James Spence, Sr.
m. bef. 1748
- James Spence, Sr.abt 1748 - aft 1793
- William Spence - bef 1798
Facts and Events
||James Spence, Sr.
||to Jane Bluford
James Spence was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 221.--20th July, 1781. Margret (mark) Spouel's will (of Tinkling Spring)--To be buried at discretion of Alexander Thompson, Sr.; to granddaughters, Agnes, Martha, Margret, Sarah Thompson; to son-in-law, Alexander Thompson, executor. Teste: James Spence, Mary Palmer, Robert Thompson. Proved, 19th February, 1782, by Spence and Thompson.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST, 1785 (A). - James Spence vs. John Graham.--Writ, 7th September, 1782.--James Graham deposes, 3d January, 1784. He was a son of John Graham.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST, 1788 (R to Z). - James Spence vs. James Graham et als.-Writ, 13th March, 1783. Chancery. James Graham was son of John Graham, and brother of Christopher Graham. Spence was drafted and served at the siege of York. James Graham absconded and went to Kentucky. James Graham went on a tour of duty to Carolina as a substitute for John Patrick, James Gillespy has a brother, John. John Gilespy's wife was Elizabeth.
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Bond - 1790--May 19, John Chesnutt and Anne Palmer, daughter of Wm. Palmer; surety, James Spence.
- Vol. 2 - JUDGMENTS. SEPTEMBER, 1790 (H to Z). - James Spence--Appeal from Augusta. Debt, 1783.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST, 1791 (H to W). - James Spence vs. John Gray and his son, Alexander Gray, deceased, and his son, John, Jr.--Chancery.
- Vol. 1 - MAY, 1794. - Hugh Nelson vs. James Spence.--In 1785. Orator bought from defendant 130 acres, giving note for purchase money, afore which defendant sued and got judgment without making title. Bill to enjoin judgment until title made.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH, 1795 (A to H). - James Dunlop vs. James Spence.--19th February, 1793. William Spence, son of James. Jane Spence makes oath July, 1795, her husband, James Spence, etc. Robert Douglas had moved to Campbell County, 1794. George Rust lived in same county. William Kilbreath has lately gone to French Broad.
About James Spence
- James Spence was born about 1748 and died after 1793. He married Jane Bluford, who was born about 1751 and died ca. 1795. James and Jane had 3 known children, William, Bluford Thorpe, and James Spence. There were probably other children possibly Moses Spence and Issac Spence of Georgia. James Spence spent the winter of 1778 at Valley Forge, so his descendants are eligible for membership in the society of Valley Forge Patriots. [Source: http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~willspnc/james2.htm]
Help fund new features!