m. 25 APR 1692
m. Aug 1730
Facts and Events
John Justus Henkel was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land in Virginia:
Information on John Justis Henkel
Came to Philadelphia PA in 1717 with parents. Shortly after marrying he moved to Berks Co PA. 1750 sold all holdings and moved to Rowan Co NC. After considerable Indian problems moved to Augusta Co VA 1760. He was a captain in North Fork Military Company, and Commander of Fort Henkle, built original stockade and buildings for his family's protection, it later became center of Fort Henkle, an outpost in the Revolutionary War.
Came to North Fork Area, just above Harper's mill in 1761 from N.C.
LDS AGI gives death as 17 Aug 1778 in Germany Valley, Pendleton County, West Virginia (near Riverton). Also known as Jost or Yost.
From Bob Hinkle (rchinkle@@casinternet.net): In 1750 John Justus (Jost) Henckel sold his land in Pennsylvania and with some others moved to Davidson County, N. C., and settled on Dutchman's Creek near the "Forks of Yadin River". After outbreaks of depredations by the Indians in 1758, the Henckel and Teter families left for settlement of the area now known as Germany Valley, now Pendleton County, West Virginia in 1760.
On 3 April 1761 Jost Henckel purchased 220 acres of land, and the first improvement in Germany Valley was the construction of a blockhouse and a stockade large enough to house his sons, sons-in-law and other settlers and livestock in the settlement. The blockhouse and stockade was known as Hinkle's Fort, which is marked by a granite stone with an Indian arrowhead mounted on top. It has been claimed Hinkle's Fort was the only outpost of the Revolutionary War in Pendleton County, West Virginia recognized by the Colonial Government. The other forts on Upper Tract and Seybert were destroyed in the Indian Wars prior to the Revolution. Fort Seybert was later rebuilt. The service of John Justus Henckel as commander of Hinkle's Fort and in furnishing supplies to the Colonial forces has been recognized officially by the Sons and Daughters of the American Revolution and other patriotic orders as qualification for membership. Commander John Justus Henckel was succeeded in 1778 by his son, Abraham Henckel, Sr., and the North Fork Military Company, which had fought in the Revolutionary War, was organized by the early settlers living in the vicinity around the Fort.