Facts and Events
James Reyburn was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 122.--21st March, 1753. Alexander Gibson to James Reburn, 1753, 79-1/2 acres on Moffet's Creek of Cathey's River, below John Davison's land. Teste: John King, John Archer, David Trimble.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 84.--19th November, 1760. James Reburn and Elizabeth ( ) to son Joseph Reburn, £5, 93 acres on Moffets Branch of Middle River, part of 130 acres and also a small part of a survey of acres on which said James now lives; cor. Wm. Mathews. Delivered: Joseph Reaburn, August. 1763.
Records of James Reyburn in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 20, 1754. - (109) Mary, wife of Alexr. Gibson, released dower in 26 1/2 acres conveyed by Alexr. to James Reaburn.
- Vol. 1 - Vol. 1 - APRIL 20, 1763. - (31) James Reaburn complains that William McMullen does not provide clothes nor teach a trade to his apprentice, Henry Reaburn. (Note: Henry was apparently his brother Edward's son, who is also referenced in the following records).
- Vol. 1 - JUNE 25, 1763. - (211) Complaint of James Reaburn vs. Wm, McMollen, for ill-using his apprentice, Henry Reaburn, is dismissed as frivolous.
- Page 274.--25th June. 1763. James Reyburn's bond (with John Nickel) as guardian (chosen) to Henry Reyburn, orphan of Edward Reyburn. (Note: Edward Reyburn was James' brother).
- Page 502.--28th February, 1764. Alex. Craig, Jr., ( ) and Elizabeth ( ) to James Gamble, £25, 138 acres on a small branch of Middle River of Shanandoe, part of 335 acres patented to Alex Craig, Sr., and conveyed by him to Alex. Craig, Jr., 18th May, 1762; corner James Gamble. Teste: Alex. and Jno. Blair. Delivered: Jas. Raebum by your order, April, 1766
- Page 330.--24th March, 1764. Henry Horse's vendue bill recorded-- To Charles Kilpatrick, Jno. Water, Jno. Malkem, Jas. Reyburn, Danl. Love, Chas. Dever, Edward McGarry, Wm. Dyer, Sarah Nare, Ezrah Shipman, Roger Dyer, Jno. Dunkell, Michael Props, Benj. Scott, Peter Nare, Elizabeth Wilfong, Henry Wagener, Christian Goose, Michael Rhine (Ryan), Adam Roudenboush, Michl. Mallow, James Knox, George Scott, Peter Smith.
- Page 464.--22d August, 1766. Thomas Davis' appraisement (by Jas. Reyburn, Jos. Reaburn, Wm. Mathews), recorded. (Note: this appears to be James and his son Joseph).
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 20, 1767. - (366) George Francis, James and Adam Reaburn, to view improvements of John Archer on 345 acres and 75 acres.
- Page 76.--8th March, 1768. Valuation of stock on John Archer's 75 acres and 245 acres by George Francis, James Reaburn, Adam Reaburn.
- Page 203.--6th July, 1773. Ladowak Shadow's will--Executor, Jacob Doran, sole heir, "loving friend Jacob Doran." Teste: Wm. Mathews, James Reburn, John Nickle. Proved, 15th March, 1774, by Mathews and Nickle. Jacob Doran qualifies with William Mathews.
- Page 265.--24 March, 1755. John (his __ mark) Nichel's will--To wife. Barbara; to eldest son. John; to sons, Joseph and Isaac; to son, Thomas; to daughter, Elizabeth. Executors, wife Barbara and her brother, Andrew McCombe. Teste: Alexander Blair, James Reburn. Proved, 17th August, 1774, by the witnesses. Executors qualify (Barbara's __ mark) with John Poage, Joseph Reburn. (Note: this appears to be James and his son Joseph).
- Page 287.--19th May, 1778. Henry Waterson and Ann ( ), of Botetourt, to Samuel Woods, of Amherst. Delivered: Claudius Bustard, August, 1780. Page 289.--19th May, 1777. Privy examination of Ann to above before Joseph, James and John Reaburn.
Information on James Reyburn
- James REYBURN
- BET 1706 AND 1710 - 11 JAN 1799
- PROPERTY: 20 MAR 1754, Bought land on Moffets Creek of Catheys River
- BIRTH: BET 1706 AND 1710, Lancaster, Pennsylvania
- DEATH: 11 JAN 1799, Montgomery County, Virginia
- Father: Joseph RAYBURN
- Mother: Margaret COURTNEY
- Family 1 :
- +Joseph REYBURN , Sr
- Family 2 : Elizabeth COLE
- MARRIAGE: 1732, Augusta County, Virginia
- +Robert RAYBURN
- +Joseph RAYBURN
- John RAYBURN
- Adam RAYBURN
- Margaret RAYBURN
- James RAYBURN