Facts and Events
James Weir was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Will of James Weir
- In the name of God amen November ninth Day one thousand seven hundred & ninety seven I James Weir of Rockbridge County & state of Virginia being in perfect mind & memory & calling to mind the mortally of my body and that it is appointed for all men once to die do make & ordain this my last will & testament and as touching such worldly estate wherewith it has pleased God to bless me in this life I give devise & dispose of the same in the manner & form following Viz.
- In the first place I give and bequeath to Mary Weir my beloved wife all my stock of cattle & household furniture to be at her disposal I likewise give to Mary Weir my wife, Robert Weir & James Weir, my sons each of them an eaqual part of the land I now live on to them and their theirs forever I likewise give to my Daughter Ketron Weir six pounds & to my Daughter Rosanah Weir Eight pounds to be paid of my estate, to Ketron when demanded to Rosanah when my Executors thinks fit
- In the last place I constitute make & ordain Mary Weir my wife and Robert Tedford my only and sole executors of this my last will & Testament and do forever disclaim revoke & disanul all former wills and Testaments and do ratify and confirm this as my last will & testament, and in Witness thereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal the day & year above written.
- Signed, Sealed published
- (signed) James Weir (seal)
- Pronounced and declared in presence of these Witnesses
- Robert McCampbell
- John McCampbell
- At a Court held for the County of Rockbridge April 7th 1801
- This writing purporting the last will and testament of James Weir Deceased was produced in Court and proved by the oaths of The subscribing witnesses and ordered to be Recorded
- Aw. Reid clerk
- Vol. 1 - DECEMBER 16, 1777. - (255) Mary Warr, wife of James Warr, and their four children, allowed £25. James enlisted for three years. [Chalkley's Augusta County Records, Vol. 3].
- 1783 Rockbridge Co, VA Tax List
- James Weir 1 white male over 21, 0 slaves, 3 horses, 12 cattle