Facts and Events
James Edmiston was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Will of James Edmiston
- Pg. 168 - Will of James Edmiston, dated Aug. 17, 1817
- Wit: William Poage, Robert Rhea, John Grimes
- Probated November 1817 Court
- Exec: trusty friends John Smith and William Edmiston
- Beq: to well beloved wife Jane 2 work horses, one gray and one bay, farm utensils, 4 cows, 12 sheep, 8 hogs of her choice; Negro man Joseph, black boy William, girl Milley; all household and kitchen furniture; "use and benefit of the dwelling house and kitchen" for her life, and "my part of the crop as well as that in the ground as well as that in the barn" with the same priviledge in the future.
- to daughter Margaret Negro girl Sarah
- to son William "my proportion" of land on the Fryer Nobs, held in partnership with others; this is exclusive of what he has heretofore received
- to son Andrew $10 exclusive of what he has already received
- to daughter Susana, Negro woman Polly and "her now sucking child"
- to son Mathew $10 exclusive of what already received
- to daughter Jane $10 exclusive of previous gifts
- to daughter Rebeca $50 out of Susana's legacy and $200 from sale of the estate
- to daughter Anne Gilliland of Mason Co., Negro girl Flora
- the balance is to be sold: horse creatures, cattle, sheep and hogs, and from this and bonds $200 goes to Rebeca and the balance equally to the children named here and his wife who is to receive a child's share
- [Abstract of Wills and Inventories of Bath County, 1791-1842, Bruns, pg. 86].
4. JAMES3 EDMISTON (MATHEW2 EDMUNDSON, JAMES1) was born October 07, 1746 in Augusta Co, VA, and died October 07, 1817 in Bath (Pocahontas) Co., VA. He married JANE SMITH 1769. She was born October 17, 1746 in Ireland, and died May 20, 1837 in Bath (Pocahontas) Co., VA.
- Children of JAMES EDMISTON and JANE SMITH are:
- 7. i. REBECCA4 EDMISTON, d. Bef. 1850.
- ii. MARGARET EDMISTON, b. Abt. 1773; m. GEORGE MOORE, November 19, 1791, Bath Co. VA.
- iii. WILLIAM EDMISTON, b. Abt. 1775, Bath Co., VA; d. 1848; m. REBECCA WALKUP, 1802.
- 8. iv. ANDREW EDMISTON, b. July 22, 1777; d. April 06, 1865, Pocohantas Co., VA.
- v. SUSANNAH EDMISTON, b. September 1779; d. March 19, 1857; m. JAMES CALLISON, March 14, 1797.
- vi. JANE EDMISTON, b. Abt. 1780; m. NATHAN GILLILAND, May 07, 1800.
- 9. vii. MATHEW EDMISTON, b. December 17, 1781, Greenbrier Co , VA; d. May 06, 1860, Gallia Co, OH.
- viii. NANCY ANN EDMISTON, b. 1789; d. 1832; m. WILLIAM GILLILAND; b. Mason Co., VA.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Ovvan D. Edmondson, editior - 4747 Westminster Circle, Eagan, MN 55122-2756. Edmondson Family Association Bulletin, Jan-Mar, 1999.
- ↑ Wilson, Howard McKnight. The Tinkling Spring, Headwater of Freedom. (Privatetly published by The Tinkiling Spring and Hermitage Presbyterian Churches, pub. Fishersville, Virginia), pg. 474.