b.Est. Bef. 1739
Facts and Events
||Est. Bef. 1739
James Cowden was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 59.--17th October, 1769. Thomas Paxton and Rebekah ( ) to James McDowell, Samuel McDowell and James Cowdon, £52, 378 acres, part of Borden's 92,100; Alexander Telford's line; corner James McCampbell. Teste: Isaac Anderson, James McCampbell, Alexander Sinclair. James Robinson. Delivered: Samuel McDowell, 17th August, 1772.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 194.--2d March, 1772. Samuel McDowell and Mary, and James Cowdon, surviving joint tenants (James McDowell, the other joint tenant being dead), to Alexander Stuart, part of Borden's 92100. Teste: Samuel and James Lyle, William Alexander, John McDowell.
Processioning List of 1760
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Page 276.--1760: Processioned in Capt. Moore's Company by John Stephson, Nathaniel Evins: For Nathaniel Evins, for Wm. McCreerey, for Thos. Willson, for John Stevenson, for John McClung, for Wm. McClung, for Alex. Moore, for Adam Reed, for Wm. Hays, for Wm. Paris, for Thomas Bard, for John Cunningham, for Mathew Huston, for John Mountgumery, for Wm. Moore, for Wm. Lockridge, for Thomas Boyd, for John Boyd, for Thomas Hill, for Robert Ware (Wire), for Wm. Hays, for Wm. Beard, for Wm. Wardlaw, for Andrew Steel, for James Steel, for Joseph Kennedy, for John Lowry, for Samuel Huston, for James Eakins, for John Hanly, for John Logan, for Alex. Logan, for Alex. McNutt, for James McNutt, for John Rosman, for Andrew Dunkin, for John Wardlaw, for Wm. McCanless, for James Cowdan, for John Moore.
Records of James Cowden in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 21, 1759. - (319) Thomas Gardner and James Cowder, qualified Ensigns of Militia.
- Vol. 1 - FEBRUARY, 1763. - Cowden and Executor vs. Fitzgerald.--James Cowden and Elizabeth, late Elizabeth Wilson, executrix of Samuel Wilson.
- Page 20.--8th August, 1766. Borden's executors to John Dunlap, £11, 150 acres, part of 92100, on Hays Creek, Samuel Dunlap's line, chesnut on Mount Miserable (Missorable). Teste: Benj. Hawkins, James Cowden.
- Page 111.--16th November, 1766. Samuel Patterson and Martha ( ) to James Patterson, £21.16.8, 80 acres whereon said James now lives; corner James Cowdon. Delivered: J. Patterson, 16th October, 1786.
- Page 21.--25th August, 1767. Samuel Cowdon to Mathew Willson and James Cowdon, chairs and beds in trust to secure payment of £20 to Samp and George Mathews for which Mathew and James are security for Samuel. Teste: Susanna ( ) Cockran, John Murray, Pat. Lockhart.
- Vol. 1 - MAY, 1768 (A). - James Logan vs. James Cowdon.--1767. Witness, Jane Steel, wife of Robert Steel.
- Vol. 1 - MAY, 1768 (A). - James Cowdon, debtor to Mathew Reed and Hugh Johnston. Sundries.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST, 1769 (A). - David Looney vs. Wm. Crow, John Stewat, James Cowden, Hugh Hays and James Huston.--Stewart arrested, August, 1767.