Facts and Events
James Rutherford was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
James Rutnerford's land (Borden Tract NE, 322½ acres, acquired from John Wallace in 1755; part of John Wallace's original 895-acre patent) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 538.--18th March, 1755. John Wallace, plantationer, to James Rutherford, plantationer, £20, 322-1/2 acres of Borden's tract on Walker's Creek: corner Wm. Reagh; Archibald Reagh's corner. Livery, &c. Delivered: John Buchanan, weaver, September, 1755. (Note: John Wallace was the son-in-law of James Rutherford).
From Chalkley's Augusta County, Virginia Court Records:
- Page 143 - - 24th December, 1760. James Rutherford's will, weaver - - Wife, Margaret; son, Samuel, deaf and bumb. My son (in-law), John Wallace, and my son (in-law), Thos Hudson. Executors, wife Margaret and Wm. Buchanan. Teste: William Thompson, Archibald Buchanan, James Buchanan, Wm. Buchanan. Proved 17th August, 1768, by Archibald Buchanan.
- Page 135.--7th July, 1768. James Rutherford's estate appraised, by Joseph Culton, John Berry, John Walker; John McCampbel's bond; Thos. Hutson's; Mat. Moorchead's.
- Page 119.--18th May, 1768. James Rutherford's will was presented by Wm. Buchanan, one of the executors, who refused to execute. It is proved that Margaret, the willow, likewise refuses. Will is proved, by William Buchanan (another witness, James Buchanan, being dead). The other witness, Archibald Buchanan, is ordered summoned. Administration granted Alex. Walker.
- Page 219.--17th June, 1769. Margaret Rutherford's receipt to Alexander Walker, executor of James Rutherford, for her portion of her husband's estate. Teste: William Buchanan, Thos. Hutson, John Wallace.
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Vol. 2 - Page 178.--1756: Processioned by Andrew Hays and Jacob Anderson, viz: For Capt. Joseph Culton, for John Stuart, for Robert Stuart, for Alex. McCroskey, for Alex. Miller, for James Moor, for James Robson, for Wm. Reach, for Robert Roech, for James Ritherfoard, for Jno. Bounton, for Wm. Givin, for Robert Culton, for Wm. Porter, for John McCroskey, for Wm. Buchanan, for Charles Hays, for Alex. Walker, Jr., for Alex. Walker, Sr., for James Walker, for John Walker, for John Wallis, for Andrew Hays, for Jacob Anderson.
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 145--Wm. Patton, aged 64, deposes, in Rockbridge, 7th November, 1806, he has lived in Rockbridge 56 years since last May. After the Revolution there was a rapid increase of immigration from the North. James Wardlaw and deponent's father were intimate. James had a son Hugh and a son Robert. There were Indian troubles for about 10 years. Fifty years ago there was a fort at McClung; the last incursion was 43 years ago, when 16 or 17 people were killed. Deponent helped bury them and they were attacked at the burial. These were very early settlers, viz: James, Alexr. Saml. Walker, James Moore, Saml. Coalter, Jno. Wallace, Archd. Rhea, James Rutherford, James Buchanan, Andrew and Charles Hays. Deponent was born September, 1742. McDowell was killed Christmas or New Year's, after his birth. (Note: William Patton appears to have listed residents who may have been living nearby and/or whose families may have had members killed in the Indian incursions during the 1760's).
Margaret and James are said to be cousins. They are believed to have come to America about abt 1738, and had three children: Samuel, born deaf, Jean, and Isabel.
Husband: James RUTHERFORD
Born: ABT 1684 at: Ireland
Married: UNKNOWN at:
Died: 26 APR 1768 at: Augusta Co., VA
Wife: Margaret MCMAHAN
Born: UNKNOWN at:
Died: ABT 1774 at:
Name: Jean RUTHERFORD
Born: UNKNOWN at:
Married: UNKNOWN at:
Died: UNKNOWN at:
Spouses: Thomas HUTSON
- ↑ Genealogy of the Descendants of John Walker of Wigdon, Scotland, 1.