James Hughart, Sr.
Facts and Events
James Hughart was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- James Hughart received a patent for land (location and # of acres not listed) on 10th April, 1751, as listed in the Chalkley's record below:
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 368.-(undated, bet. 16 August-12 October 1784) - Thomas Hughart and James Hughart and Margaret to Nathan Crawford, tract patented to James Hughart, Sr., 10th April, 1751, and devised to Thomas and James, his youngest son; corner John Cartmill. Teste: Andrew Sitlington, John Dean, Hugh Brown.
Estate Records of James Hughart
- Page 106.--17th May, 1768. James Hugart's estate appraisement, by James McCoy, Charles Donnerley, John Cartmill, recorded.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - MAY 21, 1747. - (198) Saml. Delap appd. Constable, vice Nath. McClure; John Spear, Constable, vice Jno. Trimble; James Galespy, Constable, vice Wm. Wright; Ro. Ramsey, Constable, vice Thos Black; Alexr. McCroskie, Constable, vice Charles Hays; John Erwin, Constable, vice James Hogshead; James Hogart and Wallace Ashton, Constables, vice James Maies; Thos. Cohoon and David Miller, Constables, on Roan Oke; Archd. Hamilton and David Stevenson, Constables, vice Danl. Deniston; James Slone, Constable, vice James Hony; Geo. Draper, Peter Rentfro and James Cohoon, Constables, vice Humb. Lyon; John Ramsey, Constable, vice Wm. Guy; James Beard and John Maggot, Constables, vice Adam Miller; Andrew Scot, Constable, vice John Ramsey; John Campbell, Constable, vice Ro. Givin; John Leath, Constable, vice Elisha Job; Valentine Sevear, Constable, vice Wm. Carroll; John States, Constable, vice James Robinson; Ro. Montgomerie and John McClintin, Constables, vice Wm. Scot.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 22, 1764. - (169) Thomas Bowyer, added to tithables. Michael Bowyer, servant Tom, and 226 acres, added to tithables. Wm. Henderson, one other, and 765 acres, added to tithables. James Henderson and 450 acres, added to tithables. Nathan Gilliland and 332 1/2 acres, added to tithables. John Buchanan, three others. and 489 acres, added to tithables. Wm. Crow, four others, added to tithables. Moses Williams, George Bigham. James Hugart, Francis Gardner, and John Askin, added to tithables.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST, 1765. - John Smith and Mary, late Mary Stevenson, vs. James Hughart.--Writ, 28 May, 1765. Account to my wife's freedom dues.
Information on James Hughart
- Page 226.--17th March, 1768. William Hugart to Andrew and Thomas Lewis, £120, 490 acres on Meadow Creek, a branch of Jackson's River at a place known as the Great Meadow, patented to John Dickenson, 26th _____, 1760, conveyed by John to William 21st August, 1766.
- FEBRUARY, 1763 (A). - Hugart vs. Bratton.--January 25th, 1758. Capt. Dunlap. Sir:--Please to pay unto Thomas Hugart my pay when it comes into your hands, both my old time and new, and also three pound, twelve, that you were to stop in your own hand, and take his receipt, which I shall acknowledge, as, sir, you are not to fail to pay him, for I had money of him to the full value of my time. Sir, your compliance will very much oblige your friend and very humble servant. (Signed) Josias Wilson.