Facts and Events
James Todd was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 315.--15th May, 1756. James Gilmor, yeoman, and Marthow to James Todd, yeoman, £77, 185 acres upon Buffelo Creek, part of James Gilmor's tract. Delivered, Francis McBride, August, 1769.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 528.--15th August, 1761. James Todd to Joseph McBride, £5, 185 acres on Buffelo Creek. It is agreed between the parties that Joseph shall not enter into possession during natural life of said James and his wife Susanna Todd, but James and Susanna to have full possession during their natural lives, and after their decease, then Joseph to enter.
- Page 129.--15th August, 1768. James Todd, of Forks of James River, to Joseph McBride, of the Forks, £80, 185 acres on Buffalo Creek in Forks of James. Teste: William McBride, Wm. McKee.
Estate Records of James Todd
- Page 113.--(undated, appears to be abt. 1799) James Todd's estate in account with George Todd, administrator--Paid James Todd, Jr., for attending Pendleton Court; paid Nathan Todd, ditto.
- 23d December, 1799--George Todd, administrator of James Todd.
Processioning Lists of 1760 & 1765
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Page 280.--1760: Processioned by Joshua Mathews and John Armstrong, in Capt. John Maxwell's Company: For Michael Finney, for John Berryford, for Pat Porter, for Wm. Haldman, for John Harger, for Arthur McClure, for John Armstrong, for Paul Whitley, for Jonathan Whitley, for James Todd, for James Davis, for John Poage, for James McGavock, for John Maxwell, for Michael Dougherty, for John Mitchell, for James Gilmore, for James Bates, for John McCallum, for Richard Woods, for Edward Sharp, for Audley Paul, for Wm. Mathews, for Richard Mathews, for John Mathews.
- Page 385.--1765: Processioned by Collier and McCampbell, viz: For William McCamey, for Jno. Beatty (Samuel Norrad present), for Solomon Whitley, for Wm. Gilmore, for Robt. Erwin, for Jno. McKee, for Andw. McCampbell, for Henry Kirkham, for Edward Fairies, for James Campbell, for Alex. Deal, for John Gilmore, for Moses Cunningham for Robt. Hamilton, for James McCalster, for Hugh Cunningham, for George McConne; for Wm. Moore, Michael Kirkham present; for James Young, for Robert McKelhenny, for Margery Crawford, for Saml. Todd, for Rob. Young, for James Hutton, for James Todd, for George Gibson for Alex. Collier, for Jno. Hanna, for Robt. Talford, for Robt. McHenry, for David Talford, for William Hall, for John McMurtrey, for James Davies, for Robt. McKee, for Jno. Somers, for Jno. Huston, for Jno. Wylie, for Jno. McConne, for Archd. Buchanan, for Wm. Porter, for Jno. Wieley.
Records of James Todd in Augusta County, VA
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 21, 1753. - (415) Joseph Long and James Young, overseers, with Robert Young, Joseph Long, Samuel Gibson, Solomon Whitley, John Collier, William Hall, Gilbert Crawford, George Gibson, John Ruckman, Thomas Burton, Wm. Wadington, Wm. Brown, James Moore, John Hanna, James Huston, Wm. Todd, James Bats, James Todd, James Young, Patrick Young, John Carr and James Campbell--keep the road from Joseph Long's Mill to James Young's Mill, thence to the Great Road on James Thompson's Plantation.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH, 1758 (C). - Samuel Davis vs. James Todd.--Suit for dower of Hannah, wife of Samuel and daughter of James.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER, 1758 (B). - Samuel Davis vs. James Tod.--Samuel Davis married Hannah Tod, daughter of James Tod, in 1758.
- Page 196.--18th November, 1762. Joseph Walker and Isabella Young's settlement of estate of Patrick Young. Recorded. Paid John Law, Jno. Taylor, Thos. Stuart, Jno. Hall and Saml. McMurty, James Todd, Gilbert Crawford, Stephen Orson, Jno. Hickman, David Dryden, Hugh Cunningham, Ro. McElhenny, Wm. Hall. Sale bill to Jno. Collier. Jas. Davis, Andrew Hall, Jas. O'Bryan, Saml. McMurty, Geo. Gibson, Isabella Young.
- Page 109.--19th August, 1706 (s/b 1766). William ( ) Hall and Jannet ( ) to James Hall, their son, £5, 150 acres in Forks of James; corner James Todd, Samuel McMurtree's line, Maryan Crafford's line. Teste: John Milliken. John Moore, Nathaniel Hall.
- Page 513.--15th August, 1769. William McBride and Martha to Edward Erwin, £50, 152 acres in Forks of James, part of tract belonging to William. Delivered: James Todd, 22d June, 1772.
- Vol. 1 - December 23, 1799.--Jane Todd, widow of James Todd, deceased, relinquishes her right to administer in favor of her son, George Todd.
- Vol. 2 - David Martin vs. Jean Todd (Relict) Thomas, Robert and Mary Todd, heirs of James Todd--O. S. 41; N. S. 14--Spa. 10th April, 1804, directed to Washington.
Help fund new features!