Facts and Events
James Ochiltree was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Information from "Kaess/Ochiltree/Swartz Family History":
- James Ochiltree, born 1740-5 in Northern Ireland or Scotland, took a voyage in perhaps 1760 across the Atlantic to America. Signed the Oath of Allegiance in 1777, and settled in Rockbridge County, VA, by 1783. He married Catharine Ochiltree. Presbyterian. Family lore states he brought church certificate from overseas. James Ochiltree may have been a brother to Michael Ochiltree C.2. who came from Co Armagh, Northern Ireland in 1793.
- He had six children.
- D.l. John Ochiltree; born about 1767; d. 1840. m. Catharine , letter states he bequeathed land to South Hanover, Indiana, Theological Union that later became McCormick Theological Seminary of Chicago. Co-Founder of Greencastle College. No children.
- D.2. Nancy Ochiltree; m. Wm. Clancy. (s/b James Clancey)
- D.3. Martha Ochiltree
- D.4. James Ochiltree
- D.5. Capt Thomas Ochiltree
- D.6. Jenet Ochiltree
- [Source: http://www.idreamof.com/familynames/kaess.html]