James Robertson, Jr., of Beverley Manor, Augusta County, VA
m. bef. 1721
- William Robertson, of Beverley Manor, Augusta County, VA1718/19 - 1812
- Matthew Robertson, of Beverley Manor, Augusta County, VA1720 - AFT 1786
- James Robertson, Jr., of Beverley Manor, Augusta County, VAabt 1720 - Bef 1754
- Elizabeth RobertsonABT 1721 -
- Jean RobertsonABT 1731 -
Facts and Events
||James Robertson, Jr., of Beverley Manor, Augusta County, VA
||Coleraine, Northern Ireland
||17 AUG 1736
||Arrived in Orange (later Augusta) County, virginia, O. Book 1, pg. 106.
||Came to America from Coleraine, Northern Ireland
||18 Aug 1743
||Augusta County, Virginiato Elizabeth Crawford
||11 SEP 1751
||Augusta County, VirginiaWill dated
||Bef. 20 Nov. 1754
||Augusta County, Virginia
||20 NOV 1754
||Augusta County, VirginiaWill proved
James Robertson was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Will of James Robertson
- From Chalkley's Augusta County Records:
- 11th September, 1754. James Robertson's will - - To wife (with child); sons, George and Alexander; to each of daughters (?) 'till the heirs come of age. Executors, Matthew Robertson, John Poage. Teste: Wm. Robertson. Alex. Matheson, Jno. Craig. 20th November, 1754. Proved by Rev. Jno. Craig and Robertson. Executors refused to execute and widow Elizabeth qualified executrix, with sureties John Poage and Saml. Henderson. Elizabeth's mark.
- Page 36.--March, 1754 [1755?]. James Robertson's inventory by Jas. Campbell, Ephraim Voss, John Robeson.
- Page 96.--19th March, 1755. James Robertson's appraisement, by Robert Patterson, Wm. Baskins, Danl. Denison.
Information on James Robertson
- Subj: Kerr and Robertson
- Date:1/10/99 6:17:04 AM Pacific Standard Time
- From:rvdubel@@email.msn.com (Bob Dubel)
- Page 139 gives the Robertson family. I thought for awhile that my husband had the Jane (Jean) Robertson ancestor, but nobody could prove that she was a Robertson. So I kept the James Kerr and changed Jane (Jean) back to --- (surname unknown). Anyway, that page says:
- 1. James Robertson and his son, James, Jr., came to America in 1737 from Coleraine, North Ireland. On 18 Feb., 1743 James bought 274 acres from John Lewis, lying on Lewis' Creek. This land was left to his son, James Jr.
- II-1. James Robertson, Jr., born in Coleraine, North Ireland, came to America with his father in 1737. He and his father settled in Augusta County, Virginia. He married Elizabeth Crawford, a daughter of Alexander and Ann Crawford. In 1740 James and Elizabeth were members of the Rockfish Meeting House. Their children were all baptized at Tinkling Spring, the headwaters of the Freedom River. James died in 1754. His will was dated Sep. 11, 1751, recorded for probate Nov. 20, 1754, in Augusta County, Virginia. He left his land on Lewis' Creek to his two sons, George and Alexander. (Will Book 2, p.72). Elizabeth Crawford Robertson died in 1759. Her estate was listed and recorded Aug. 16, 1759. (Will Book 2, p.329).
- III-1-1. Jane (Jean) Robertson, born 1739, baptized 22 Feb., 1741, married James Kerr, born 1725/6, son of James Kerr, Sr..
Deed Book I, p. 65, 18 Feb 1743: acknowledged in Orange Co. 23 Feb 1 743. John and Margaret Lewis to James Robertson, 274 acres, Beverley Ma nor, on Lewis Creek; lines and corners: Daniel Deniston, James Trimble, ( Rev.) John Craig. Dower of Margaret Lewis released in Augusta Co. 15 Ap r 1746.
- Other issue:
- 1) Ann - bapt. 20 Jun 1742 by Rev. John Craig; married c1760 Zechariah J ohnston; d. 1804, Rockbridge Co., VA where the Johnstons had moved from A ugusta Co. in the 1790s. They had 11 children.
- 2) George - bapt. 24 Apr 1744 by Rev. John Craig; known to be in Botet ourt Co., VA by 1777; married to Jane __?__; also removed to KY. Very l ittle else is known of him or his family.
- 3) Elizabeth - bapt. 26 Feb 1746 by Rev. John Craig; married John Shan klin in Nov 1767; lived in Rockingham Co., VA.
- 4) Alexander - bapt. 10 Jan 1748 by Rev. John Craig; married 18 Aug 17 73 to Margaret Robertson in Bedford Co., VA; living in Montgomery Co., V A in 1777. By 1779 living in what became (in 1786) Mercer Co., KY, wher e he d. 15 Aug 1802. Margaret Robertson, b. 13 Apr 1755 on the Roanoke R iver; d. 13 Jun 1846, Mercer Co., KY. They had 7 children, among them J udge George Robertson, who wrote a history of the family. A distinguish ed jurist, member of Congress, Robertson County, KY was named for him.
- 5) Rebeckah - b. c1752; married William Dunlap 21 Mar 1772; lived in S helby Co., KY.
- James died shortly before his daughter, Sarah, was born.
- Birth: 1729 in Coleraine, County Antrim, N. Ireland
- Death: NOV 1754 in Augusta Co., Virginia
- see Will Book 2, p. 72
- Probate: 20 NOV 1754 Augusta Co., Virginia
- Will: 11 SEP 1754 Augusta Co., Virginia
- Note: Will Book 2, p. 72. He stated in his will that his wife was pregnant (w ith Sarah). Executors: Matthew Robertson and John Poage. Test: William R obertson, Alexander Matheson, (Rev.) John Craig. The widow, Elizabeth, e xecuted on the will after both Matthew Robertson and John Poage refused .
- Jean ROBERTSON b: 1739
- Alexander ROBERTSON b: 22 NOV 1748 in Staunton, Augusta County, Virginia
- George ROBERTSON b: ABT 1750 in Staunton, Augusta County, Virginia
- Rebecca ROBERTSON b: 3 JUL 1751 in Staunton, Augusta County, Virginia
- Child ROBERTSON b: ABT 1753 in Staunton, Augusta County, Virginia
- James ROBERTSON b: 1754 in Staunton, Augusta County, Virginia
- Sarah Jane ROBERTSON b: 1755 in Augusta Co., Virginia
- Child ROBERTSON b: 1756 in Staunton, Augusta County, Virginia
- William ROBERTSON
- Abbrev: Robertson
- Title: compiled by Katherine G. Bushman, "Robertson of Long Meadow Run, August a County, Virginia" (Katherine G. Bushman, 12 Taylor, Staunton, VA 2440 1) a County, Virginia" a County, Virginia". Katherine G. Bushman, 12 Taylor, Staunton, VA 2440
- 1. Text: at pp. 3-4 Abbrev: Hogsett/Hogshead Title: compiled by Mary Hakes Jones, 1951 (now deceased), "The Genealogical Re cord of the Hogshead Family of America" Transcribed and indexed, includ ing margin notes, corrections and additions, by Jean T. Gillett, 1991 ( 134 Lido Circle, Sacramento CA 95826-1615) cord of the Hogshead Family of America" cord of the Hogshead Family of America". Transcribed and indexed, inclu ding margin notes, corrections and additions, by Jean T. Gillett, 1991 ( 134 Lido Circle, Sacramento CA 95826-1615).
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Benning, edited by Neblock. Francois Benin & his descendants and allied families. (1981).
- ↑ Wilson, Howard McKnight. The Tinkling Spring, Headwater of Freedom. (Privatetly published by The Tinkiling Spring and Hermitage Presbyterian Churches, pub. Fishersville, Virginia), pg. 428.
Help fund new features!