b.28 September 1728
Facts and Events
James McCarroll was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
About James McCarroll
James McCarrell came to America probably from Scotland or Ireland. He came to Virginia from Pennsylvania prior to 1748, when he received a patent for 130 acres on Cub Run. He also acquired at least two other tracts of land in Augusta County (as listed below), before selling them by 1761. His land appears to have been located in that part of Augusta County that became Botetourt in 1768. He later migrated to Knox County, Tennessee, where his will was proven in 1813. According to some LDS sources, James McCarrell may have been a widower, and was apparently several years older than his wife, Margaret McKibben (McGibbon).
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- James McCarroll received a patent for "130 acres patented to James McCarroll, 20th September, 1748, on Cub Run, Crosswait's line", (as listed in Chalkley's records below).
- James McCarroll received a patent for 275 acres "on a branch of North River of Shanando. Cor. David Lojo." on 5 July 1751, (as listed in the dispositions and records below).
- James McCarroll received a patent for 260 acres "at a place called Snoden's Spring" before 27 March 1761, (as listed in the dispositions and records below).
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 448.--19th August, 1752. James McCarral (McCarrol) to Morrice Pound, 130 acres. Between Cub Run and Peaked Mountain; Crosswait's line.
- Page 235.--10th May, 1754. James McCarroll to Valentine Pence, 275 acres by patent 5th July, 1751, on a branch of North River of Shanando. Cor. David Lojo.
- Page 315.--27th March, 1761. James McCarrell to John Joans (Jones), £12, 260 acres at a place called Snoden's Spring. Teste: William and Joseph Cravens, James Robertson. Delivered: John Jones, November, 1764.
Will Extract of James McCarroll
- James McCarroll's will probated in Knox County, TN, Oct 1813. Children mentioned are William, Jenny, Salley and Joseph, William, Lettie, Mary, Nancy, Hann__. James and Margaret had 11 children
Records of James McCarroll in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - 1755 -- DELINQUENTS. - James McCarroll, no estate.
- Page 5.--16th October, 1760. Maurice Poutz (signed Pound), of Fairfax, to John Peter Gully, £__, 130 acres patented to James McCarroll, 20th September, 1748, on Cub Run, Crosswait's line. Teste: Jno. Kurtz, Jacob Curtnes, Anna Curtnes, Peter Hog, Henry Pirgy, Henry Sellar. Philip Horless. Delivered: John Peter Gaily.
- Page 20.--17th November, 1761. Peter Miller, executor of Valentine Pence, to Valentine Malchier, £25, 275 acres on North River of Shanandore, first granted to James McCarrel by patent, 5th July, 1751, and conveyed to Valentine Pence and devised by Pence; cor. David Logan. Delivered to Valentine Melchior, October, 1786.
- Page 435.--At a place called Snoddon's Spring, patented to James McCarrell. 10th August, 1769.
- April 18, 1797. Botetourt County Marriages: Patrick Glenn and Jane McCarroll. Bond: Levi Dalliner, con; James McCarroll, father. Witness: Levi N. Dalliner; Minister: William P. Bishop
- Familysearch submissions
Help fund new features!