Abney, executor, deceased.
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - MARRIAGE LICENSE IN AUGUSTA COUNTY - 1769, July 10, John Abney.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 22, 1769. - (61) Called Court on James Denniston, for breaking into shop of John Abney and stealing silver coin--39 lashes.
- Page 2.--21st October, 1772. Robert, John and William Christian to Gilbert Christian. Teste: William Anderson, Jacob Van Lear, John Abney. Delivered: Wm. Anderson, 9th April, 1774.
- Page 227.--26th February, 1774. James Hartgrove's estate appraised by John Griffen, Thos. Smith, John Abney.
- Page 393.--13th December, 1774. Thomas Dunbarr's estate appraised by James Hill, Valentine Cloninger, John Abney.
- Page 486.--17th August, 1776. Doctor William McClenachan's estate appraised by Thomas Smith. John Abney, Alex. Gibson. Above valued by Doctor John Jackson 20th February, 1776.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 20, 1776. - (132) John Abney appointed Constable.
- Vol. 1 - DECEMBER 17, 1776. - (136) John Abner allowed his account as Captain of the Patrollers of Staunton.
- Vol. 1 - DECEMBER 17, 1776 - (138) County levy. To John Abner, as above, and then to the following (no doubt Abner's men), viz: John Parell, Henry Hall, William Smith, John Griffin, John Crosswhite, Alexr. McKensey, James Dunn, Thomas Bell, William Evans, Israel Crisby, John Meredith, Robert Shall, Jacob Peck, Robert Gamble, John McDonough, Francis Hall, James Brush, Owen Owens, James Thomas.
- Vol. 1 - SEPTEMBER 17, 1777 - (230) Jacob Peck, vice John Abney--Constable.
- Vol. 2 - List of Tithables for the Town of Staunton to be collected at $4 each to be applied to the Repair of Streets, 1779-1780: John Abney. (listed among many others).
- Page 253.--16th August, 1782. William Burk's estate appraised by John Abney, Peter Hanger, Thos. Scott.
- Page 300.--29th April, 1783. Jonathan Danbarr's estate appraised by Thos. Smith, John Abney, Wm. Blear.
- Page 300.--1st April, 1783. John McDonough's will (sadler)--Executors to sell house and lotts in Staunton and plantation purchased of Capt. Thos. Smith; to Edward Hart McDonough, infant under 14, half of plantation in Albemarle whereon testator formerly lived (dwelt); to Dianah McDonough, under 18; to Edward Simpson, of Fredericksburg; Edward Hart McDonough at 14 to be bound to a sadler, tanner or hatter. Executors, Thos. Smith, John Abney, Richard Madison. Teste: Francis Mara, Robt. Cochran, Wm. Gilham. Proved, 20th May, 1783, by Cochran and Mora. Executors qualify.
- Vol. 1 - MAY, 1783 (B). - John Abney vs. John Campbell and John Henderson.--Petition, 29th July, 1783. Henderson dead.
- Page 380.--29th July, 1783. Jacob Van Lear's will--To wife, Margaret; to son, Jacob, all lands; to son, John, £15; to daughter, Gartry Robinson, 50 shillings; to daughter, Isabel Abney, 50 shillings. Executors, Jacob Van Lear and John Christian. Teste: Patrick and John Christian. Proved, 18th November, 1783, by the witnesses. Jacob qualifies. (Note: Jacob Van Lear was the father-in-law of John Abney).
- Page 54.--Jno. McDonough's estate in account with Jno. Abney, continued from 18th July, 1786--Paid Braxton Eastham; 1787, received from Geo. Huddle for rent; Geo. Woland, ditto.
- Page 361.--4th October, 1786. Deed similar to p. 352, supra (William Long, of Greenbrier, by John Atkinson, his attorney, to Alexander St. Clair.), to Thomas Thackum, of Henrico County, except 45 acres made over by William to his mother for her relinquisment of dower. Lease for 66 years. Teste: William McCay, Abraham Grover, William Chambers, William Blear, John Abney, Peter Heiskell.
- Vol. 1 - MAY 21, 1790. - (261) Death of John Abney and Thomas Smith, executors of John McDonagh abates suit.
- Vol. 2 - MARRIAGE BOND IN AUGUSTA COUNTY - 1792--March 29, Phillip North and Margaret Abney (spinster), daughter of John Abney, deceased; surety, David Parry.
- Vol. 2 - MARRRIAGE BOND IN AUGUSTA COUNTY - 1797--July 4, Robert McClenachan and Jno. McDowell, surety. Robert McClenachan and Sally Abney, daugliter of John Abney, deceased, Isabella Abney (consent). Teste: Wm. Abney.
- Vol. 2 - MARRIAGE BOND IN AUGUSTA COUNTY - 1798--July 17, John Fackler and Robert McClenachan, surety. John Fackler and Nancy Abney, daughter of John Abney, deceased.
- Vol. 2 - MARRIAGE BOND IN AUGUSTA COUNTY - 1798--September 18, Peter Hog and Robt. McClenachan, surety. Peter Hog and Patsy Abney, daughter of John Abney, deceased, Isabella Abney (consent). Teste: James Hog.
- Vol. 2 - Patrick vs. Abney--O. S. 300; N. S. 107--Bill, 3d April, 1815. In _____, 1788, John Abney of Staunton died, testate (he was a hatter), leaving wife Isabella and 7 children, viz: William; Margaret, who married Philip North, now deceased; John; Nancy, who married John Hicklin, now deceased; Sarah, who married Robert McClenachan; Patsey, who married Peter Hogg, and Polly. John Abney lives in Kentucky. Hog and wife live in Mason County. John Gunn was a hatter in Staunton in 1789. Jacob Peck was a butcher. William Abney was born 8th August and was in 23d year when married. He was 16 at father's death. Mrs. Robertson was William's aunt. William went to Pittsburg in 1794 against the insurgents. William went to Parson Chambers' school.
- ID: I013002
- Name: John ABNEY
- Sex: M
- Birth: 1745 in Albemarle County, Virginia
- Death: 1788 in Augusta County, Virginia
- Father: Abner ABNEY b: 1706 in Albemarle County, Virginia
- Mother: Ann KEY
- Marriage 1 Isabella VAN LEAR b: ABT 1751 in Augusta County, Virginia
- Married: 10 JUL 1769 in Augusta County, Virginia
- Martha "Patsy" ABNEY b: 1780 in Augusta County, Virginia
Help fund new features!